dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Reflecting on past efforts and recent improvements

Post by dayl »

I have recently been purging any unused unworkable sounds, ideas, riffs, sounds etc that have been saved in template form for cubase and have "past participle of get" rid of close to 250 or so? ideas that I had to be realistic about and move on.

I came across some cool stuff that I had totally forgotten about and was stoked to find that I was able to get a very good idea as to my mindset and skill levels as I was went all the way back to late 2003.

The good thing here is that regardless of new PC builds, reformats etc I always keeps samples in the same directory C:/Samples as a master directory so it was cool to see these suckers just load up.

Comparing where I was then to where I am now was quite teh refreshing and validating excersize as I have come leaps and bounds over what I did in the past.

But the more I went back, one thing tended to stick out. The way I used samples and aranged tracks was in a really haphazard manner, free style like and not so much in tune with the overall song but still added and genuine good raw element that has been lost over time due to improving mixes and as theory increased. I didn't care so much for the everything is musically correct, it was more about the overall sound... and it worked.

For me it was a real life experience in the whole 'unlearning' debate and I took some really important lessons away from the excersize.

I wasn't thinking outside of the box so much as I didn't have the box to begin with and was doing whatever I could to get where I wanted to go which now appears to be a little unorthadox.

This is mainly to do with production/songwriting with breaks bass and synths (guitar had left my radar back then)but can be just as relevant to the guitar.

Good news is that I was able to find some ideas from 6 or so years ago that are keepers.

From this experience I can only say that some of the best lessons can come from the past (no brainer there) and being honest with your evelustion.

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: Reflecting on past efforts and recent improvements

Post by Michael »

I just lost 100 or so songs/ideas I had in Sonar template form when my HDD crashed recently. That was a real bummer :( Had a few almost complete songs that I was starting to be really happy with.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Khann wrote:I just lost 100 or so songs/ideas I had in Sonar template form when my HDD crashed recently. That was a real bummer :( Had a few almost complete songs that I was starting to be really happy with.
Always back up your installs mate.... learnt that the hard way prior to late 03/04 :? lost a lot of good stuff and almost gave up because of it. Then there was the stuff that I stored on a mates HD while I did a rebuild only to find that he deleted it.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

Khann wrote:I just lost 100 or so songs/ideas I had in Sonar template form when my HDD crashed recently. That was a real bummer :( Had a few almost complete songs that I was starting to be really happy with.
Dude that is heartbreaking. I remember talking to the Odessa guys after their whole album was lost due to a non-backed up hard drive crash. Horrible.

For those without backups the old 'email it to myself at gmail' trick is good for smaller files or mixdowns to keep a record of a tune sounded like at a particular point.

Listening back to old riffs and demos is cool, there's always something in there you'd forgotten about. Quite often the context is gone and you can see something in a totally different light than at the point of recording. I'm still desperately trying to find a minidisc full of stuff I recorded on holiday about five years ago...
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

haven't tried it, but can gmail handle bigger uploads? They say that you have like 7 gig of personal storage on there
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Michael »

RuBear wrote:haven't tried it, but can gmail handle bigger uploads? They say that you have like 7 gig of personal storage on there
I think the max attachment size is around 1gb? I could be wrong.

Edit: Wow, I'm way off. It's 25MB.
Last edited by Michael on Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

RuBear wrote:haven't tried it, but can gmail handle bigger uploads? They say that you have like 7 gig of personal storage on there
Dunno what the file size limit is at the moment, but I've mp3'd mixdowns and sent them to myself as a record of where something's at rather than as storage of the working stuff.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Khann wrote:

Thats in the ballpark, but not quite enough for the full size wav files, at least in most situations. 100MB and you would be getting somewhere.
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Michael »

RuBear wrote:
Khann wrote:

Thats in the ballpark, but not quite enough for the full size wav files, at least in most situations. 100MB and you would be getting somewhere.
Can just .rar it and split it into 25mb parts. Bit of a hassle but it works. There are of course better ways to get your files on the net.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

For just songs backup, box.net has a good capacity.

I just did the old CD Rom backup then switched to DVD. Man, dredging through that stuff.... some of the samples :roll: UT sample etc, arcade samples.