Welcome to Guitar Street, Saigon

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Welcome to Guitar Street, Saigon

Post by Hot_Grits »

Hi everyone,

As some of you may know, I'm currently living in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.

One of the many things I've noticed about my new town is the tendency for shops of a certain type to congregate together. For example, my local market has a row of 10 fabric shops. This extends to all kinds of things: hardware, shoes, even ice cream of all things. And being new to town and distinctly disadvantaged with the local language, my wife and I often refer to streets by their overall purpose: ice cream street, passport photo street, paperclip street...

I'm joking about paperclip street. The shops on paperclip street also sell cellphone recharge cards.

Anyhoo, one of the most famous streets in Saigon is Guitar Street.

Now, this isn't guitar street like Denmark st or that precinct in Japan (fingers crossed for them blokes right now). Guitar Street in Saigon features about 20 tiny shopfronts all dedicated to producing and selling acoustic guitars and traditional Vietnamese instruments.

Here she is:

The average shopfront is about the size of those 1950s-era garages you see subsiding at the fronts of flats in kingsland. Most of the work happens upstairs or out the back:

each with obligatory shrine:

There isn't a lot of space inside, so ceiling storage is important:

...with a few guitars hanging in the shopfront just to let folks know what's up. This is a hard life for a guitar.

Some shops have assembly offsite. The standard mode of goods transport in this town is on the back of one of Saigon's 7 million scooters. If you think this looks like a thorough use of space you should see a dude carrying a fridge-freezer around on one:

The levels of workmanship on the guitars depend on the price. Each shop has a ton of cheapo guitars that are often painted in garish (read: cool) colours. Each shop also has it's high-end guitars, often held in glass display cases away from the perfect storm of Saigon dust and guitar maker dust that fills these shops.

Here's a beautiful Koa Takamine-style that a young dude had made. It had a very nice, balanced voice, and played very well:

Yes, that's wood binding:

Here's a standard dreadnought with a cedar top:

...and a 'pinkburst' cutaway takamine-style:

How much would you pay for something like that Koa Takamine-style? -300USD. Crank up the custom build specs and get a naked lady riding a dragon inlaid on the back and you might reach 400USD.

Speaking of inlay:

-much of the inlay work is on traditional-style instruments:

But wait: is that a dragon inlaid on a seven-string shredder?

Yes, there are electrics available on guitar street. It's not really the focus, and most are truly terrible budget electric 'fenders'. But there is a smattering of mid-quality pieces around. Here's one for the custom graphic crowd:

...with simply the BEST EVER shred guitar name:

And from there, things get weirder. Here's one for Willow:

And a powerfully barmy local entry into the compact guitar market:

The Ed-ophiles among us will know that EVH's first guitar was a Teisco. It appears that the 'brand' is being made locally:

Note the awesome original-style shape and the crazy controls. I don't know how any of it worked, especially the small red button. I pushed it , but nothing launched or spun or fell off.

The more observant 35-year-old Peter Pan shredders among you may have noticed something about that Teisco's fingerboard: EXTREME SCALLOPING!

-this is very common on local electrics. I think it's so players can get more microtonal sounds related to folk music, not due to any serious Yngwie-love.

Each shop has a small practice amp to check electronics with. This caught my eye. Muldoon-era?

So there you have it. Not your average bunch of guitar builders. here's some nuts:

jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 221 times

Re: Welcome to Guitar Street, Saigon

Post by smallface »

Awesome photos!
I'm sure that there will be an absolute gem or two hidden away there eh?

I was in Sao Paulo in Brazil last year and got taken to an area that was just exclusively guitar shops. If you can imagine a street the length of K Road with every (I mean every) shop having guitars & basses on sale you can imagine I was in absolute heaven. Some rare pieces there too and the prices were frightening.

We passed through other shopping areas too which were just dedicated to motorcycle parts, computers & what I found most bizarre, shop mannequins.
It all makes sense though. :-)
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

smallface wrote:Awesome photos!

I was in Sao Paulo in Brazil last year and got taken to an area that was just exclusively guitar shops. If you can imagine a street the length of K Road with every (I mean every) shop having guitars & basses on sale you can imagine I was in absolute heaven. Some rare pieces there too and the prices were frightening.

We passed through other shopping areas too which were just dedicated to motorcycle parts, computers & what I found most bizarre, shop mannequins.
The wife reckons the shops may congregate together due to zoning laws from the communist govt. But it's equally likely that it's just a continuation of tradition.

Sao Paulo? -that must have been off the hook. Guitar street here is more like from Leo 'OMalley's menswear to the Rockshop in length.

angry_young_poet
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by angry_young_poet »

cool, thanks for sharing. what an awesome place. :D

did you buy anything?

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

angry_young_poet wrote:cool, thanks for sharing. what an awesome place. :D

did you buy anything?
Nope. I will eventually, but it's going to be a while before I start cranking up my gear collection.

My crate of stuff arrives this week, so that'll be like having a pile of new gear.

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

Hot_Grits wrote:

The wife reckons the shops may congregate together due to zoning laws from the communist govt. But it's equally likely that it's just a continuation of tradition.

Sao Paulo? -that must have been off the hook. Guitar street here is more like from Leo 'OMalley's menswear to the Rockshop in length.
Yeah it was nuts. I thought that there may have been some bargains to be had, but to be honest it was cheaper here. 80s strat for about $3000 NZ. Some nice old 60s & 70s Fenders that were cool, but way overpriced. :-)
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

didnt realise that you were in this part of the world hot_grits. followed the missus over? :)

drop a line if you are swinging by into malaysia, it has been a while!

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

snitchez wrote:didnt realise that you were in this part of the world hot_grits. followed the missus over? :)

drop a line if you are swinging by into malaysia, it has been a while!
Vague plan is Malaysia in July for Liverpool FC vs Malaysian national team. So I'll take you up on that!

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Hot_Grits »

smallface wrote:
Hot_Grits wrote:

Yeah it was nuts. I thought that there may have been some bargains to be had, but to be honest it was cheaper here. 80s strat for about $3000 NZ. Some nice old 60s & 70s Fenders that were cool, but way overpriced. :-)
3K for an 80s strat is just silly.

Retail here is cheap, but the brands very limited. Yamaha, peavey and roland/boss pretty much. The closest thing I've seen to a vintage guitar is an '88 Charvel model 2. Dude wanted $600USD for it. Jousting sticks.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

That Koa acoustic with the wood binding is beautiful! :shock:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

Like congregation is very common worldwide, even down to coffee shops and fast food outlets being sited adjacent to or in close proximity to one another. Its sound business sense. In Asian countries its more pronounced mainly because there are far more shops and regulations are rather more 'relaxed'.

I still like the Asian way of restaurants. Chuck up a tent anywhere on the footpath and start up a food joint.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

alf
Ashton
Ashton

Post by alf »

Very cool and interesting - thanks for sharing

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Great looking guitars, and it must be so much fun to have to discover these axes on their merits rather than on a brand's reputation. Each shop must reserve a bunch of surprises, eh? :D What a cool street!
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I loled at the George Lynch skeleton copy

cool pics bro
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

SammyD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by SammyD »

Very nice HG. I'm going to Bangkok latter this year for a few days (may be more depending on Egypt) and hope to find something similiar to this to check out :)
If I was of the ilk to place quotes in signatures ... this would be in mine. - NZRS-Dave