Buying guitar...Tokai?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

ratshark1
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Buying guitar...Tokai?

Post by ratshark1 »

Hey guys.
I'm looking to buy a guitar, and i came across a Tokai strat, it's on trademe... I've seen some reviews and it seems like a nice brand, and from what I know this particular guitar should be around the mid 80's (from looking at the headstock), thing is, I'm not sure what this guitar is worth? the buy now is $1200.. Is it more worth it to buy the robert cray signature model fender strat which is $1450? Btw I am a fan of vintage and underdog brand guitars (guitars that are surprisingly good when you expect it to suck @ss) so any other recommendations are welcome.
Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

rocklander
no offense, but I'm not a guitarist

Re: Buying guitar...Tokai?

Post by rocklander »

welcome to the forum mate.

capt. black has a couple of tokai love rocks and swears by them. I have one too and love it.
I hear the strats are also great axes and somewhat 'appreciated' but (caveat, I'm a singer so my opinion means squat :wink: ) I reckon that's a pretty high price. I got my love rock for <$600 (as a steal sure, but still, not half price).
have you played it? that'd be the first test no?
Some Bozo wrote:dogs represent the qualities we like to see in a friend, and cats represent the qualites we'd like to be able to get away with in ourselves :D
.__
. __\___
. _____D)
. __)
. __)
.__)pull my finger

stagepass

danrawkz
PRS
PRS
Been liked: 1 time

Post by danrawkz »

Too expensive for what it is, if you ask me. You'd be better off getting a Japanese Fender Strat for a price in the realms of $500-600

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

Yep overpriced, should be around $800, the 80's tokai's were very good, some of them excellent - not all though, I've owned a couple, one was great the other not so.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

otisredding
Fender
Been liked: 2 times

Post by otisredding »

Yep... $1200 is dreaming. $6-800 is about right.

I've owned a few Tokai guitars - Two Strats and Tele and they were all amazing for the money but not inspriing guitars.

For $6-800 you should be able to get an 80s Japanese Squier OR a Tokai - just be patient. 8)

ratshark1

Post by ratshark1 »

Ah, cheers guys. that put things into perspective