Martin Acoustics

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 743 times

Re: Martin Acoustics

Post by olegmcnoleg »

bbrunskill wrote: Taylors just seem to have eons of bright gorgeous jangle, which fits well in a band, but kind of stinks for solo. I'm yet to find one that I really truly love.
Totally. I think the sound of Taylors sits really well in a modern band, plenty of presence and it does not get in the way of the bass too much. For solo work the only Taylor I've bonded with is a 714 with a cedar top and the Expression pickup.

But I'm fussy, and these are all good guitars.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

bbrunskill wrote:
danmunners wrote: Taylors just seem to have eons of bright gorgeous jangle, which fits well in a band, but kind of stinks for solo. I'm yet to find one that I really truly love.
Agreed.

Do Takamine still use Epoxy for the neck/body join on their acoustics? If so It makes a neck reset a lot more frustrating!

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

I have a performing artist series cutaway dread.

In terms of playability it's fantastic, though the neck is very wide, which takes some getting used to.

Very good plugged live sound too. The tuner is a bit of a blunt instrument though.

More of an excellent working tool than a tone-fancier's piece -there are better sounding Martins for my tastes. but I would have had to shell out a lot more money.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

handsoffmatt wrote:It's kinda silly to make sweeping comments on the tone of an ENTIRE brand of guitars.
This ^^

So not necessarily this...
handsoffmatt wrote:Takamine guitars are built from start to finish to be..
Not even sweeping comments of model are always appropriate, as there are so many variables with acoustic guitars. One D28 might sound amazing, another one might just sound 'good'. Having said that, since we're talking about Martins, some of the best acoustics I've ever played ('best' being according to my subjective tastes) have been Martins, while others I've found to be rather ordinary. But that's acoustic guitars for you, and everybody has a different idea of what makes an acoustic guitar 'good' and what sound they prefer.

I personally like acoustics with a slightly shorter scale, and feel that not enough companies make them!

Ultimately the only way to really pick a high end acoustic guitar is to try a bunch. They're like women. You might prefer blondes but fall in love with a brunette.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

mr_sooty wrote:They're like women. You might prefer blondes but fall in love with a brunette.

This is largely why I own a handmade, extremely high end and beautiful Lowden and mostly play a beat up, cheap, clunky sounding, ladder brace beginners guitar from the 60's.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Man acoustics are where the dollars really seem to make a difference. There are a ton of sub $1k electrics that have a reasonable argument for feeling, playing and sounding as good as their $4k+ brethern (Reverends spring to mind) but I can't say the same for acoustics. The best I have managed with sub $2k acoustics (I'm talking new pricing here, not a roaring great TM deal on a Lowden..) is adequacy - good not great. That describes my K. Yairi right now - good guitar, better than a lot, but I'd rather have a HD28 or J45 any day.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

null_pointer wrote:Man acoustics are where the dollars really seem to make a difference. There are a ton of sub $1k electrics that have a reasonable argument for feeling, playing and sounding as good as their $4k+ brethern (Reverends spring to mind) but I can't say the same for acoustics. The best I have managed with sub $2k acoustics (I'm talking new pricing here, not a roaring great TM deal on a Lowden..) is adequacy - good not great. That describes my K. Yairi right now - good guitar, better than a lot, but I'd rather have a HD28 or J45 any day.
Yeah, I reckon $4-5k is the mark with acoustics. They get unquestionably better up to that price. Beyond it, things become more subjective.
mr_sooty wrote:They're like women. You might prefer blondes but fall in love with a brunette.
Never seen a better description of guitar ownership! :thumbup:
My go to guitar is a Strat; possibly the least interesting electric ever made.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Slowy wrote:My go to guitar is a Strat; possibly the least interesting electric ever made.
No, that would be the Tele.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote:
Slowy wrote:My go to guitar is a Strat; possibly the least interesting electric ever made.
Wrong. They're more sparse and much more varied. Thus way more interesting.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

null_pointer wrote:Man acoustics are where the dollars really seem to make a difference. There are a ton of sub $1k electrics that have a reasonable argument for feeling, playing and sounding as good as their $4k+ brethern (Reverends spring to mind) but I can't say the same for acoustics. The best I have managed with sub $2k acoustics (I'm talking new pricing here, not a roaring great TM deal on a Lowden..) is adequacy - good not great. That describes my K. Yairi right now - good guitar, better than a lot, but I'd rather have a HD28 or J45 any day.
And yet I'm ecstatically happy with my sub 1K Masterbuilt Alvarez Parlor.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

mr_sooty wrote:
And yet I'm ecstatically happy with my sub 1K Masterbuilt Alvarez Parlor.
Sometimes the trick is to stop there. Unfortunately I've got friends with Martins, Gibbys etc so I've seen what the other side of the mountain looks like. There's no way the lower echelons compare (depending on what the sound in your head is, of course!). For what I'd like an acoustic electric for, $4k north seems to be the first rung of that sonic ladder...

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Should note I don't play acoustic live much so it's more a vanity purchase

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Slowy wrote:
Conway wrote:
Wrong. They're more sparse and much more varied. Thus way more interesting.
I respectfully choose to disagree, sir.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

To me 'least interesting' is a guitar that does one thing. Teles and Strats clearly cover a lot more ground than that, but I don't see anyone out playing blues on their ESP with EMGs. I DO see metal/shred/sludge being played on Strats and teles tho (John 5, Yngwie etc).

So I vote Ibanez RG-anything.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

null_pointer wrote:To me 'least interesting' is a guitar that does one thing. Teles and Strats clearly cover a lot more ground than that, but I don't see anyone out playing blues on their ESP with EMGs. I DO see metal/shred/sludge being played on Strats and teles tho (John 5, Yngwie etc).

So I vote Ibanez RG-anything.
Yes, I can see some logic in that argument.