Les Pauls for Dummies: what's the go?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7907 times
Been liked: 4257 times

Re: Les Pauls for Dummies: what's the go?

Post by jeremyb »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Come on now...first tenons, then this. Let's answer Tony's questions.
:mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

*UNIQUE* wrote:Come on now...first tenons, then this. Let's answer Tony's questions.
I thought I did
willow13 wrote:any les paul built with a rosewood fretboard and block inlays is shit...there I said it
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3991 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:Does anyone think Gibson's are good because they are expensive?
I was going to leave it, but my ghast is somewhat flabbered by your inverse snobbery...

I'll only address 2 points and make no mention of poly finishes or any other similar details that keep costs down.

1/. The mythical crying unicorn tenon joint.
They are mass produced guitars, built by Japanese methods, regardless of whether built in Cincinnati or Japan. Having spent over 5 years of my working life in a japaneses car factory, I can assure you whole heartedly, that they don use a longer joint because it adds mystical sustain, an almost magic aura and somehow transforms the tone into the sound of an angels beating wings. They will use it because it streamlines the production process, less set up time probably. The difference the actual joint makes is moot, maybe a tiny fraction of difference assuming good materials were joined together. However...

2/. One piece neck. Assuming it is, why? Good real mahogany is like rocking horse shit. So you're saying they don't mind machining half of this off so the neck will play like Excalibur? If its the real stuff, no way would they waste any of it, it's crazy. So that leaves us with a different cheaper wood, probably ok but not the real deal else they wouldn't leave half of it on the factory floor while they churn out 50 or 60 necks an hour.

Think about it logically, don't shoot the messenger. I'm done. It's a lovely day, I'm sat watching two lovely girls play tennis after spending an hour on a treadmill. I'm now going to enjoy a glass of ice cold cider. Enjoy ;)

P.s. my gibsons good because it was expensive, even second hand, and its awesome :p
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

After re-reading the thread title I realise the riddle is in two parts.

Les Pauls for Dummies:
A strong statement, perhaps even condecending towards guitarists who play Les Pauls exclusively! I would say you could make dummer choices than playing a Les Paul.

what's the go?
Usually green.

:wink:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Conway wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
Conway wrote:Look at it this way - Corvette vs. Nissan GT-R

The Corvette will cost more, may not be built to the same high standard, the motor will be less efficient, it is more likely to break down and it may not have all the optional extras. But it was the originator, the Nissan is an imitator.

There are of course buyers and dedicated supporters of both.

I have a Corvette in the garage.
Good grief, you are actually claiming the GT-R is an imitator of a Corvette? And the Corvette was an originator? The British, Italians, Germans etc had been making cars like the Corvette for years before Chev knocked together their first attempt..

Of course that isn't the point, you just wanted to tell people you have a Corvette.
Doh. It's an analogy* dude. It means I have a Gibson Les Paul. And I wouldn't ever buy a Japanese imitator.

* with a fair amount of poetic license.
Ha ha oops, troll fail... :oops: my skills are as good as my humour...

Think I'll PM Ed for some pointers.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

BG with or without CNC you can cut two one piece necks from a single blank :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote:BG with or without CNC you can cut two one piece necks from a single blank :)
You're being absurd now, the blank would be twice the thickness, and still with wastage here's a pic of a one piece neck. You'd better email ash and tell him he's doing it all wrong.
image.jpg
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Onto your Japanese car factory comment, that has nothing to do with guitar manufacture, for example, everyone harps on about the Toyota manufacturing process, but when you apply it to something like guitar manufacture it fails dismally, it's fine if your production line is only making thousands of one product, but we all know guitar manufacturers don't do that, they have to be setup to make a myriad of different models in different configurations....

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1230 times
Been liked: 1416 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Toyota make a lot of different models too.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1053 times

Post by kdawg2a »

On a bit of a different note, i've had a half completed homemade Stratotone project sitting here for a while. No neck tenons required here, she's a slab of wood neck through made out of a slab of Rimu thats at least 100 years old!
php9DFfZKPM.jpg
The originals in the 50's were made out of one bit of wood (well, one main bit with a couple of wings attached) and never had a truss rod, just a huge chunky neck. That's what i've tried to replicate here.
phpryc78mPM.jpg
If anyones got an old Harmony 'hershey bar' pick up they want to sell i'd be very keen to buy it for this. Neck tenons? Screw that, just make me a guitar out of a log!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Dude that looks awesome, I can almost hear the angels singing already :)

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

now that neck looks FAT
Last edited by willow13 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Toyota make a lot of different models too.
Yes but they only make one per line.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

hypothetical question......

lets say you had up to $2000 to spend on a guitar and a real gibson les paul standard popped up for $1200.....who here wouldn't buy it :?:

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1053 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Let me be the first to say 'hell yeah, i'd buy it!'
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.