A New Wrinkle in the Saga

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

A New Wrinkle in the Saga

Post by Yoda »

Check out this link.

First take a good look at the 3 guitars (forget about the bass) and think about what they look like.

Then click on the little circle that says Valley Arts Guitars between the Bass and the Tele.

Now tell me what's wrong with this picture. Anybody still feel like defending Gibson's right to sue PRS? take another look. It's right at the bottom of the page.

Here's the link:
http://www.valleyartsguitar.com/customguitars.html

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

Or you could just go to Gibsons home page and click on the link to Valley Arts Guitars. Thats their Fender clone division, pretty common knowledge. We can assume because Fender aren't suing them that Fender either have no claim or Gibson have an arrangement.
http://www.gibson.com/pure/products/products.html
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

Yoda
US of Fackin' A Fender

Post by Yoda »

Apparently Fender does not have a copyright on their body shapes so they are unable to sue anybody. They are also apparently looking into doing just that.

Trademark schmademark, blah blah blah. I don't care about no stinking trademarks. I don't care that a judge can be convinced of an infringement of a trademark when in truth, none really exists. Just becasue a judge can be swayed means nothing to me. Insanities in the courtroom happen every day. That doesn't make it right. The PRS single cutaway looks similar to the Les Paul but only in the most general of terms. It doesn't take much looking to see that they are absoluely NOT identicle. There is no trademark infringement. But that doesn't matter because Gibson has deeper pockets than PRS so they can shove the courts down PRS' throat. Big whoop. So they prooved they are more powerful. That don't impress me one bit.

In the past six to eight months or so there have been so many turning points which tend to cause me to think poorly of Gibson that I can't even count them all anymore. This after I spent my whole life lusting after them. And now this thing with them directly ripping off Fender's designs while suing PRS for the same thing. They just make me want to vomit. I used to use Gibson Vintage reissue strings on all of my electric guitars. No more. From now on I will not spend one dime on anything Gibson. And that is entirely their loss, not mine.

Look for a change in my signature tag line coming soon to reflect my new opinion of Gibson.

When you have to choose between two evils, pick the one you never tried before.

philipnz
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by philipnz »

I agree, the Singlecut looks nothing like a Les Paul. Actually I think they look ugly, kinda fat in the arse and too thin
Never put down to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

Are you still going on about that? Mate, Who cares, If you really really really feel that way then fine, buy into your PRS hype. Feel Like you are supporting the under dog, stop giving Gibson more money, Chuck out your Led Zep records. Do what ever makes you feel better.

But for heaven sake stop whining like some POM on Thailand beach about sand in your undies :x

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2276 times
Been liked: 3990 times

Post by Bg »

hey watch the POM remarks....

How about patents then? Just read that Frank Gambale has a patent pending on a tuning... how the fuck can you patent a tuning? Only in america....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bluesbird
Ashton
Ashton

Post by Bluesbird »

Fender patented the shape of their headstocks, not the guitar body :roll: It's all academic anyway, as US patents last just 17 years from memory.
"Under the monsters claws and in between his teeth
Was the shadow and a silhouette of what I thought I’d be
I don’t mind falling down and scraping up my knees
Scars and Stitches always fade and only strengthen me."
- Guster

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

TMG 03 wrote:Chuck out your Led Zep records. Do what ever makes you feel better.
No good for me mate, just bought 1 to 4 again on CD, left the albums in the UK and have been playing them from mp3.... $14.99 each at the warehouse was too good to miss.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

ash
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by ash »

Fender are trademark sluts.
Almost anyone can secure the right to reproduce Fender designs under licence by paying a royalty of about 5% on the shapes. Thats why strats are the most copied gats in the world. Coz' you can!!
http://ashcustomworks.com for custom built electric guitars hand made in new zealand

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

If I was making guitars on an assembly-line process and if I knew I could get away with it - I'd certainly have LP, SG, Tele & Strat copies included in my line.

I think the reality is that those four shapes form the basis of every major manufacturer's line 'in some way'. Fender have copies of Gibbys and vice versa. Ibanez and Samick et al certainly do.

In my opinion (note - MY - opinion - opinions don't make facts) I have always considered Gibson to be a better quality marque than Fender - yet I prefer Fender. Quality does not always relate directly to customer satisfaction.

I like Yoda's comment about Fender being the workingman's guitar - I think that is indeed the case. It is certainly more affordable - I can buy 2-3 US Strats for the price of 1 LP. This has the effect of allowing me to spend the extra money elsewhere. Any perceived quality difference therefore has to overcome that significant hurdle.

The bottom line still remains the same - everyone has different values and needs. How those values and needs are met are a very personal thing. As I've said before - I had nothing to do with the design of any manufacturers product - all I did was spend some cash to buy whatever suited me. Therefore I don't believe I have any right to dis any manufacturer. I choose what I want and pay for it - if I don't like any product for any reason - I don't buy it - end of story.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I can buy 250 Casio watches for the price of a Rolex and 300 Lada's for the price of a BMW, 2 MIJ Strats for the price of one US of Fackin' A. :P

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

ROTFL - yes, you can, but you still choose whatever suits you without worring about that which doesn't - yes?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

TMG 03
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by TMG 03 »

bluesgeek wrote:I can buy 250 Casio watches for the price of a Rolex and 300 Lada's for the price of a BMW, 2 MIJ Strats for the price of one US of Fackin' A. :P

I can buy two Gibson Les Pauls for the price of A PRS.

Led Zep 1 to 4 are a must really.
I was amazed that the warehouse is so cheap on CD's. It is after all the largest CD retailer in NZ these days

I just managed to pick up 40 rolling stones Albums on (record ) remember them. for around $2 each. Some are actually very rare and all were in mint condition from a collector. He has over 800 Beach boy records/lp/ep/singles from every country in the world. :shock:

So different strokes for different folks.

Gelato
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Gelato »

I have played a Valley Arts guitar, and it was a whole lot better than any Fender or Gibson I have ever played. It really doesn't make any difference to me who makes the guitar if it sounds and play well, I leave the ethical issues to the lawyers :wink:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah, I'll get the rest of the Led Zep back catalogue next time I get paid ;) got the two Gary Moore ones I was after too.... I can't quit you baby is a bloody good version. I just wish he wouldn't sing on them ;)