telecaster kitset on tm....thoughts?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

head_strong
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 5 times

telecaster kitset on tm....thoughts?

Post by head_strong »

hey all.

am quite interested in this .... http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... ermanent=0

am looking for a second guitar to meet my 'softer' requirements haha. ive done a few repaints and pickup swaps in guitars before, all with fairly decent results, and am dead keen on piecing a guitar together like this (i know its not hard but yeh lol itd be cool).

what im worried about is having a dud...not due to my skills but due to the kit being rubbish. i understand that its not going to be amazing, but is it too much to expect a half decent, giggable (hopefully in the not to distant future) guitar out of this?

i dont really wnat to spend much and this seems like a decent price, plus itl be cool to say its 'mine'. or should i just pick up a used squier for $200-$300. i have been offered a couple of squier strats between $200-$300 so would it be better just takn on of them and playin it safe?

any input would be great. would be even greater if someone brought my guitar....hahah

cheers

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 456 times
Been liked: 409 times

Re: telecaster kitset on tm....thoughts?

Post by dayl »

Well, by the time she's all up and running, you could have grabbed a resonably decent sec hand squier Tele of similar.

Unless you are genuinely interested in getting a bit of starter up experience in building and customising gats I would skip as its not going to workout being much cheaper done right, and could become quite time consuming then frustating if you make any mistakes. Having said that, it could be a really cool and rewarding :lol:

at least you dont need to strip the paint off the bugger though haha

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42&t=12128 - little bit of discussion here already about these 8)
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

crushing day
The Mystical Potato Head

Post by crushing day »

what we've got here is failure to communicate... some men you just can't reach

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

crushing day wrote:see here..

http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42&t=12128

edit: damn you Owen! :wink: :lol:
Victory is mine!
My web site
My band's site

NZRS-Dave wrote:I can help with that cos I read something somewhere about it.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

hmmm deja-vu, sounds familliar ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

Too late guys, I have already legitimised this thread with my sound advice. :lol: :P :lol:

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by DarcyPerry »

dayl wrote:Too late guys, I have already legitimised this thread with my sound advice. :lol: :P :lol:
Although Ash does have some fine points in the other (http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42&t=12128) thread... :wink:
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

dayl wrote:Well, by the time she's all up and running, you could have grabbed a resonably decent sec hand squier Tele of similar.

Unless you are genuinely interested in getting a bit of starter up experience in building and customising gats I would skip as its not going to workout being much cheaper done right, and could become quite time consuming then frustating if you make any mistakes. Having said that, it could be a really cool and rewarding :lol:

at least you dont need to strip the paint off the bugger though haha
Have to agree, but if you like tinkering, trawl tardme and find an SX or Squier of your persuasion, generally OK woods, and then strip it out, I sold my parts from that for $150, and got a lot of great parts from Iain at Guitarparts, plus a 1960s Dearmond goldfoil for the neck and ended up with my parts-o-tele like this

And it kicks arse :lol: :lol:

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

DarcyPerry wrote:
dayl wrote:Too late guys, I have already legitimised this thread with my sound advice. :lol: :P :lol:
Although Ash does have some fine points in the other (http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 42&t=12128) thread... :wink:
Ash always has fine points which is why I posted in this one :P ... no shadow.