Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

When you dislike your own music?

Post by Vince »

I've felt it for a long time. I dislike the music I make. Does that happen to you guys?

I don't mean that I play badly (though sometimes there's that, too), I just find that, left to my own devices I make stuff that other people seem to enjoy but leaves me totally cold. In fact, I have no interest in the entire world that music inhabits.

(the music itself doesn't matter, I'm not asking you to judge that)

I could form a band to explore this music. I know exactly what the band would look and sound like. But it would feel bogus and like trying to make the best of a bad lot.

Does that happen to you? Realising you are good at something you don't find interesting at all? Do you settle for being rubbish at a different style but one you genuinely like or be a phony and go with the flow?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Re: When you dislike your own music?

Post by jeremyb »

I lack the skill to be able to be good at the music I want to play and even when I try to come up with other stuff the things I can play will come out, I think I’ve made peace with that and just gone full bore in that direction :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

crowbgood1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 248 times

Post by crowbgood1 »

Currently I'm playing bass and singing so the songs I've written are presented to the band as such, bass and vocals. This seems to have so much less influence on the finished product than presenting song ideas on guitar, especially if you leave the guitar and drums to the guitarist and drummer. They seem so much less hateable when they are not fully mine :)

In saying that, a veteran muso once told me "when you have played your songs so many times you hate them, you are ready to perform live". Not sure I fully agree, but if you thrash them about enough with the same people, they sure become tight.
A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 656 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

This is why I'm not in an original band. I don't feel like the songs I have written are actually worth listening to. So I play good songs written by others instead.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Yes it happens, but the first step to being good at something is being not so good at something. Stick with it. Analyse what you dislike and try and strip it out. Be ruthless.

Are you trying too hard to please other people? I find that's the quickest way to disappointment in your personal work.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

Vince wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:59 pm I've felt it for a long time. I dislike the music I make. Does that happen to you guys?

I don't mean that I play badly (though sometimes there's that, too), I just find that, left to my own devices I make stuff that other people seem to enjoy but leaves me totally cold. In fact, I have no interest in the entire world that music inhabits.

I could form a band to explore this music. I know exactly what the band would look and sound like. But it would feel bogus and like trying to make the best of a bad lot.

Does that happen to you? Realising you are good at something you don't find interesting at all? Do you settle for being rubbish at a different style but one you genuinely like or be a phony and go with the flow?
You sound like the very definition of a tormented creative to me.
And not meaning to be flippant.
What if I challenged you to produce something you did like?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Hey, it is fixed :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Jay wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:08 pm Hey, it is fixed :wink:
Its a miracle! and its not even xmas!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

Bg wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:43 pm
You are invincible... Flicks his pen around and around in his hand...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

Slowy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:08 pm
Vince wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:59 pm I've felt it for a long time. I dislike the music I make. Does that happen to you guys?

You sound like the very definition of a tormented creative to me.
And not meaning to be flippant.
What if I challenged you to produce something you did like?
And last year, standing on a stage playing the same pub crowd favourites I've played for decades, I realised I couldn't do it anymore. But that's not the same as original music.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Jay wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:10 pm
Bg wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:43 pm
You are invincible... Flicks his pen around and around in his hand...
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:22 pm This is why I'm not in an original band. I don't feel like the songs I have written are actually worth listening to. So I play good songs written by others instead.
Ahhh but this is where in a band with other talented people you can take an idea of a song and make it something really good, I think this is one of the big reasons I procrastinate about making music, I'll get a little idea that sounds good but I can't make it into a complete song... when I was in a band it was so much easier in that regard!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

YAAAAAYYYYY! :D
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Slowy wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:08 pm What if I challenged you to produce something you did like?
I don't know but I guess it probably wouldn't be very good.

I should be making CDs with name like "Etnoterra" and a cute cartoon image of some Mediterranean village by the sea. Happy fish jumping out of the water in the foreground. And I kinda loathe that "Putumayo Presents" type shit.

(I do like my current band but that's by no means all me and I don't know whether that can go anywhere musically).

Thanks for the interest. And yes, I too have stood (well, sat, really) in front of a crowd and thought "why am I here??"

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:10 pm when I was in a band it was so much easier in that regard!
Yeah, what happened to that? From memory, you were going great guns?

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook