New to this, looking for some advice

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Nereus
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

New to this, looking for some advice

Post by Nereus »

Hi folks

I picked up an electric guitar today for the very first time, and sucked harder than I have ever sucked at anything before, and loved it. So I am searching for a cheap first guitar to learn with while I attempt to suck less. My budget is about $250, hoping to keep it to $200 or so if at all possible.

Should I be buying used or just opting for one of the cheaper introductory models, from Rockshop for example? I have heard suggestions for both from musicians, with the main downside of buying used seeming to be quality control.

I had a look on trademe for used guitars and I can see quite a few expensive models that I know are lovely but well out of my price range. So if I pursue the used route, are there any better than average models I should keep an eye out for on TM that I might be able to nab for less than $250 over the next few months? I'm sure there are plenty of 'what guitar should I get' threads about, but I am interested in what models that would be well worth using if I manage to get to the intermediate stage of playing and want to upgrade - again, keeping cost and used status in mind.

Cheers for any help you folks can provide

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2269 times
Been liked: 3928 times

Re: New to this, looking for some advice

Post by Bg »

Nereus wrote:Hi folks

I picked up an electric guitar today for the very first time, and sucked harder than I have ever sucked at anything before, and loved it. So I am searching for a cheap first guitar to learn with while I attempt to suck less. My budget is about $250, hoping to keep it to $200 or so if at all possible.

Should I be buying used or just opting for one of the cheaper introductory models, from Rockshop for example? I have heard suggestions for both from musicians, with the main downside of buying used seeming to be quality control.

I had a look on trademe for used guitars and I can see quite a few expensive models that I know are lovely but well out of my price range. So if I pursue the used route, are there any better than average models I should keep an eye out for on TM that I might be able to nab for less than $250 over the next few months? I'm sure there are plenty of 'what guitar should I get' threads about, but I am interested in what models that would be well worth using if I manage to get to the intermediate stage of playing and want to upgrade - again, keeping cost and used status in mind.

Cheers for any help you folks can provide
Welcome to the forum :)
less than $250 is obviously going to limit you! But I've been able to pickup a reasonable SX Tele for that price, and their Strats are reasonable too, you'll need to put some cash aside to get it set up anyway! I've had many decent Squier Strats, and many indecent ones too, bit of a lottery really.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7799 times
Been liked: 4216 times

Post by jeremyb »

The issue I always see with secondhand when you're a beginner is you don't know what to look for or what is a good deal, $250 doesn't get you much of a guitar new tho', is there a certain shape or style you prefer?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

BG wrote:I've had many decent Squier Strats, and many indecent ones too, bit of a lottery really.
Having said that, when we talk about "quality control" and "indecent" guitars, we're a long way away from how utterly crappy a crap guitar could be, just a few decades ago.

Where did you pick up that guitar you played for the first time today? Can you keep going at it? I ask because it's a lot easier to spot a bad anything (car, house, relationship, pizza) when you're even a little familiar with them.

Another question, leading on from Jeremy's... who are some of your favourite bands or guitarists? When I was starting, I spent a long time trying to understand why my strat copy didn't let me sound like Angus Young, for example. Bit frustrating and, had I bought an SG copy from the start, I would have been a much happier camper.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1023 times
Been liked: 2507 times

Post by Slowy »

Hello, Greetings and Welcome. :D
Some questions:
Electric guitars need an amplifier, do you have one or do you have a budget for one?
Are you a novice player or do you currently play acoustic? (ie. Have some idea of what a guitar feels like to play)
Do you know anyone who plays guitar to a reasonable standard who could check an instrument for you?
What are your musical tastes and ambitions?
Do you have any preferences as to the type of electric guitar?

The danger to a beginner of a too small budget is the high possibility of getting a guitar that is so hard to play that you give up in despair. I have a passion for hunting down and killing these abominations. :twisted:

The point being, for $200 you are unlikely to find an instrument you will be happy with as an intermediate player. Happily, many electric guitars are easily upgradable; just unscrew the old hardware and replace with better stuff.

As long as you are not wanting to play heavy chug or detuned Metal, BG is right on the money with the SX Telecaster. The neck, body and frets are all way better than the price would suggest. That makes for a guitar that plays well, which is your first consideration. The tuners, bridge, pickups and controls need replacing but this can be done over time as your skills improve. Once done, you will have a great working guitar for no more than $500 total.

Telecasters are a polarising instrument. In this forum you will find love and hate for them in equal measure. The point for you is that Telecaster upgrade parts are plentiful and fairly cheap and the guitar itself is a versatile instrument.
Happy hunting!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 859 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

A lot of us are trying to suck less after quarter of a century, the key is to keep loving it.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

I've got one for sale in your price range.
http://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopi ... 49&t=25296
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3529 times
Been liked: 724 times

Post by Cdog »

calling card wrote:A lot of us are trying to suck less after quarter of a century, the key is to keep loving it.
:oops: :lol:

nztim
Squier
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nztim »

Single coil wrote:I've got one for sale in your price range.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make."

SixGunLover
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by SixGunLover »

+1 to Single coil's Charvel, you'd be very very very hard pressed to find a better deal than that, and a HSS Strat-style guitar is a great instrument for a beginner to learn on. Just do it.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Well I didn't mean to start the third reich of guitar sales, but hey, PM me your email and I'll get some pictures on the way to you!
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Sc's charvel is a great deal. Just to add to the conversation, you can get a squier bullet strat for $199 new. They have been consistently great little guitars, so as a slightly more traditional option, they are great value.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

badmotor
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by badmotor »

That's just market insanity that S.Coil's Charvel hasn't gone yet.
Hot_Grits wrote:Someone should print this thread out and hang it in an art gallery.

