Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Re: Concept albums

Post by matman »

raz wrote:and Ogdens Nut Gone Flake by the Small Faces
"are you sitting all comftybold two square on your botty? Then I'll begin"
Yay for Happiness Stan!

I'm a sucker for a good concept album. Marillion's Misplaced Childhood and Savatage's Streets are 2 of my all-time faves as well.
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Bowling for Soup - A Hangover You Don't Deserve, don't think it's meant to be a concept album but I get the story! lol

Otherwise Green Day's - American Idiot would be the only one I have listened to from start to finish.
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia. This may or may not be a concept album (band won't say), but there is a definite theme running through this. When I start listening to this I have to listen to the whole thing. That is what a good concept album does for me I think.

Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

mahtone
Squier

Post by mahtone »

I'm a fan of storytelling in music in general, which means I do like concept albums.

I agree with Pake - cohesiveness is a big factor for me too. I always listen by album - never use shuffle. I enjoy the package.

As a suggestion, try listening to the CD of a musical. It's similar in a way to a concept album - it's a package, and the high an low points in the storyline are carefully placed. Usually. The downside is that some shows use a lot of visuals/staging to get story points across, so you sometimes miss bits. Generally it's a well told story though.
MrSooty wrote: Yes, I have lost much saliva over that one. I can't bring myself to try it though, it'll either ruin the illusion for me or make me want to sell my children.

raz
Hagstrom

Post by raz »

oh and Berlin by Lou Reed is one that really works for me as a complete story/song cycle.

Ferking depressing too. Like a really dark film. "They're taking her children away because she was not a good mother" to the chorus of babies crying is defintely a moment.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Hot_Grits wrote:It'd be cool to make an album that had a different artist for each track, with each responding to the subject matter and music of the track before. The concept changes as each artist comes into the picture, sort of an album-long game of chinese whispers. Obviously it would have to be recorded in sequence...
That would be good. The fact that it has rarely happened is probably testament to organising that many musicians being akin to herding cats... or NZG members :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

thehenderson wrote:I find the term 'concept album' has been tainted by the likes of Dream Theatre and their ilk
People said the same thing about The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway et al. Hatred for concept albums was a driving force behind the breaking out of Punk. It was probably more of a hatred for indulgence and complexity, but by the mid '70s the two were often concurrent.

So far I have found not listening to Dream Theatre to be an effective solution for this dilemma.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Joe's Garage from Frank Zappa is a great concept album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joes_garage

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Vorbis wrote:Oddly enough, Wasp - The Crimson Idol was a great concept album. Very dark, ending in the lead characters suicide.
nothing odd about it, it is a fantastic concept album (apart from the horrible lead guitar tone)...it takes on whole new level when you listen to it in the dark....spooky ( I have listen to it many times like this 8) )

cradle of filth - cruelty and the beast....about elizabeth bathory....awesome from woah to go
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

All my faves have allready been mentioned.

Radio K.A.O.S. is a stand out for me. The Wall is also a great record. Joes Garage on triple vinyl 6 sides fukin shithot. Pete Townsend, a master of rock opera. Quadraphenia: awesome film amazing soundtrack. I was 15 when I first saw it with my good mate. His old man had a 63 Vespa 150 Sportique which we got going and rode round on, two up, with army Great Coats on for about a year after that. Inspiring. :lol: Was'nt quite so affected by Tommy in the same way but great film and sound track all the same.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

DaNextSlash
Fender
Fender

Post by DaNextSlash »

Nostradamus by Priest is the one that comes to mind for me. Also, Coheed's albums and Mastodon's.
Hmmm....Its niiiiiice
I like

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

Just because I have to... John Frusciante's 'The Empyrean'

And Mars Volta's 'Frances the Mute' is a concept album too I think.