Ibanez Jcraft vs J Custom

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Re: Ibanez Jcraft vs J Custom

Post by Danger Mouse »

I always thought the J Customs were high-end JDM only guitars? Certainly plenty of the on Ishibashi...
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

J Craft is the Fuji Gen factory in Japan. All the export Japanese Prestige models from Fuji Gen have a J Craft badge on the case, its just a marketing brand. J Custom is Japan only stuff, usually limited edition or occasional one-off. The difference between them is usually cosmetic, different veneers, colours, graphics, etc. Sometimes different pickups, rarely different hardware combos. J Custom guitars use the same hardware and whatnot as the rest of the Japanese lines. the only difference is really in marketing, some models for international markets, others for domestic.

Your S470 is Korean, so compared to a Japanese S-series it had (when it was unmodded) cheaper tuners, pickups, electrics and nut, but the same trem. The S450 is from a different era, so there is no direct comparison as they were before the ZR trem came out.
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

[quote="ash Your S470 is Korean, so compared to a Japanese S-series it had (when it was unmodded) cheaper tuners, pickups, electrics and nut, but the same trem. The S450 is from a different era, so there is no direct comparison as they were before the ZR trem came out.[/quote]

Would it be worth changing the nut/ tuners?

The s450 is MIJ, was a cheap buy 150usd, bit more now that I replaced the neck with a mint one now.

Anyone need a mint s470 neck that has been redone by Keith McMillian? I paid alot for the neck and also to have it redone, forgot all what he did now, been a few years but its awesome.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Tonemaker wrote:
ash wrote:Your S470 is Korean, so compared to a Japanese S-series it had (when it was unmodded) cheaper tuners, pickups, electrics and nut, but the same trem. The S450 is from a different era, so there is no direct comparison as they were before the ZR trem came out.
Would it be worth changing the nut/ tuners?

The s450 is MIJ, was a cheap buy 150usd, bit more now that I replaced the neck with a mint one now.

Anyone need a mint s470 neck that has been redone by Keith McMillian? I paid alot for the neck and also to have it redone, forgot all what he did now, been a few years but its awesome.
Is it a neck with a floyd rose locking nut or not?

Tonemaker
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Tonemaker »

I dont know, it looks the same on both the s450 and s470dxqm. The s450 has a dif trem, the s470 has the zr trem.
I had a dream last night, that everything I have got replaced with an exact replica.... (Steven Wright)