Tokai 335

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

stinkey diver
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Tokai 335

Post by stinkey diver »

So im looking at buying this..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching

Model Tokai "ES-145 Flame"
Year of Manufacture Made in Japan 2008
BODY Flamed Maple Arched 2A Flame Top
Flamed Maple Side & Back
Neck Mahogany One Piece
Set-Neck
Head Angle 18°
FINGERBOARD Rosewood
RADIUS 300R
FRETS 22F ♯213
SCALE 625/312.5mm
BRIDGE HLS-VB Bridge
HLS-VT Tailpiece
TUNERS Gotoh SD90-SL
NUT(width) Bone(41.0mm)
INLAY Dot(Amber Cell)
PICKUPS PAF-Vintage MK2×2(Made In Japan)
CONTROLS 2V.,2T.,3way Toggle
JACKS Switchcraft
COLOR SB (Lacquer Finis)
Serial 08***14 Made in Japan
Weight 3500g
Case Hard case

Comes to about $1700 with case and shipping. I played one in the rockshop and it was really nice so i know what they are like but that one was going for $2500! Id like some opinions on it first though. My other option was to get a 12 string tear drop from phantomguitars.com in the states which are around 750 US.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Re: Tokai 335

Post by bender »

Just my personal opinion but I think that's too much to pay for something like that. Not that they're overcharging you understand- I just think that there are better options out there for the money. If you're looking at spending up to $2000 there are loads of options to check out. That price is very optimistic too. You're likely to pay more than what they are advertising for shipping (typically $200 or more US) plus GST and customs duty when it lands. That in combination with today's exchange rate will push the price far closer to the RS price.

The RS guys on this forum may well do you a better deal if you approach them here.

stinkey diver
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stinkey diver »

Interesting. What other options are you suggesting? Im really in the game for a 335, and i dont really want an epiphone. I did look at a bunch but i found the tokai to be better quality and better made IMHO. I was quoted $150 US for the shipping. And thats comming from Japan.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 417 times
Been liked: 1016 times

Post by bender »

That still comes out at about $2350 after the conversion and typical (in my experience) customs fees. Getting a good 335-a-like is kind of hard. Maybe the Tokai would be a good option, but I'd rather buy one I could get my hands on first. That way you won't be disappointed.

Ibanez Artists are a great option to check out- not really sure what they go for, but the last one I played was really cool. They also have a slightly refined shape to them that makes them a tiny bit more individual.

I really like the semi hollow Reverends that I've tried- not really 335-a-likes but great as a semi hollow type.

2 of my mates bought Cort 335 style guitars at about the same time and one of them is terrific while the other is terrible.

There's quite a bit out there but I just find too much variation in quality to justify buying a guitar blind- especially for the sake of only a few hundred bucks. Again- just sharing my opinion/experiences don't take it as gospel :D

stinkey diver
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stinkey diver »

Awesome thanks.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

What are customs duties these days anyway?

Is it 12.5% like GST, or is it random depending on what it is you're bringing in?

I got stung bringing in a MIJ Strat body and case from the US last year, but I can't remember what I payed for it. The NZCustoms bill was like $80.

Make sure you keep an eye on the US/NZD exchange rate too. I bought at a pretty good time actually (around $0.75 to the NZD) but it has been fluctuating a bit recently due to the financial turmoil in the US currently.

ALthough considering it has been as low as 38c in recent years I think you'll be doing alright at the mo.

Just take everything you can into consideration when you do your sums, and work on worst case scenario rather than best.
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

Oh, and bloody nice guitar btw.

Very John Lennon.
Nothing to see here.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Miza »

I like this better though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :middle:us

And that's a good price too!
Nothing to see here.

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

The RS boys will get you that guitar at a better price.

Look on Ebay for a Gibson ES333 they go for the same price.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

The Jap Tokais were a great option.....unfortunately we haven't brought any Tokais in for a couple of years. We've got very little stock left...and no Tokai 335's :-/

Aside from this, finding a good 335 copy is the hardest thing in the world. The Ibanez Artists are great, but they are a slightly different vibe to a 335. The ESP-Edwards guitar looks kinda cool, but ESP won't give NZ Rockshops access to the Edwards line (it is for local Japanese market only)

I think the best option myself is to get an Epiphone Dot Super and load it with Gibson 57 Classic pickups. RRP on that lot is around $1700 or so....but of course we could give you a bit of a deal and you'd probably wash up paying around $1500 or so (and get a warranty of course). Sweet!!!!
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

stinkey diver
Stagg
Stagg

Post by stinkey diver »

I think im actually going to get that teardrop guitar at bungalo bills lol.