Do You Play Electric And Acoustic?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Daza152
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Do You Play Electric And Acoustic?

Post by Daza152 »

I guess this is about guitars and not just playing guitars.....I am guessing some you only play the electric, right? well I want to know can you also play the acoustic as well as the electric?? I change from day to day which I'm gonna play( excuse the rhyme)...If I'm having troble with my electric which most of the time, I change back to the acoustic, which sounds a heck of alot better when I strum that.. However the electric sounds great when I play a lead or solo, not necessarily better just really good also. I know you will be reading this BG, so do you also play the acoustic and are you as good on that as your electric playing, and how often compared to the amped one? Do any of you think its easier on the electric or weather or not you give them equal time................................ :mrgreen:

Daza. (yes another thread, anyway I'm curious and I can't find this on "Google")

afiman86
Stagg
Stagg

Re: Do You Play Electric And Acoustic?

Post by afiman86 »

I love playing electric, but for tutoring i use my acoustic...i dont like playing acoustic
Gibson SG standard w/dimarzio super 2 in bridge -> Mesa/boogie subway rocket

DSilence
Ashton
Ashton

Post by DSilence »

I play both all the time, I often jam or write on the acoutic then use the electric for recording/practicing. Plus there are different styles of music written on both. Id play like jack Johnson on the acoustic and play heavier rock/metal stuff on the electric which makes sense? lol
OBG Les Paul Custom
LTD EC500
SX Telecaster
5150II

http://www.reverbnation.com/thynameless

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 645 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by hamo »

Yes. Although I'm between acoustics at the moment.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 3986 times

Post by Bg »

Yes I play both - its all guitar right? I just don't like playing acoustic for anything other than slide and even then I'm just not into it that much. I don't listen to any acoustic music so have no will to play, its just not my thing, I've yet to find any acoustic that I like playing, that I like the tone of or that feels comfortable. Admittedly I haven't tried that hard and I do own a nice middle range electro-acoustic that I pick up about once every 6 months, but I just don't want to play 'happy-clappy' songs, or anything by Jack Johnson.

I think you need to get the 'can you play acoustic and electric' thing out of your mind - you play one you can play the other, the notes are exactly the same ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

I play both, but not usually at the same time. I find it easier to put one guitar down before picking up the other guitar; little tip for beginners there.
Tin arse!!

DSilence
Ashton
Ashton

Post by DSilence »

Terexgeek wrote:I play both, but not usually at the same time. I find it easier to put one guitar down before picking up the other guitar; little tip for beginners there.
:lol:
OBG Les Paul Custom
LTD EC500
SX Telecaster
5150II

http://www.reverbnation.com/thynameless

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2275 times
Been liked: 3986 times

Post by Bg »

Terexgeek wrote:I play both, but not usually at the same time. I find it easier to put one guitar down before picking up the other guitar; little tip for beginners there.
Maybe what I"m doing wrong, or is it that I despise 'singer-songwriters' ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

I am un - learning self taught acoustic and having formal lessons from my buddy Steve.
Need to be proficient with Pentatonic scale, next blues scale, then will move on to bending on electric.
I just scored a stunningly good 9 year old Blueridge BR6S acoustic so I no longer have to learn on my cheap Ashton.
My Korean PRS se eg action has been properly set up with a new bone nut and I have some fender pups to fit, this guitar is now VERY nice and will serve me well when I get better with electric.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Not me. Last time I touched an electric was at the last gear fest and only because Rog had brought one.

Having said that... I still need to be amplified when I play with other people and because I move around a fair bit when I play, standing still in front of a mike is not an option. So there's limits to my acoustic purism.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

I am primarily an electric player. That is where my heart is, and every week I am looking forward to the end of the week for my Friday/Saturday "electric" gigs.

Having said that, over the last couple of years I have been playing more and more acoustic - to the point where I am now doing 1-2 purely acoustic gigs every week.

Whilst I still prefer to play electric, I have really learned to love the acoustic side of things and watch my acoustic playing "style" develop over time. I love how an acoustic guitar gives you the ability to be the whole "band". Bass, rhythm, harmony - it's all there with a clever right hand and when you get those sublime moments where you can bring it all together - it's very satisfying indeed.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 863 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

I play both... lemme tell ya a story, a long time ago I set out to learn guitar but my head got full of junk & boogers, the dream died after about five years. All I had after that was an acoustic, the songs I'd learnt were slowly forgotten over time. It came down to the E shuffle & a crude rendition of Green Onions, Hey Joe, a la Grange sort of thang, Wish you were here intro, Oh yeah there was this bluesy rythmic sort of Venus thing.
Just crude chords nothing fancy, it was all about the rhythm, never really folky or intricate like I may have hoped for. The guitar (as it still does) could stand for long periods untouched, became more of a thing to entertain the kids with.

Somehow the electric was blocked out by a feeling of regret or something about a bad point of time in my existance. I had an electric in the house storing it for a mate for years. My eldest boy probably about 10 years old then one day asked me about the electric guitar that he would secretly check out in it's case from time to time. I said lets get that thing & play it, wired an old stereo speaker into the blown Jansen lil' dazzler. I set to work pounding out all my old chops with a load of gain dialed on the amp. The two older boys had wide eyes & chins dropped on the ground, the youngest one at 3 yrs ran off & got a plastic bucket & sticks, started furiously hammering out a beat.

Looking back I think that day changed us forever, we all play electric rock&roll, me I like the blues. Props to my youngest kid - he learnt all his acadaca licks with a dreadnought & the stereo playing. Looking back the acoustic is/was fantastic open chord & rhythm training. Countless times rolling thru that twelve bar - like Burt Munro the worlds fastest Indian "just one good run".
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

I do both, they sound different!

Andy_Chandler
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Andy_Chandler »

you're doing it wrong!

http://www.andhechandler.com
Endorsements : Ibanez Guitars, Macbeth Footwear.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

I'm horrible at accoustic. Never picked it up and have been playing punk/metal/hardcore since I started guitar/bass. If someone handed me an accoustic, I'd have no idea what to do apart ffrom basic chords :lol: