jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Re: When you dislike your own music?

Post by jeremyb »

Vince wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:19 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:10 pm when I was in a band it was so much easier in that regard!
Yeah, what happened to that? From memory, you were going great guns?
I got fired basically, then the band dissolved cause they didn’t realise I was the glue that held it together…
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:54 pm I got fired basically, then the band dissolved cause they didn’t realise I was the glue that held it together…
Shit, what a shame. And you couldn't rebuild from the ruins? Bugger.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I'm currently in what would be described as a 'heavy rock' band. It's made up of members with different tastes ranging from the drummer who loves Aerosmith and Thin Lizzy to myself who is a pompous psychedelic indie nerd. I've been writing all the songs so far and it's not stuff I'd normally be interested in but it keeps me interested enough to see others reactions to it. I don't know if that will sustain my interest in the long run but I think the 'writing to order' is a fairly common concept for people playing original music. I was in an alt country band a year ago and it was a similar situation. The challenge is in writing music in an unfamiliar vein and seeing if it works.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2491 times

Post by Slowy »

With the exception of my last and sadly short lived band, I've always played music I wouldn't choose to sit down and listen to. My reasoning was playing and listening are different things and playing with others was the end in itself. And to be fair, it took most of my life for that theory to wear out.

Now, I'm doing something different. I'm exploring just how perfect I can get very few tunes. I judge perfection by fluidity, expression and dynamics. Because it's a solo endeavour, there's no pressure so I'm only playing when I want to; there's no deadlines and I don't care how long it takes. It's a journey.
I've also been working on a song which is physically very difficult for my hands. I've been at it for months; still can't play it but it feels closer that it was.

Because of this, I'm enjoying my hobby more than I have in quite a while.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7742 times
Been liked: 4186 times

Post by jeremyb »

Vince wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:30 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:54 pm I got fired basically, then the band dissolved cause they didn’t realise I was the glue that held it together…
Shit, what a shame. And you couldn't rebuild from the ruins? Bugger.
Nah half the band went and did a bbq reggae type thing that went on to be quite successful, polar opposite to what we were doing :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 6:34 am Nah half the band went and did a bbq reggae type thing that went on to be quite successful, polar opposite to what we were doing :lol:
YOU were in SIX SIXTY???? :O
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Maybe 15 years back I took an absolutist position

“Only Play What I Can Feel”

Works for me but I don’t need music for $

Songwriting is a practicable skill. Just keep at.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

kdawg2a wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:30 amI think the 'writing to order' is a fairly common concept for people playing original music.
I absolutely love writing to order, I see it as linked to orchestration. And also, it's a bit like drawing. I was taught to draw a frame/boundary first and then draw inside that. I like defined rules, like for haiku and sonnets and that sort of highly regimented thing.

My band, Planet, is quite interesting for "writing to order". The bagpipes are the lead instrument and they do have some weird quirks.

Even if electronic, they mimic a column of air making its way through the chanter. There's no way to stop the "air". It's like a very very long release in terms of ADSR. This means our piper can't do staccato lines. We've "past participle of get" around that, somewhat, by using a volume pedal, at least we can all stop at the same time.

Oh, and apparently he can't do key changes, pure descant. I can get a similar effect by moving the bassline under him. I've seen him tease out an F# though so I'm not sure if that's not him being lazy. :lol:

I also want to make life easy for everyone so I only do "spoken word" type vocals, that the "singer" can read out, leading to a John Cooper Clarkeish thing. I love writing to order.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

This topic interests me. I've always had this sense that I should be writing music - I've done a fair bit of parts of songs, and actually finished a few. But the only outlet I've really completed songs for is electronic where a few main motifs go a long way. And I've got to a point where I need to enjoy music for its own sake, not in pursuit of some life-changing song or opportunity popping up.

And like Vince's original post - I don't really live and breathe music. I hardly listen to music unless I have to learn songs, I would say 85% of songs of music I hear is because someone else has a playlist going in the office I work out of. Never put music on at home.

But I've just started playing in covers bands. I'm the opposite of what I hear from some of you, because it's new to me I really enjoy it, and I don't feel like this is the sub-par option on my way to something better. Either it's my version of settling or a positive spin is I'm being fully present with the thing I can do right now. And the arrangement really suits me, the band leader is full of ideas and is keen to hustle and get gigs, which I'm not keen on at all, and the other guys respect my general musicianship. I'm getting a buzz out of making people dance.

But yeah - my own music has taken even more of a back seat, and I'm fine with that.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

Delayman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:14 am This topic interests me. I've always had this sense that I should be writing music - I've done a fair bit of parts of songs, and actually finished a few. But the only outlet I've really completed songs for is electronic where a few main motifs go a long way.
Speaking of a few main motifs... There's a shitload of great music in soundtracks.

Sometimes. OST albums can be a bit dull because you get the same thing in seven different moods but I like how movie composers can just... do stuff without wondering whether it fits enough into a specific genre.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 234 times

Post by Delayman »

Vince wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:22 am
Delayman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:14 am This topic interests me. I've always had this sense that I should be writing music - I've done a fair bit of parts of songs, and actually finished a few. But the only outlet I've really completed songs for is electronic where a few main motifs go a long way.
Speaking of a few main motifs... There's a shitload of great music in soundtracks.

Sometimes. OST albums can be a bit dull because you get the same thing in seven different moods but I like how movie composers can just... do stuff without wondering whether it fits enough into a specific genre.
Yes! I like soundtracks too. I saw a cool thing where Hans Zimmer was talking about how he takes the main ideas from several of the tracks to make a kind of overture and also inserts bits of the other tunes in earlier ones so your mind recognises it when you get there.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Delayman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:14 am This topic interests me. I've always had this sense that I should be writing music - I've done a fair bit of parts of songs, and actually finished a few. But the only outlet I've really completed songs for is electronic where a few main motifs go a long way. And I've got to a point where I need to enjoy music for its own sake, not in pursuit of some life-changing song or opportunity popping up.

And like Vince's original post - I don't really live and breathe music. I hardly listen to music unless I have to learn songs, I would say 85% of songs of music I hear is because someone else has a playlist going in the office I work out of. Never put music on at home.

But I've just started playing in covers bands. I'm the opposite of what I hear from some of you, because it's new to me I really enjoy it, and I don't feel like this is the sub-par option on my way to something better. Either it's my version of settling or a positive spin is I'm being fully present with the thing I can do right now. And the arrangement really suits me, the band leader is full of ideas and is keen to hustle and get gigs, which I'm not keen on at all, and the other guys respect my general musicianship. I'm getting a buzz out of making people dance.

But yeah - my own music has taken even more of a back seat, and I'm fine with that.
Congrats on the new gig.

Covers bands can be huge fun—and very rewarding. Music can be so enjoyable because the musicians are not trying to pin all your hopes on it :-). They are just having fun.