Nereus
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Nereus »

Cheers for the help folks.
jeremyb wrote:The issue I always see with secondhand when you're a beginner is you don't know what to look for or what is a good deal, $250 doesn't get you much of a guitar new tho', is there a certain shape or style you prefer?
To be honest I don't like the look of flying V or explorer shapes. I really like the look of the older Les Paul bodies. Does shape effect the sound much? I thought it was largely cosmetic or ergonomic.
Vince wrote:
BG wrote:I've had many decent Squier Strats, and many indecent ones too, bit of a lottery really.
Having said that, when we talk about "quality control" and "indecent" guitars, we're a long way away from how utterly crappy a crap guitar could be, just a few decades ago.

Where did you pick up that guitar you played for the first time today? Can you keep going at it? I ask because it's a lot easier to spot a bad anything (car, house, relationship, pizza) when you're even a little familiar with them.

Another question, leading on from Jeremy's... who are some of your favourite bands or guitarists? When I was starting, I spent a long time trying to understand why my strat copy didn't let me sound like Angus Young, for example. Bit frustrating and, had I bought an SG copy from the start, I would have been a much happier camper.
I picked it up at a friends house. I could... but it would be infrequent. He doesn't feel comfortable me borrowing it and I could tell I am not competent enough to not get on his nerves, asking to practice with his, both with the asking and with him having to listen to me consistently screwing up the opening guitar to (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction.

My favourite guitarists - Neil Young is easily my favourite, but Peter Green,Tony Iommi, Michael Schenker and Ritchie Blackmore would probably be my top 5, in that order. I was motivated to learn after seeing Neil perform recently. I am not trying to sound like them - especially not on a budget of $250.
slowfingers wrote:Hello, Greetings and Welcome. :D
Some questions:
Electric guitars need an amplifier, do you have one or do you have a budget for one?
Are you a novice player or do you currently play acoustic? (ie. Have some idea of what a guitar feels like to play)
Do you know anyone who plays guitar to a reasonable standard who could check an instrument for you?
What are your musical tastes and ambitions?
Do you have any preferences as to the type of electric guitar?

The danger to a beginner of a too small budget is the high possibility of getting a guitar that is so hard to play that you give up in despair. I have a passion for hunting down and killing these abominations. :twisted:

The point being, for $200 you are unlikely to find an instrument you will be happy with as an intermediate player. Happily, many electric guitars are easily upgradable; just unscrew the old hardware and replace with better stuff.

As long as you are not wanting to play heavy chug or detuned Metal, BG is right on the money with the SX Telecaster. The neck, body and frets are all way better than the price would suggest. That makes for a guitar that plays well, which is your first consideration. The tuners, bridge, pickups and controls need replacing but this can be done over time as your skills improve. Once done, you will have a great working guitar for no more than $500 total.

Telecasters are a polarising instrument. In this forum you will find love and hate for them in equal measure. The point for you is that Telecaster upgrade parts are plentiful and fairly cheap and the guitar itself is a versatile instrument.
Happy hunting!
I do not have an amplifier - pretty much all my friends have spare ones sitting around if I need to travel with one, but I was intending on hooking it up to my computer as a budget alternative to paying for an amp. It makes the prospect of buying a guitar seem much better if I can eliminate half the cost with a $45 cable.

I have one friend who plays fairly well, but not sure about his level of guitar playing proficiency. I know he plays, just not how well.

I am a complete novice - I have absolutely no desire to play acoustic as the sound just isn't what I want. Matter of fact when playing around with a few sequences yesterday I noticed how painful it was trying to reach the top strings on the fretboard (I had to twist my hand into a very uncomfortable position)- is this normal and will I get used to it?

I have one friend who plays fairly well, but not sure about his level of guitar playing proficiency. I know he plays, just not how well.

My ambitions - I would like to be able to get to the level of skill where I can improvise, possibly use it as a cathartic avenue for frustrations. I can't see myself playing in a band - maybe jamming with friends, but nothing on a remotely professional level. It is a hobby I would like to be excellent at as a means of expression. at 23 I feel like I probably shouldn't waste any more time if I want to be able to call myself proficient at it.

Solidbody electric guitar is what I am looking for - I am not that sure about the shape or brand as I am fairly oblivious to the less popular makes or what difference body shape makes to the sound or even how many of them feel while playing, all my friends have stratocasters(i think...) so that is all I have ever held. Ideally I would like a mahogany body as many of the guitar tones I have actually lookd into seem to come from mahogany body's - but I do not expect a cheap guitar to be made out of mahogany.
Single coil wrote:I've got one for sale in your price range.
I sent you a PM about it.

Edwards
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Edwards »

The main thing is to look good. Study different styles from google images
eg.
do you want to look kind of groovy and intelligent at the same time? - you will need a jazz style guitar
do you want to come across as dark and sombre, along with an interest in sorcery and roman history? - you will need a BC Rich or ESP
do you want to look attractive to the opposite sex? Les Paul
Are you weird or eccentric and have a kind of girlee voice? Prince Cloud guitar
etc etc
plus your shoes should always match your amp
ESP Edwards Jimmy Page Les Paul / ESP Eclipse > Rivera Quiana 212
We are the Christians that the devil warned you about