Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Danger Mouse »

Terexgeek wrote: To be fair there's a little more to that case, third degree burns and being hospitalised is not a "hot" cup of coffee but a dangerously scalding cup of coffee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v ... estaurants

I suspect that an 82 to 88 degree coffee cup wouldn't do that, but an indifferently microwaved cup definitely could get super heated above boiling point, making it a dangerous thing to do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating

Have I proof? No. Does it fit the evidence? Mostly.

Is it impossible that a McDonalds branch would use up the last of a cool coffee pot by heating it and then avoid admitting it to the Corporation?
Terexgeek wrote: If your healthcare isn't covered by insurance, you have little choice in the land that has the highest healthcare costs in the world. In fact your insurance company may only cover you IF you sue. Like the woman who had to sue to get her insurance to pay out and got roasted on the internet because that part was missed in all the news stories: https://nypost.com/2015/10/14/aunt-who- ... wyer-says/
Bit of a slow day today TG? :lol:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

As an aside (it is certainly a slow day here), my brother has been burned by hot coffee from a McDonalds drive-thru in the UK, which he claimed was because the lid wasn't on properly.

He got legal advice and tried to go after them for compensation, but got a response that essentially translated to "it was a hot coffee, you should have been more careful. Also please note our lawyers are way more expensive than yours".

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:As an aside (it is certainly a slow day here), my brother has been burned by hot coffee from a McDonalds drive-thru in the UK, which he claimed was because the lid wasn't on properly.

He got legal advice and tried to go after them for compensation, but got a response that essentially translated to "it was a hot coffee, you should have been more careful. Also please note our lawyers are way more expensive than yours".
In the UK, with funded healthcare, probably fair response?
Tin arse!!

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Terexgeek wrote: To be fair there's a little more to that case, third degree burns and being hospitalised is not a "hot" cup of coffee but a dangerously scalding cup of coffee. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v ... estaurants

I suspect that an 82 to 88 degree coffee cup wouldn't do that, but an indifferently microwaved cup definitely could get super heated above boiling point, making it a dangerous thing to do: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating

Have I proof? No. Does it fit the evidence? Mostly.

Is it impossible that a McDonalds branch would use up the last of a cool coffee pot by heating it and then avoid admitting it to the Corporation?
Terexgeek wrote: If your healthcare isn't covered by insurance, you have little choice in the land that has the highest healthcare costs in the world. In fact your insurance company may only cover you IF you sue. Like the woman who had to sue to get her insurance to pay out and got roasted on the internet because that part was missed in all the news stories: https://nypost.com/2015/10/14/aunt-who- ... wyer-says/
Bit of a slow day today TG? :lol:
Yeah, and sick of clickbait headlines.
Tin arse!!

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Anyone thought & prayed yet?
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:Bit of a slow day today TG? :lol:
Probably over caffeinated looking at the stack of work I've plowed through today!
Tin arse!!

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

Terexgeek wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Bit of a slow day today TG? :lol:
Probably over caffeinated looking at the stack of work I've plowed through today!
I must be under caffeinated then, looking at the stack of work I've avoided today :D

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Danger Mouse wrote: I reckon it is a bit of a stretch in real terms, but in the litigation-mad US, where they have to put warnings on coffee cups that the contents may be hot, even the smallest risk could be used to term the guitars unsafe.
probably never a truer word spoken
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Lawrence wrote:As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
I'm just intimidated by your guitars and don't feel capable of doing them justice. But if we have another Wellyfest ever I would love to have a thrash. And I don't discuss design decisions because I don't know anything about guitars. :mrgreen:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

hamo wrote:
Lawrence wrote:As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
I'm just intimidated by your guitars and don't feel capable of doing them justice. But if we have another Wellyfest ever I would love to have a thrash. And I don't discuss design decisions because I don't know anything about guitars. :mrgreen:
I'm the same, I'm really nervous about touching let alone playing people's custom guitars, homebuilt or otherwise!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

jeremyb wrote:
hamo wrote:
I'm the same, I'm really nervous about touching let alone playing people's custom guitars, homebuilt or otherwise!!
Lawrence's guitars are beautiful too. I get ham hands just looking at them, like I wouldn't be able to play anything remotely worthwhile.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Bam! Ouchies. Which shape is next?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Danger Mouse »

I still don't understand why the big cheifs at Gibson don't get how much damage they are doing to their brand with all this legal cat fighting.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

hamo wrote:
egads .. a dredge from a dark day! :oops:

yes thanks for the nice comments everybody....and it is time that we had another wellington gearfest!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.