Luthiers in Wellington for setup/repairs?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Re: Luthiers in Wellington for setup/repairs?

Post by Bg »

Eruera wrote:
Vince wrote:
Eruera wrote: Simply holding the slide against the string with zero deflection would result in the string slapping against the slide...
That's why you use the slide on one finger (say the pinkie or ring) and muffle the strings behind the slide (ie on the nut side) with your other finger(s).
That's a different phenomenon. If you have poor slide contact as I was talking about, muting behind the slide mutes the whole string since the vibrating body isn't ending at the slide.
= 'not pressing down hard enough'
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

otisredding
Fender
Been liked: 2 times

Post by otisredding »

Depends what you want to do. If you want to play electric slide like Landreth or Trucks you can do it with a lower action and play softer etc. Even Lowell George had pretty light strings and lowish action on his Strats (for a slide player).

But If you want to play Delta blues style acoustic slide guitar with any kind of authenticity you HAVE to have taller action 'cause you're slamming it so hard with left AND right hands to get the SOUND and volume required.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

^ This +1, and not just for delta blues. It doesn't have to be as high as lap players, but gives better volume and no fret clack. I think I have my tri set at about 3.5 mm, and the acoustics I use about the same, maybe 3mm, and I use a heavy slide and 15-56 strings on the tri, and 12-52 on acoustics.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

otisredding wrote:Depends what you want to do. If you want to play electric slide like Landreth or Trucks you can do it with a lower action and play softer etc. Even Lowell George had pretty light strings and lowish action on his Strats (for a slide player).
Good point. But If we've been talking about a Jem set up for shred, I guess we were talking (mostly) about electric slide.

Personally, I prefer a higher action on acoustics anyway, otherwise I get fret buzz when I play and it doesn't translate into anything tonally useful, as it could on electric.

But, in my case at least, that's a RH issue and nothing to do with how hard I press down with my LH.

Not sure if that's the same as "fret clack" (I wish we had all our guitar terms sorted, like the Spanish do ;) )
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

offender
Gretsch

Post by offender »

Regarding Kenny Duncan. I'm not disputing anything anyone has said in this thread, but my 2c worth on a simple interaction with the guy recently, for the first time to buy some saddles, was that it was pretty straightforward and he responded well to emails and the product was in stock. He has some stock in his store and the prices were not too bad. So if you're on the fence and just want to check out what is on offer, I recommend the trip, though the store is small. He keeps certain hours that are on his website which are probably important to note as they're not the usual 9-5.

Jackangus
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jackangus »

I find Kenny Duncan Quite rude at times, and very quick to get you out of his shop when your dropping your guitar off, talks to you a bit more when you are paying him though, which kinda shows you what he is all about.
Which is a contradiction on what he says on his video on his homepage on his website.
Also not sure about the give me 50% extra of the price of the job option, and ill jump your guitar to the front of the queue and get it back to you the same day, which bumps everyone else down the queue.
And without giving him too much stick, he is very expensive compared to other guitar techs.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

I guess his bed must make it possible to get out on all sorts of sides? ;)
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Jackangus
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jackangus »

Vince wrote:I guess his bed must make it possible to get out on all sorts of sides? ;)
In my experience with him, he likes the money.
He look's so stressed whenever I go in, and he can't get you out the door fast enough, I think he takes on way too much work for his 30 hour week.
He should up his hours, or turn away some of that work.
Everyone likes money, but Kenny will never turn away work which means unrealistic time frames for getting your guitar fixed.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

The new member who just posted here - I deleted your post as you linked another site that cannot be verified. Please just post the information without a link.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves