A guitar love affair

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

A guitar love affair

Post by handsoffmatt »

(prelude warning - this post is long, rambling and somewhat wishy washy. There's your warning, so future posts of "tl;dr" will not be entered into :P )

I had a pretty cathartic experience this week, and I wanted to share, because it reminds me a lot about why I do what I do.

So, I've spent the vast majority of my professional life around guitars. Since my first serious 9-5 working behind the counter at K'Rd Rockshop and the career that spawned, through to spending the last 17 years on stage pretty much every Friday/Saturday night (and assorted other nights) playing the damn things... it's been a good life spent around guitars, and certainly one borne of passion.

It's had a side-effect though. It's fair to say that I've become somewhat laissez-faire about guitars. I mean I still love guitars, but I'm just not that precious about them anymore. I treat them like tools and don't have the same sort of emotions I used to have about them, like the time I was a kid and threw down a lot of hard earned cash for my first DECENT guitar and couldn't sleep that night. I still like having them, but it's like the drug addict who used to get a massive high from his first hit of smack, and now just has to have some to feel normal every day. It's got a little like that for me, I go through phases of buying guitars, but even though they are all good guitars (I don't buy shitty guitars :), there are only a couple in the collection that have a degree of emotional attachment, most of them were bought for a tangible purpose.

And not just that.....because I spend my whole day around guitars, I see a LOT of them, and I see all their flaws and limitations as much as their sexiness. It's probably like a guy that works as a bouncer in a strip bar or something. After a while you see so many naked chicks that you stop getting turned on, and you're like "yeah, I guess she's hot, but her roots are showing after her bad dye job" or something like that. You become somewhat immune to that whole thing that keeps the customers there in the first place.

Anyway, so I had a NGD today, courtesy of a stolen guitar that got recovered thanks to you guys on NZG. It's a green PRS Singlecut, that was pretty damn old stock for us - probably due to the fact that of all the colours, GREEN is the hardest to sell. In fact we'd had this guitar in stock so long, it was dead set one of the oldest stock guitars we had in the whole company (top 3 for sure). I was actually well familiar with this guitar as I had seen it many many times in my travels around the stores, mostly because I used to think "damn that guitar is ugly, why the hell did they buy that" (it was purchased by a previous buyer on one of my hiatuses from RS).

Yup, this guitar was ugly in my eyes. I always saw it as a LP wannabe, and although I've always been hip to PRS' unarguably superior build quality, to me an LP is an LP and anything else is just playing second best. I'll even confess to being slightly relieved when I heard that THIS guitar was one of the stolen ones...I was happy to see the backside of it since it seemed no mug was gonna buy it.

But if there's one thing I abhor, it's criminals - so once the guitar had been located (thanks to the fair crowd here at NZG), I figured we'd best recall the damn thing. The guitar was recovered by our staff and I ordered it back to my office so it could be turned into the insurance company. Once it arrived back, it was in less than ideal condition. It had picked up a couple of scratches and dings, the strings were starting to corrode, and it was coated in a layer of what we affectionately call in the industry "bogan-juice" - (named after sweaty kids who walk into our stores jam on a guitar for half an hour, then put it back on the shelf with a greasy layer of filth over it).

As fate would have it, I had a new boost pedal in my office I wanted to check out which really could have benefitted from a Humbucker guitar, and as the only other thing in close reaching distance was a Telecaster, I figured I'd plug the PRS in to give it a whirl. At this stage I'm pretty sure what to expect, I'm pretty familiar with PRS guitars. Plugged in the PRS, adjusted the amp the way I like it, flicked the standby switch, played a chord and......

FFRRAAAAAAAANNNNNNNG!!!!!!!!!!

This thing sounds BITCHIN'. "Ooooh I like this pedal" I think. Then I look down and see the pedal isn't even ON!!!! Oh, that's the guitar?!?!?!

FRRAAAAAAAAAANNNNNG CHG CHG CHG CHG KACHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNG!!!!!

Holy crap! This thing sounds like a Les Paul WISHES it sounded like. This when I start to notice how good the neck feels, and how good the fret job is. My interest is piqued now, so I give it a few fast runs, ready for the quasi baseball-bat neck to turn me off once I start my shred licks. This thing eats up my chops like appetizers and begs for more. Feels great, natural to play and just sounds as FAT as a plate of pork rinds, yet still with some lovely precision and definition. The thing sustains for africa too.

