Careers?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Careers?

Post by thehenderson »

I have a school friend who did percuission at Sydney Con, then went to London Con. He now makes a living playing sessions for some big acts as well as orchestra pits etc. A performance degree from Sydney or London Con shows an employer you have a lot of will power and dedication etc etc, so surely there's some crossover appeal in that

te_chris
Ashton
Ashton

Re: Careers?

Post by te_chris »

Ears wrote:Edit: In fact in my ideal world I'd like to see an end to musical ghetto courses: classical - jazz - rock - pop etcThey all ought ideally to be under one umbrella, music. I can't see any difference in being taught to perform baroque with correct style to being taught to play jazz fusion in style (excepting for instrumentation and improvisation etc). - if you get my drift. I really dislike the term "classical", imo it is often misused. In terms of "Guitar playing with capital G" I prefer to use the term classical purely in repect to playing technique, i.e. fingerstyle on nylon. Electric guitar has its own playing techniques, applied to styles: jazz, rock, popular music etc. No reason it can't be adopted to much single-line repertoire from earlier periods, except for instrumentation issues (it sure would sound novel an electric guitar replacing the violin in a Beethoven piano trio). Pupils in conservatoriums playing "classical" would surely benefit from learning some rock and jazz as well. Vice versa. Just musing.
Just reading back on the thread. This is pretty much what the otago degree is in all but name. We all do the same papers, just different performance fwiw. I have don't both song writing and compositon as well as technology (not very high level, easy A+), counterpoint, harmony etc.

But i'm not talking about otago anymore because believe me, it's not perfect, just wanted to clear that up