Go to Guitar.

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 747 times
Been liked: 516 times

Re: Go to Guitar.

Post by Zaulkin »

Lyle wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:My Ash superstrat.
This (assuming you mean Ash Customworks not just a strat made of ash).
Indeed, the one in my avatar. Cant help but think how it fits like a glove. I have made a few adjustments over the years but it really nails modern rock tones.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 208 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

My go to at the moment has once again become my Ash Radian SG Jnr. It's pretty much a fixture at the home office desk now I've got one of those D'Adarrio desk clamp guitar stand thingies. I never thought I'd get on with this when I first got it as I just couldn't see myself getting on with the neck but it's become the go to. It's got a super chunky neck with what feel like massive frets.

One of the reasons it's always out is that it's super easy to re-tune which makes it idea when having a blast on RockSmith which needs you to continually change/tweak the tunings as you switch between songs.

I'm toying with getting the Ash Donnie back out for a while (in it's case nice and safe) but this has been the office guitar for ages now.

It's probably due a treat and a trip to a decent guitar tech for some love and care. I'm so glad I never sold this the couple of times I considered moving it on.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 253 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

sty wrote:My go to at the moment has once again become my Ash Radian SG Jnr.
I've said it before, but I would fully buy this back off you if you ever wanted to sell. You've had it longer than I ever did and I still miss it!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

What ever is leaning on the book case next to the sofa.

My old Ibanez RG440 will never be sold, because I've had it since I was 14, but either BC Richs (Gunslinger and Mockingbird) are good go-to guitars, both lots of guitar for Korean cheapies.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Danger Mouse wrote:What ever is leaning on the book case next to the sofa.
Yeah this. Whichever one is out.

Had the day off so had a little shootout between my guitars and came to the conclusion that I can't pick a favourite and have more excellent guitars than I can play. This is a great problem to have (and probably not an uncommon one around this forum), except when its time to go to a gig and I can only take 2 of them with me.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 251 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I try to play all my guitars on a regular basis and when gigging I try to rotate them.

But the one I always come back to and will never sell is my 1991 Gibson Classic celebrity series tuxedo Les Paul. They only made 200 of them, it's the best LP I've ever played - especially now it's got BKPd in it - and I bought it new nearly 25 years ago and played hundreds of gigs with it so it is loaded with memories. It will be handed down to my kids.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

jimi wrote: and I can only take 2 of them with me.
get a bigger stand?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2495 times
Been liked: 2804 times

Post by Molly »

For me it'll always be a Strat even though the particular one may vary. Present one, CS '60, is the best I've had though my old CS '69 runs a close second.

Strats are workman-like / have nothing superfluous about them, they're robust, ergonomic, easy to modify and maintain, and there's no genre of music they couldn't be used for.

All that isn't stopping me hankering for a Les Paul though.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3933 times

Post by Bg »

Molly wrote:Strats are workman-like / have nothing superfluous about them, they're robust, ergonomic, easy to modify and maintain, and there's no genre of music they couldn't be used for.
Yeah, especially the 5k custom shop models ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2495 times
Been liked: 2804 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Molly wrote:Strats are workman-like / have nothing superfluous about them, they're robust, ergonomic, easy to modify and maintain, and there's no genre of music they couldn't be used for.
Yeah, especially the 5k custom shop models ;)
Exactly! ;-)

mike
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mike »

Acoustic is a 1976 or 7 Riviera nylon. Electric is a Jem 77vbk.

I was going to say that I'm firmly in the modern camp when it comes to guitars, but the jems and other superstrat variations are getting on these days too.

I've also been playing a new Hagstrom super swede, but. It is heavy, and not as easy to play.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 850 times
Been liked: 361 times

Post by jimi »

Bg wrote:
jimi wrote: and I can only take 2 of them with me.
get a bigger stand?
Maybe if I had a bigger boot. and a roadie.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 463 times

Post by werdna »

My homemade partsocaster. Bound flame maple top. Warmoth assymetrical strat neck. SD Pearly Gates in the bridge. Workmanlike, yet pretty.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

40th anniversary 1954 Strat unless I'm using a bit more OD then it's the Korinacaster ( fat necked Korina bodied Telecaster style homebuild with Lollar pickups). Acoustic go to is an early '70s Tama copy of a Martin D41 that is just a ridiculously good guitar.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by danmunners »

My Ibanez Artcore AFS 75T. Red thinline hollowbody with a bigsby that only goes out of tune if I wrench on it like a 12 year old hitting puberty. I replaced the nut with a homemade bone one which is still a bit wonky and hasn't been glued down yet because I keep meaning to make another. Was already my favourite guitar with the stock pickups but I recently got some BG Pure90s. I popped them in and switched the strings to 54-11s with a wound g string. Took the whole thing down a step to D and boy does it sing my kind of tune now.