Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Re: Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:21 pm The cool thing about buying old Gibson guitars is, they already made their margin, waaayyyy back.

I’m waiting for them to announce you can only ever buy a lease to “own” a Gibson. And any future growth in the value of the asset is theirs to take their share from.
Given the only people that will be able to afford them soon live in retirement villages they'll be used to that setup, oh wow that explains the grandma cardigans too!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 807 times

Post by hamo »

Lyle wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:35 pm
hamo wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:17 pm
GrantB wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:21 pm The cool thing about buying old Gibson guitars is, they already made their margin, waaayyyy back.

I’m waiting for them to announce you can only ever buy a lease to “own” a Gibson. And any future growth in the value of the asset is theirs to take their share from.
"I can't sell you this guitar, but I can sell you this nft of said guitar."
Aren't they planning that?

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/gibson-nfts-models
Hadn't seen that, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I'm torn.

Gibson really upped their game in the last 5 years in terms of quality and options...along with price. For the quality aspects they should be commended. However, all this NFT/cardigan/retail stores and lifestyle brand crap realllyyy turns me off. I feel like the brand I fell in love 40 years ago is long gone, replaced by the new PE ivory tower f-wits.

And then I'm torn again, because this is the current model of doing business for so many things...look at Frederique Constant (watches)...small family brand, sold to Citizen 8 years ago. They are now producing the best watches in their history. I guess they don't make cardigans, or wish to sell NFT's of their watches. Humility goes a long way.

And lastly, I don't even know why this aggravates me.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

GrantB wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:17 am
Sometimes you just need to yell at a cloud.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:17 am

I'm torn.

Gibson really upped their game in the last 5 years in terms of quality and options...along with price. For the quality aspects they should be commended. However, all this NFT/cardigan/retail stores and lifestyle brand crap realllyyy turns me off. I feel like the brand I fell in love 40 years ago is long gone, replaced by the new PE ivory tower f-wits.

And then I'm torn again, because this is the current model of doing business for so many things...look at Frederique Constant (watches)...small family brand, sold to Citizen 8 years ago. They are now producing the best watches in their history. I guess they don't make cardigans, or wish to sell NFT's of their watches. Humility goes a long way.

NFTs are so 2021, but then again their cardigans are so 1960s.... For me its a bit like Metallica, they sold out with the Black Album and started making even shitter music, but their old stuff is still cool, so just ignore this new direction as its essentially a new brand, the old one is still what it was :-)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I thought NFT's were an April fool joke when I first heard about them, I'm not so sure I was wrong even now.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 354 times

Post by WellyBlues »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:26 pm I thought NFT's were an April fool joke when I first heard about them, I'm not so sure I was wrong even now.
A fool and his money are soon parted, doesn't matter if it's April or any other month!
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:24 am
robthemac wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:17 am Probably not worth starting a Novo Shocker thread, but anyway: https://reverb.com/item/78871905-novo-s ... pify_email
:sick:
'The graceful brushstrokes and subtle textures are only revealed upon close inspection.' I hope never to be that close to that thing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Now here's a new expression of the Les Paul finish.
Tom Morgan Lester on Elderly Instruments.
Tom Morgan.JPG
Tom Morgan.JPG (24.71 KiB) Viewed 507 times
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 598 times

Post by Starfire »

No, thank you.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

If it were on an '80s inspired shred stick, a Kramer Baretta or similar, I'd think it was pretty cool. On an LP, hideous.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

A NES Paul :rofl:
Attachments
IMG_5288.jpeg
IMG_5288.jpeg (73.51 KiB) Viewed 155 times