The Recuperation Shuffle.

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

The Recuperation Shuffle.

Post by Slowy »

Move along, JB. Nothing of interest here. :sarc:

Should have predicted it; banned from playing for 2 months on Surgeon's orders and suddenly my head is full of licks, tones and progressions and my body NEEDS TO PLAY A GUITAR!!!!

So I have been. (Don't be silly! Of course I haven't. This is just a fantasy I'm sharing with you).

It's only for short periods and it's with a very delicate touch. Result: a somewhat different sound and feel. Building a backing track of partial chords and double stops then noodling over the top. The result is jangly, melodic and in keeping with my current frame of mind, somewhat dreamy. I confess to liking the results, but that might just be a side effect of the meds.

Been enjoying digging into the F#m A E D chord progression; finding it a goldmine.

Oh and Strat middle pickup is my new favoirite pathway to tonal nirvana.

Musings on the Korinacaster, post Audio Zephyr, to follow.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: The Recuperation Shuffle.

Post by Single coil »

2 months ... Fuck that. That's rough man.

I did something weird to my thumb my first time on skis. I don't know what the doctor said to do or not do - It was all in german and it was really fast.
I was playing within a week.

Buuuut, you know, think I've got some ailment now, as a result. :D
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

My mate, Marcus sent his '60s SG and '70s Strat to Warren Mendoza at Audio Zephyr for a full setup. The results were so good I had to hand over my Korinacaster for the full treatment.

Issues were intonation in open chord positions and the amount of fight it put up to being played. Warren was impressed with the guitar and set to work on it. I've now spent an hour or two playing the results. It is a very different instrument.

Firstly, the action, it's perfect. Everything feels lighter and slipperier. For a while, I suspected the strings were a lighter gauge; they're not.

Big Changes:
Nickel strings. At times they leave me wondering where the highs have gone, but it's actually a lack of shrillness.

Pickup heights.:
This is the biggie. Warren loves the middle position Tele tones and set it up accordingly. Pups are quite a long way from the strings. I never used that position and had both pups wound up high. It gave me a perfectly acceptable impression of Knopfler humbucking tones for instance and would chew into my amp in a most satisfying way.
What I now have is a mellow Telecaster with piano like resonance and very polite tones. Turn the volume down and I can play it just like my old Martin. More likely to be loved by Johnny Marr than Billy Gibbons.

Don't know yet if I'll keep it long term but fascinated how Pup height can cause a personality transplant.

Oh yeah, and Warren's The Man! :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bradman
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bradman »

Had two surgeries on my left wrist after breaking it last year. After the six weeks it took to get the various casts and braces off. I played as much as I could, but in bursts of about 10 mins, combined with stretching a lot.

To be honest I think it helped me immensely, rebuilding my left hand technique slowly, made my playing a lot better. Also played almost exclusively acoustic for about 3-4 months after, when I was up to playing for longer than 10 mins periods.

As long as you take it slow and work on the physio stuff as much as possible, you'll be back playing in no time! And possibly better!
My Folk Music: https://soundcloud.com/bradtaylornz
Pop Culture Articles & Blogs! http://www.popvultures.co.nz/

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1651 times
Been liked: 1314 times

Post by Jay »

Been enjoying digging into the F#m A E D chord progression; finding it a goldmine.
Just noodling or any existing songs that you doing?

How long off work?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jvpp wrote:
Just noodling or any existing songs that you doing?

How long off work?
Noodling, but some nice phrases have emerged. It's a very different progression from my usuals and it has made me discover new stuff. :D
I can feel the shapes of two songs still drifting just out of reach. Will keep chasing them.

In a sling for another month at least. It's looking like this wee crash will have taken me out for 5 months in total... :shock: Sheeyit! :bummed: