The Jazz Telecaster

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1388 times
Been liked: 2132 times

Re: The Jazz Telecaster

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:39 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:09 am So, is a set-neck mahogany bodied, flame maple topped, rosewood board, humbucker x 2, 6 a side peg head guitar a Telecaster if the body is shaped like a Telecaster?
This is a deep philosophical question which has kept me awake many a dark night.
I have the one that goes...when do I know if my speaker is "broken in"? Like, will I hear it?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

GrantB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:08 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:09 am So, is a set-neck mahogany bodied, flame maple topped, rosewood board, humbucker x 2, 6 a side peg head guitar a Telecaster if the body is shaped like a Telecaster?
This is a deep philosophical question which has kept me awake many a dark night.
I have the one that goes...when do I know if my speaker is "broken in"? Like, will I hear it?
Mine is... if I just play guitar in my bedroom by myself and no one else is listening, am I really playing guitar?
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 530 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Do they do this model in all black with the humbucker in the correct position?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Danger Mouse wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:30 pm

Mine is... if I just play guitar in my bedroom by myself and no one else is listening, am I really playing guitar?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Zaulkin wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:31 pm Do they do this model in all black with the humbucker in the correct position?
Do you mean a Les Paul Custom Junior Telecaster?

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Maybe they need to come up with more names like ‘ Tele sonic’ or sumfin?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1124 times
Been liked: 1453 times

Post by robthemac »

Lawrence wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:00 pm
My take is that If its made by Fender and named aTelecaster then its a Telecaster. This is a brand name after all.
If its not made by Fender then at best its "telecaster Shaped"

If Fender released a 24.5 inch scale strat shape with a mahogany body, figured carved maple top with two humbuckers and a hardtail...if they called it a Stratocaster then it is.

An exact to the millionth of a mm strat copy made by anyone other than Fender...is not a strat....its "strat like" at best...and a copy at worst.

my 2c.
Telecaster is a state of mind, man.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

Jay wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:00 pm I like the simplicity of this Jazzcaster, the covered metal tailpiece, the wooden bridge, pickup ring and pickguard. I like the headstock shape and its Waverley tuners. I like its construction, the angled neck and its 21 frets. What is there not to like about it? Only one thing, it should have been a set neck. So there!
yup. Agree with this. If I bought guitars Id be keen on this. Its a class act from top to bottom. And yes...should have been a set neck!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1663 times
Been liked: 1314 times

Post by Jay »

Lawrence wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:55 pm
Jay wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:00 pm I like the simplicity of this Jazzcaster, the covered metal tailpiece, the wooden bridge, pickup ring and pickguard. I like the headstock shape and its Waverley tuners. I like its construction, the angled neck and its 21 frets. What is there not to like about it? Only one thing, it should have been a set neck. So there!
yup. Agree with this. If I bought guitars Id be keen on this. Its a class act from top to bottom. And yes...should have been a set neck!

Why buy?

Lawrence, I'd say, why don't you and I make one each?

Share design, construction details, timbers, etc and create two lovely pieces of art? :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 1396 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Thats a nice guitar!
reminds me of a telecaster but jazzy!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:50 pm
Lawrence wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:00 pm
My take is that If its made by Fender and named aTelecaster then its a Telecaster. This is a brand name after all.
If its not made by Fender then at best its "telecaster Shaped"

If Fender released a 24.5 inch scale strat shape with a mahogany body, figured carved maple top with two humbuckers and a hardtail...if they called it a Stratocaster then it is.

An exact to the millionth of a mm strat copy made by anyone other than Fender...is not a strat....its "strat like" at best...and a copy at worst.

my 2c.
Telecaster is a state of mind, man.
Don't remember who now but I read an interview with a Tele loving session player. He had every electric imaginable made as a Tele; Strat pups, Humbuckers, P90s Filtertron, Firebird, Gold Foil. Then he had semi hollow and hollow bodies with a variety of pickups and features and bodies made of various timbers. Think there was about 30 guitars in all.

Always thought that would be a great collection to spend time with.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1030 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Post by Slowy »

A: When you've finished painting the cone tear with nail varnish.
B: Probably not.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 869 times
Been liked: 743 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

KNNZ wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:12 am

Discuss
What good is a jazz guitar with only 1 pot? You definitely need 2 for jazz.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1663 times
Been liked: 1314 times

Post by Jay »

The second is on the amp
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

Ed Bickert's Telecaster

Bill Frisell's Telecaster

Julian Lage's Telecaster