Samick are the best guitar on the market

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3992 times

Re: Samick are the best guitar on the market

Post by Bg »

Clanger wrote:I'm not impressed with the tuning issues with Gibson guitars. My acoustic Indonesian made Samick stays in tune and sounds quite good for the $160 I paid for it back 98 (still going strong). Maybe they have a point.

A guitar isn't worth a pinch of salt if the fuckin' thing doesn't stay in tune.
*sigh* http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21427
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I think Ash explained a while back part of the reason why Gibson/PRS etc are 'expensive'. A lot has to do with actually having to pay the workers a reasonable wage, and a lot of man hours going in to producing the gats. You're paying also for the Gibson brand, the history, perceived tonal advantages, resale value etc.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

DarcyPerry wrote:I had a samick once. It was given to me (thanks TerexGeek) and I gave it away. It was a fender strat copy. I don't have an excuse. I didn't like it. Enough said. :|
'Twas a Segovia (hair split, same factory probably) Darc, and you're welcome.
Tin arse!!

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

Vorbis wrote:I think Ash explained a while back part of the reason why Gibson/PRS etc are 'expensive'. A lot has to do with actually having to pay the workers a reasonable wage, and a lot of man hours going in to producing the gats. You're paying also for the Gibson brand, the history, perceived tonal advantages, resale value etc.
this, Gibson has some pretty good bang-for-buck stuff, they also have some pretty pricey stuff too.
I think resale is a big thing. A $5000 Gibson you could sell 5 years later for around $4000 easily if it was still in good nick, a $400 Samick ain't going to be worth squat in 5 years time no matter how immaculate it is.
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

druz15 wrote: a $400 Samick ain't going to be worth squat in 5 years time no matter how immaculate it is.
not sure how true this is ......there has been a number of charvettes (by charvel) pop up on TM in the last couple of months and they have sold for $400+ which to me is way more than they should go for...I also think you'd be lucky to get $4000 for a 2007 les paul secondhand.the range for LPs under 10yrs old seems to be up to $3000 from what I have seen
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Sabbath Bloody Sabbath »

Vorbis wrote:I think Ash explained a while back part of the reason why Gibson/PRS etc are 'expensive'. A lot has to do with actually having to pay the workers a reasonable wage, and a lot of man hours going in to producing the gats. You're paying also for the Gibson brand, the history, perceived tonal advantages, resale value etc.
+1. I guess for a lot of people it's an important issue but it can't always come down to be bang for buck. A Nissan GT-R is faster and cheaper than a Ferrari 458 but I know which one I would rather have.
"You give me a fucking kazoo and I'll write you a good song." - Billy Corgan

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

BG wrote:
Clanger wrote:I'm not impressed with the tuning issues with Gibson guitars. My acoustic Indonesian made Samick stays in tune and sounds quite good for the $160 I paid for it back 98 (still going strong). Maybe they have a point.

A guitar isn't worth a pinch of salt if the fuckin' thing doesn't stay in tune.
*sigh* http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=21427
Absolutely none of that applies to me at all.
Make Music Great Again

Some Bozo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Some Bozo »

The only Samick I've owned was 15 years ago, an extremely muddy-sounding semi-acoustic where the pickup was screwed underneath the 20th fret or so, consequently it sounded like playing the neck pickup on a strat underwater.
"You know something's gone badly wrong with the world when Prince has stopped singing about sex, and Morrissey has started."

Vorbis
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vorbis »

I had a Samick Strat, it was much like the Hondo and Vester Strats I had. I haven't touched a Greg Bennett but have heard it's on par with the Cort stuff (Cortek/Samick - same factory?)
Anyway I dropped it out of the back of a Station Wagon (not even on purpose) and it went skidding down a steep concrete driveway. It survived so couldn't have been total shite.
Bad hardware/cheap electronics/bad woods/poor fret job. Pretty much the same thing for all budget guitars.
She told me baby when you race today just take along my love with you, and if ya knew how much I love you baby, nothin' could go wrong with you.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

My Roadworn Monster strat certainly started out with Samick parts. The neck is a nice profile, but some clown tightened the truss rod to some astronomical tension, not sure if that is what caused the neck to be warped, but there you go, it's improved greatly with loosening though. The body is absolutely awful quality ply. However, it sounds awesome, Seymour Duncan Custom Custom, and with the hacking and quality hardware, it plays well.
In MP we have a few Greg Bennetts, there are some absolutely fantastic guitars, little OM bodied acoustic for $299 is a favourite, and the big bodied two humbucker Jazz box as well. Problem I have with them though is that the headstock is supremely ugly, I don't care what's on it, but it's so ugly I don't think I could own one.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

Last edited by nzsimon1 on Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

mr_sooty wrote:I don't know about 'best guitars on the market', but they've certainly come a long way in the last 20 years. Greg Bennet guitars are among the best bang for the buck guitars out there that's for sure. They're extremely high quality for the price. And certainly Gibson offers less in terms for value for money, as the difference in quality between a Greg Bennet and a Gibson is far less than the astronomical price difference suggests. I would still say that Gibson make a higher quality, better sounding guitar than Samick, but the gap is a lot smaller than most people would think/admit. In fact many Asian brands are putting out extremely high quality Chinese made guitars these days, and people really need to get past the idea that 'made in USA' automatically means better quality than 'made in China', because it's just not the case.
+1, you nailed it

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

Polar Bear wrote:. Problem I have with them though is that the headstock is supremely ugly, I don't care what's on it, but it's so ugly I don't think I could own one.
I want to judge you, but the truth is that one of the things that is holding me back from pulling the trigger on this Ibanez 335 I've been gassing over is the lightning bolt on the headstock. :lol:

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Oh man, a lightning bolt is awesome!! Fit in well at church too. :D
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7909 times
Been liked: 4258 times

Post by jeremyb »

Polar Bear wrote:Oh man, a lightning bolt is awesome!! Fit in well at church too. :D
:lol: the hollowbody would be mint for holding a plague of locusts too!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.