Knowing that this guitar doesn't have the coil-splitting trickery of other PRS models, I start thinking that it must be a one-trick rock pony, and as sublime as the bridge pickup is sounding, I figure it'll all fall apart to mush (like my LP does) once I go to the neck pickup and roll the volume back a little to clean it up for a decent neck rhythm sound. Craziness.....the neck pickup LOVES to have a little taken off the volume knob. It keeps it's definition and delivers a sweet, sweet tone that chimes OR purrs and completely stays together with fingers or a pick and just begs to be played.

It's a long time since I've been this impressed by a guitar right out of the gate. I'm pretty familiar with "the PRS thing". I've had a lot of experience with them, and owned a couple too. They're always objectively beautiful guitars, but I just hadn't had any of them really scratch an itch like this before. This green monstrosity has got SOUL, and it's got ATTITUDE....it's a freakin' raucous rock machine, and it's really got me excited!

So now I'm looking at this guitar thinking "actually it's not so ugly", in actual fact it almost starts looking attractive, and I start picturing myself wearing this guitar for an upcoming gig. I start wondering what it'll sound like with this rig and that, and that's when I know that i've been hooked. For the first time in years I've been wooed.... by this decidely average looking guitar (that now I sort of start to see the beauty in) that just knows how to talk to me in all the right ways.

So a bit of correspondence with the insurance company, some money changes hands and now I have a new guitar.... but not just any guitar. A guitar that has invigorated me, inspired me, makes me wanna play (I've been playing it much of this evening after i gave it a good cleanup) and a guitar that reminds me that guitars transcend their purpose as a tool. They are objects of mystery and magic, and when a guitar connects with a player, it's a bit like love. It can't be accounted for, but it's visceral and real and one of the greatest things ever.

So that's my super long NGD story. Can't WAIT to get this thing to a gig (It might have to wait a week till after Easter) and really put it through it's paces. I think it's gonna do just fine though. Most importantly though, it's jolted this salty sea-dog back into the reality of just how great these wood and steel objects of our desire really are. Gonna make a personal pact not to ever buy another guitar that doesn't move me in a similar way.

To those of you still left reading after this somewhat hefty post, thanks for sharing my joy....and I hope this inspired you to go out find your guitar soulmate (if you haven't already)

"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 644 times
Been liked: 810 times

Re: A guitar love affair

Post by hamo »

I hate you so much right now.

:mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

dc
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by dc »

Great story!

I've always figured you don't choose a guitar, it chooses you.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 700 times

Post by AiRdAd »

great post Matt !

and I love the green too
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

:mental: :congrats:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 741 times
Been liked: 516 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I know exactly what you mean about seeing guitars as tools with a 'purpose' after a while... I feel the same now. My Ash Custom constantly impresses me though... Possibly the only guitar to ever do that.

It's really awesome when you find something that just amazes you though, especially if its a cheap one.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7838 times
Been liked: 4228 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice one Matt, funny how we find love in odd places some times :) needs black pickup rings and knob tip tho ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1218 times
Been liked: 1408 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Very nice ! I miss my PRS sometimes, it was just built so goddam well.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

Cool story Matt. Know exactly how you feel. I can't be bothered with guitars that don't do that to me.

Maybe I should have another look at that ugly, battered ASAT Z3..... :think:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

Awesome.

I actually sold that exact model/colour guitar to a random customer (quite a few years ago now) and I remember the rest of the staff going "Jeez... you sold that green thing?". So I understand the initial prejudice, ha ha.

I can also relate - it's also one of the reasons I stopped working in music retail - bombarded with music and instruments all day in a busy store, I wasn't inspired to go home and make my own. You can definitely start getting numb to it. As soon as I stopped doing that, I started writing and getting excited again.

Glad that guitar was recovered.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

All the better for having no expectation, if anything maybe loathing, yet it got ya.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Niiiice. And you never really came across as a LP/Singlecut player, so it's cool that you found this one.

I think I feel this way too, but obviously on a smaller level - I have so many guitars going in and out of the house at any given time that unless it's extremely special, I struggle to strongly bond with it. I had the same amazing feeling the first time I picked up my black Wolfgang, though! Now I'm hooked.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Great read Matt. I share the PRS Single Cut love. :D

So... how's about bringing in a couple of PRS 408s then? One with a trem and a nice faded blue burst flame would be good. :wink:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Great story, especially as I can still remember my first PRS experience (mate's Custom 22), after I'd avoided the guitars for years due to the wannbe Gibson/Santana/Nu Metal association. I really didn't want to like it, but after playing a few songs on it I had to begrudgingly admit it was a great guitar.

Does beg to obvious question though... have you tried an Edwards?
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Uh ohhh....
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.