Making my own music

...and stuff

Moderator: Capt. Black

majinbuu1023
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Making my own music

Post by majinbuu1023 »

ive made a few riffs that i think are freaking mean but I really want to know more about making my own music, what should I learn about if im interested in making my own music, especially metal solos thx

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Re: Making my own music

Post by Basket Case »

The best thing I think you could do is to get some recording software and start recording your ideas. Get something that allows you to program drum patterns and start turning your riffs into songs.

If you have a Mac then get working with Garageband. If you have a PC, then throw it in the ocean, get a Mac and get working with Garageband. :lol:
Last edited by Basket Case on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

majinbuu1023 wrote:ive made a few riffs that i think are freaking mean but I really want to know more about making my own music, what should I learn about if im interested in making my own music, especially metal solos thx
How about working on a whole song, the solo is only one aspect - tell a story and be prepared to write a lot of shit before you come up with anything coherent that anyone will actually listen too....

*moved the thread*
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

DSilence
Ashton
Ashton

Post by DSilence »

I listen to a whole heap of music which gives me song structure ideas, I usually write riffs based on an idea riff I had to begin with & juggle them into order, solos come last over top & jamming for something that fits the song right. Its good to try alot of ideas together, like a few different riffs in the same key (or not sometimes) that can often take songs in a different direction than you originally thought but in a good way?

Ok Im babbling!
OBG Les Paul Custom
LTD EC500
SX Telecaster
5150II

http://www.reverbnation.com/thynameless

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

You may be surprised to know that Metal solos have their roots in country music. If you write songs and solos in a country style and they really work as in, they sound good to you, then they will be KILLA when you crank the gain, scoop the mids, whack in the metal muff and set the master on one.

Try it, it's true, all the big acts work this way.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Capt. Black wrote:You may be surprised to know that Metal solos have their roots in country music. If you write songs and solos in a country style and they really work as in, they sound good to you, then they will be KILLA when you crank the gain, scoop the mids, whack in the metal muff and set the master on one.

:shock: i woulda thought more classical than country :wink:

but i cant stand C&W :?
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

...and always record every idea you have, even if it doesn't make sense now, you may wake up one morning and think - yes those lyrics would fit that new riff, or vice versa....

Or just set your missus away writing lyrics and work on the music, she's churned out another 2 great songs this week and is working on another. Lyrics Machine Mk1... feck I can't keep up with music :eek:
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

bluesgeek wrote:...and always record every idea you have,
+everything on that.
i dont know how many awesome (IMVHO :wink: ) riffs etc i have forgotten because i didnt record them :cry:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Ironbird13 wrote:
+everything on that.
i dont know how many awesome (IMVHO :wink: ) riffs etc i have forgotten because i didnt record them :cry:
I have great ideas in the middle of the night.... fortunately I'm usually still awake so bang them straight down into audition/cubase.... a lot of them don't get used but I have a sexy riff there still waiting for a song.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Oh yes there's a definite classical element in a significant sector of the metal sub-genres.... but I said, "all the big acts...." ;) 8)

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

Capt. Black wrote:but I said, "all the big acts...." ;) 8)
yeah i'll agree, all the newer Metalicker is pretty country :wink: :lol:

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

bluesgeek wrote:
Ironbird13 wrote:
+everything on that.
I have great ideas in the middle of the night.... fortunately I'm usually still awake so bang them straight down into audition/cubase.... a lot of them don't get used but I have a sexy riff there still waiting for a song.
Me too - generally involving chainsaws,blood and howling at the moon BUT surburbia is so conventional I find - no understanding of true art - :lol:
You can't do THAT on stage!

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Capt. Black wrote:You may be surprised to know that Metal solos have their roots in country music. If you write songs and solos in a country style and they really work as in, they sound good to you, then they will be KILLA when you crank the gain, scoop the mids, whack in the metal muff and set the master on one.

srsly, those country dudes can - and do - shred in a major way.

... With sod-all gain to hide behind. :shock:
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Tsuken wrote:

srsly, those country dudes can - and do - shred in a major way.

... With sod-all gain to hide behind. :shock:
Yay! Now we need another 50,000 shredders to admit the awesome-ness of Albert Lee, and we're back to square one, only without distortion and wearing dodgy cowboy boots ;)

Ironbird13

Post by Ironbird13 »

bluesgeek wrote:Yay! Now we need another 50,000 shredders to admit the awesome-ness of Albert Lee, and we're back to square one, only without distortion and wearing dodgy cowboy boots ;)
:shock: his guitar is almost pointy :wink: