Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

10 Songs I Wished I had Written

Post by foal30 »

1. All the things you are - Jerome Kern

Probably my favorite chord changes, harmonic movement. Fantastic tune for Jazz beginners to sink their teeth into.

2. So What - Miles Davis

What is this music? It's only 2 chords innit? Incredible performance and recording

3. Love and Affection - Joan Armatrading

10/10 lyrics. Amazing vocal and a warm recording. You can get lost in this song

4. Demon in Profile - Afghan Whigs

Greg Dulli in full effect. Yes there might be meaner Whigs stuff but I think this captures his band perfectly.

5. Slave to the Rhythm - Grace Jones

Trevor Horn apparently had this ready for Frankie's Goes to Hollywood, thank fuck that didn't happen. The session percussionist plays Bass on this track, crikey it's good

6. Lazarus - David Bowie

It's not sentimental but it is a man who knows death is near. Poise. Composure.

7. Soon - The Blue Nile

I think I like everything about this track. Fucking great vocals. And the hi-hat change is both the simplest and dramatic effect

8. If I Were You - Straightjacket Fits

NZ's best songwriter IMO, big Shayne Carter fan here... Top lyrics and vocal delivery

9. 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover - Paul Simon

We all laugh at Drummers and rightfully so. But last laugh is with Steve Gadd with a whale of a hook here. Top notch recording and band gives Simon license to sing some mean shit on a #1 US single. Popular subversive

10. The Ballad of Dorothy Parker - Prince

Lean, stripped back funk with odd chords and production. Cool story bro. There is a live version floating on the web of it as a Jazz/Samba thing almost. Prince really was a clever clogs in heels

Honourable mentions:

Weller
Bush
Townsend
Wonder
Morrissey/Marr
Matt Johnson
Lennon/McCartney
Robinson
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish