Samick are the best guitar on the market

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

I visited a music shop in Palmy recently and during conversation made one of our forum in-joke responses about Samick. There was a deathly stillness, followed by looks of disbelief that an old fart could know so little. They then proceed to tell me that Samick is among the best brands available and if I really wanted to talk about crap guitars, I should be talking Gibson. After all Gibson quality is in the toilet and had been for years and to be honest they never were much chop anyway and their prices are in the sky and you'd have to be mentally-challenged to buy one. Samick is an honest modern brand with excellent build quality, a total range to suit everyone and their prices are well affordable etc.

It seems my 'brandards' are confuzzled and my brain addled with age. What's your excuse for not having a Samick over a Gibby?
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

DarcyPerry
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: Samick are the best guitar on the market

Post by DarcyPerry »

I had a samick once. It was given to me (thanks TerexGeek) and I gave it away. It was a fender strat copy. I don't have an excuse. I didn't like it. Enough said. :|
Last edited by DarcyPerry on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's all a gift... and I have to keep giving it back, or it goes away. If I start believing that it's all my doing, it's gonna be my undoing." - Stevie Ray Vaughan
http://www.darcyperry.co.nz

alanp
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by alanp »

My India-made guitar is better than both :P
Capt. Black wrote:Call me if you're looking for the sound of a sows ear made from a silk purse with a side of hot bitches and alcohol

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1021 times
Been liked: 2505 times

Post by Slowy »

Rog, the whole idea is too Samick to take seriously. :P
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

I don't know about 'best guitars on the market', but they've certainly come a long way in the last 20 years. Greg Bennet guitars are among the best bang for the buck guitars out there that's for sure. They're extremely high quality for the price. And certainly Gibson offers less in terms for value for money, as the difference in quality between a Greg Bennet and a Gibson is far less than the astronomical price difference suggests. I would still say that Gibson make a higher quality, better sounding guitar than Samick, but the gap is a lot smaller than most people would think/admit. In fact many Asian brands are putting out extremely high quality Chinese made guitars these days, and people really need to get past the idea that 'made in USA' automatically means better quality than 'made in China', because it's just not the case.

RuBear
Gibson

Post by RuBear »

Not a big gibson fan, but samick<gibson
Ok I got rid of my Foal quote, but I found a new one.
foal30 wrote:some 80's metal makes me want to dress up like a woman, just like they did back in the day.
is this sort of what you mean?

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

My first guitar was a samick strat copy.

Once I put in a dimarzio super distortion and a Seymour Duncan hot rails, the plywood body became irrelevant.

Once I replaced the bridge with a floyd, its shittiness became irrelevant.

Once my bandmate and I smashed the necks of our guitars together and munted all the frets and I replaced the neck, its shittiness became irrelevant.

:P

But once I found out it was plywood I soured on it. I cannibalised it for parts and threw the body in a skip. ;-)

As it happens, I still have a samick: a Warlock copy with the aforementioned super distortion, in drop-C. Its shit [/word filter]
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

Tsuken
In the Name of Vai

Post by Tsuken »

Of course, that first samick was in 1987, and the warlock I got second hand in the early 90s, so they're both old ... I mean wowrarevintagecollectible
My twitting tweets of twitterness

@ash lol/RT "@ChelseaVPeretti Had fun in the Cinema Tent tonight w @adultswim @robcorddry #bonnaroo #fonz #hottubtimemachineintonationjokes #childrenshospital #mud #pee" //by @Jenesis

Here be bloggins

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

ROG that's what you get for going into musicworks.......and vester's were cooler than samicks :mrgreen:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Clanger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by Clanger »

I'm not impressed with the tuning issues with Gibson guitars. My acoustic Indonesian made Samick stays in tune and sounds quite good for the $160 I paid for it back 98 (still going strong). Maybe they have a point.

A guitar isn't worth a pinch of salt if the fuckin' thing doesn't stay in tune.
Make Music Great Again

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7779 times
Been liked: 4204 times

Post by jeremyb »

willow13 wrote:ROG that's what you get for going into musicworks.......and vester's were cooler than samicks :mrgreen:
Yarrr I had a vester superstrat with sharkfin inlays, metallic red body, so hot in 1989!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by Rog »

willow13 wrote:ROG that's what you get for going into musicworks.......and vester's were cooler than samicks :mrgreen:
Not musicworks..

According to some TM owners, Vesters were made by Jansen.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

shinenz
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Post by shinenz »

Um i still own a samick lol, acoustic electric hack.....works fine, have owned an electric samick many moons ago...oh and an amp to bang with it...both were awful, but so was my ability then!! My son has a probe les paul copy, and i gota say, it's a very good guitar..... so i dunno....i'd take my gibby over a samick anytime
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage

nzsimon1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nzsimon1 »

Last edited by nzsimon1 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.