Wireless

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by DarcyPerry »

bc_rich_ wrote:o screw buyin 1 then ill just get a 30ft lead
Yea, 30ft lead works well. With a jack joiner you can also link 2 together for maximum crowd penetration. Just don't buy a wave from the rockshop. They really are the worst lead I've ever bought.
Rog wrote:Nothing - NOTHING looks more hokey than one of the musos going off stage and walking around the audience with a wireless system - still playing!
Call me hokey if you must. It may be a gimmick but "the walk" is part of rock n roll history and I do it at least once a gig. I was particularly impressed by Buddy Guy's walk at the St James earlier this year. He was on wireless. No one called him hokey.

I will be a lead guy until a good wireless system falls off the back of a truck and onto my doorstep. The amount of time I've wound a lead around my leg (or somone else) it would be a welcome change to be tangle free :wink:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2279 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Post by Bg »

The most impressive part of Buddy Guy's walk was that it was 15 minute solo and he didn't hit a wrong note. Bastard ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

bluesgeek wrote:The most impressive part of Buddy Guy's walk was that it was 15 minute solo and he didn't hit a wrong note. Bastard ;)
There are no wrong notes. 8)

Yea, it was 15 minutes of pure joy!
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I was gutted that we were right up in the Grand Circle and missed most of it :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Buddy Guy's show is a LOT different to a standard club/pub band, which is where I was coming from. There's a bass player does it here. EVERYONE calls him hokey!!

My old guitarist used to do it - one reason I quit that band was that his antics plain embarrased me. Dancing with people while playing and standing on tables, the bar etc - just downright sad. He was in his 40s at the time...
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

I agree with Rog. It's hokey
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

philipnz wrote:I agree with Rog. It's hokey
Why not try it at your gig tomorrow? Go on, live a little. :lol:

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

At the Brownzy? If i walked out into the audience it would double the crowd
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

And you'd probably lose your shoes and wallet :lol:
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Imbalance
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Imbalance »

Metallica is a good example of Wireless used correctly, especially in there arena type stages with the crowd surrounding them i think in the right situations they can be used really well.
Reaching out to embrace the random, reaching out to embrace what ever may come.

B45-12
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by B45-12 »

philipnz wrote:....

If the stage is large enough then wireless is great. But also if the stage is small then wireless is even more necesary as it means no wires underfoot and less chance of tangling under your own feet or the bass players. .
There is one other very, VERY good reason for wireless here or overseas - crappy mains wiring. If someone has reversed the neutral/phase cables on the pa system, but not the guitar amp, you can get two earths with 240 volts across them. Put one hand on your guitar strings (one earth) and the other on your mike stand (other earth) and you die - zap. Wireless means the earth on your guitar is floating and will simply float up to the level of the mike stand, no (or very little) current will pass and you won't be shaking hands with Jimi suddenly!

More common in the US where they have 2 phase wires and phase reversal switches, but given the nature of the Kiwi do it yourself wiring in some of the backblocks. . . .
You can't do THAT on stage!

johnny mullet
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by johnny mullet »

Shite. That's a really scary scenario. Would a RCD lessen the danger? Thinking back I remember something like that happening to Dave McCartney from Sailor>

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

scary scenario, but hasn't happened very often since the 60's I would imagine ;) you can put a nice big capacitor in your guitar if you're worried about it....

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I've had it happen a few years ago - at the Wanganui St Johns Club. Big stage - 6-8 sets of power outlets, spead nicely over three phases. The electrician probably thought he was doing a good job of load balancing.

However, slight shock whenever you touch the mic with your lips and an annoying hum through the PA. Both of these are signs of unwanted pd (potential difference) and I knew straight away.

However, I'd had experience of such things and knew the answer. Plug everyone's amps + the PA into one outlet through a multibox. The problem was cured instantly and the leader of the band (I'd just joined them at the time) was amazed. He said " We always get that hum here but no-one had ever managed to stop it before."

I said " I guess you've never had an electrician in the band before." He said "Yep, three of them, but none of them figured that out."

I do it as a matter of course - everyone's amps from the same socket, but the lights can go elsewhere.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah all from one socket is the only way to do it :)