CRC causing string breakage?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

philbit
Fender
Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: CRC causing string breakage?

Post by philbit »

Try the SRV way, A 5/8"-long piece of plastic tubing (insulation from electrical wire) over each string to protect it from the metal "break points".It worked for Stevie :|

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

philbit wrote:Try the SRV way, A 5/8"-long piece of plastic tubing (insulation from electrical wire) over each string to protect it from the metal "break points".It worked for Stevie :|
True. This could be worth a try. I guess it wouldn't go ove the saddles, that seems like it would mute the string. But just over the bend points at the bridge before the saddle, right?

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Wow - I hadn't heard of that before. Love to hear if it works mr Sooty?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 657 times
Been liked: 562 times

Post by TmcB »

So the strings are snapping at the saddle?
You could try the old pencil-lead trick, see if that helps.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

^Skitzo^
Stagg
Stagg

Post by ^Skitzo^ »

Rog wrote:Wow - I hadn't heard of that before. Love to hear if it works mr Sooty?
Saddles: vintage replacement saddles, not matched, modified to increase the angle of the string break over the contact point to reduce string breakage. The strings were also run through a small piece of plastic tubing from inside the tremolo block hole beyond the saddle contact point, also to reduce string breakage. The block/bridge top plate is also ground to elminate the sharp edge where the string contacts the metal.

= ) This was taken from:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/fender/ ... r-one.html

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

I believe the new vintage style saddles on the 08 version of the American Standard (which I have) has a similar modification to the saddles, to decrease string breakage like that. Clearly it doesn't work.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

mr_sooty wrote:I believe the new vintage style saddles on the 08 version of the American Standard (which I have) has a similar modification to the saddles, to decrease string breakage like that. Clearly it doesn't work.
A set of Stringsaver saddles might end up costing less than another months worth of strings by the sound of it. :lol:
I have a set handy if you're interested. Or Ferraglide saddles if you want to retain the stock steely tone and have a few more months worth of strings to save.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mr_sooty »

The only thing with the string saver saddles is that I don't really like the look, I like my Strats to look fairly classic. But how much are they anyway?

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

$65 for the black ones. $105 for the steel ones with the little black graphtech insert. That could probably be done to the existing saddles for less though.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Ears
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Ears »

Anybody mention maker of the strings as being the culprit? People will have different experiences, but I've always found E Ball and Fender strings hopeless, they've broken promptly whenever I've used them, so I avoid them. I also found that a set of so called 'cryogenic' strings were also brittle and I won't be trying them again.
"The piano is a monster that screams when you touch its teeth". - Andres Segovia

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Ears wrote:Anybody mention maker of the strings as being the culprit? People will have different experiences, but I've always found E Ball and Fender strings hopeless, they've broken promptly whenever I've used them, so I avoid them. I also found that a set of so called 'cryogenic' strings were also brittle and I won't be trying them again.
i've actually found E ball to be really good, haven't actually broken a string in 9+months :shock: (and there are times when im hammering the hell outta them :wink: )and the coated beefy slinkys im using now seem to be even better 8)
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

+1 I've used EBs for ages now, I use relatively light strings compared to a lot of you (9-42s), and I'm quite a brutish and percussive player... but they never break. Whatever strings ash put on my custom as well, they haven't broken (I haven't changed them since I got it!), and haven't gone overly dead (although that will probably be disproved the moment new strings get put on :lol:)
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

mr_sooty wrote:The only thing with the string saver saddles is that I don't really like the look, I like my Strats to look fairly classic. But how much are they anyway?
I have a set and I agree with you - I prefer the originals for aesthetic reasons. However when I went to replace one of my originals, string savers were half the price of Fender replacements.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

sopachrga
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by sopachrga »

I found EB to rust very quickly.
But I can't help with the string breaking... I've played for about 10 years, and have never broken a string while playing!
Ummm....

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

sopachrga wrote: never broken a string while playing!
Are you for real??? How does that happen :shock: .

I've broken many, both live and at home, pick thickness sometimes, to rough other times... with my old Ibanez I had "locking trem model" I had to change the springs as strings broke regular. My current Ibanez I break a string here and there, mainly from a extra bend, or to much whiskey or both! I break strings on my acoustics from mainly to much whiskey, or my pick gauge. Breaking strings is part of playing guitar, just breaking many often is out of the ordinary, and then using CRC is just hilarious

I've never heard of never breaking a string while playing :?
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage