Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Terexgeek »

codedog wrote:Oh look! It's a Flying V! :crazy:

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/tr ... r-1.871143

And lawsuit in three, two....
Tin arse!!

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wow, he comes across as really angry and combative, what a douche move.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Yeh what a cock
That video is really off putting. Arrogant. What makes buying expensive high end stuff worth it a lot of the time is the connection to the builder / artist. Who wants to be connected to this leather clad fucktard?
lets scare people into respecting our brand ?? Is that their vibe ? Fuck off. I'll take my jazzmaster and my harvester thanks very much.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Yeh what a cock
That video is really off putting. Arrogant. What makes buying expensive high end stuff worth it a lot of the time is the connection to the builder / artist. Who wants to be connected to this leather clad fucktard?
lets scare people into respecting our brand ?? Is that their vibe ? Fuck off. I'll take my jazzmaster and my harvester thanks very much.
This point makes me curious why more people aren't interested in Musicman or G&L, "It must be Fender" makes me scratch my head a bit. I don't lose sleep but I find humans endlessly interesting.
Tin arse!!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

If they'd taken on the Chinese, I would have had some respect and sympathy. That would be entirely justified.

"Only a Gibson is good enough".
Thanks, but I prefer brands that have higher standards than that.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Terexgeek wrote:
This point makes me curious why more people aren't interested in Musicman or G&L, "It must be Fender" makes me scratch my head a bit. I don't lose sleep but I find humans endlessly interesting.
Agreed.
My G&L is nothing like any Fender I've ever played though. It's closer to Suhr territory but definitely falls short in the comparison. But that has advantages; I don't like Suhrs. They're just too perfect and seem to me to lack the character that comes from having to work around a limitation or two.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

Slowy wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
Agreed.
My G&L is nothing like any Fender I've ever played though. It's closer to Suhr territory but definitely falls short in the comparison. But that has advantages; I don't like Suhrs. They're just too perfect and seem to me to lack the character that comes from having to work around a limitation or two.
It's not that it has to be identical, a vintage re-issue Strat will be vastly different to a modern player for instance, it's more that it isn't even considered. Tonal and playing Nirvana might be on the rack right next to the Strat you really want to like because it "looks" like you want it to, but are struggling to buy because it doesn't play/sound the way it should in your head.
Tin arse!!

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Terexgeek wrote:
Ah the power of the brand and how it's marketed. As much as I hate marketing (being an engineer and all), I am constantly amazed at how brand marketing can make people buy things they don't need, or in this case choose a lesser product over another for no other reason than the brand "speaks to them". Marketing is pretty much lying to people so that they buy things.

I do get it though, both Gibson and Fender have such a legacy that pretty much all of us can relate one of our guitar heros to one or both brands. I might not give a shit that Eric Clapton is a Fender guy, but Billy Corgan wrote and recorded a lot of my favourite Smashing Pumpkins stuff on a Fender Strat, so somewhere tucked in the recesses of my mind is a "Fender is cool" association. Plus for some there is the idea that if they opened the case to their Fender Custom Shop Strat to show friends, even non-guitarists would know what they were looking at, instead of having to explain what a G&L or Suhr is.

I also find humans endlessly interesting, especially how easily we can be manipulated into making significant decisions in our lives based on little more than a convincing website, or a well-produced youtube vid that someone linked on facebook (especially as, as much as I'd like to be, I know I'm not immune to it).
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

compared to clothing, guitars just don't even register
nike, katmandu etc although dear enough pale into insignificance compared to the famous designer brands that are mostly made in the same factories using the same materials.
we walked past a shop with a sales rack out front the other day. wife was looking at this dress by trelise cooper
was $50 marked down from $750

Danger Mouse wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
Ah the power of the brand and how it's marketed.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
Ah the power of the brand and how it's marketed. As much as I hate marketing (being an engineer and all), I am constantly amazed at how brand marketing can make people buy things they don't need, or in this case choose a lesser product over another for no other reason than the brand "speaks to them". Marketing is pretty much lying to people so that they buy things.

I do get it though, both Gibson and Fender have such a legacy that pretty much all of us can relate one of our guitar heros to one or both brands. I might not give a shit that Eric Clapton is a Fender guy, but Billy Corgan wrote and recorded a lot of my favourite Smashing Pumpkins stuff on a Fender Strat, so somewhere tucked in the recesses of my mind is a "Fender is cool" association. Plus for some there is the idea that if they opened the case to their Fender Custom Shop Strat to show friends, even non-guitarists would know what they were looking at, instead of having to explain what a G&L or Suhr is.

I also find humans endlessly interesting, especially how easily we can be manipulated into making significant decisions in our lives based on little more than a convincing website, or a well-produced youtube vid that someone linked on facebook (especially as, as much as I'd like to be, I know I'm not immune to it).
Me too, I would be happy to find a Fender/Gibson/PRS that spoke to me at the right price at the right time, I would totally hit that and probably in preference to other brands too and at a slightly higher price point. Exactly your point on the black art of marketing!
Tin arse!!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Keef has fender on his headstock so yeah if I'm honest it's that shallow for me and many others I imagine!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Who wants to be connected to this leather clad fucktard? .
I seem to remember this Mark guy took every opportunity to make fun of Gibson during the chapter 11 episode. Funny how a paycheck changes everything.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

The obsession with one or two "traditional" or "historic" guitars, amplifier, heck even stomp boxes is something I really dont understand. To be fair,while rock and roll is still young....(and its not dead, it just smells funny) but technology has driven shorter change cycles, and therefore the slow evolution that made, say, a violin be a very fixed design concept might have happened in a much shorter time.
Regardless, the refusal by most guitarists to consider anything that is not a 50 year old design in guitars (and amps generally) is weird. The amount of stupid comments I endured during my time as a Steinberger player was unbelievable despite the instrument being a quantum leap above most in terms of functional design.
As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
The Israeli chap who builds the Les Paul copies comes to mind....So the Les Paul is a very succesful product - its sound has been well received by the market and its pretty - and people put up with it's design failures (weight, poor upper fret access, uncomfortable bridge etc). But the replicas are built as if there is some fundamental voodoo about the design...

Personaly I think its sad that Gibson get derided whenever they try something new...though I have to admit some of the ideas are pretty weird...Perhaps they should give me a job!
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Lawrence wrote:The obsession with one or two "traditional" or "historic" guitars, amplifier, heck even stomp boxes is something I really dont understand. To be fair,while rock and roll is still young....(and its not dead, it just smells funny) but technology has driven shorter change cycles, and therefore the slow evolution that made, say, a violin be a very fixed design concept might have happened in a much shorter time.
Regardless, the refusal by most guitarists to consider anything that is not a 50 year old design in guitars (and amps generally) is weird. The amount of stupid comments I endured during my time as a Steinberger player was unbelievable despite the instrument being a quantum leap above most in terms of functional design.
As a hobby guitar builder I noticed at gearfests that no one is interested in discussing the design decisions or in most cases even having a play on my builds...yet I bet if I built copies of Telecasters people would be enthused.
The Israeli chap who builds the Les Paul copies comes to mind....So the Les Paul is a very succesful product - its sound has been well received by the market and its pretty - and people put up with it's design failures (weight, poor upper fret access, uncomfortable bridge etc). But the replicas are built as if there is some fundamental voodoo about the design...

Personaly I think its sad that Gibson get derided whenever they try something new...though I have to admit some of the ideas are pretty weird...Perhaps they should give me a job!
Probably time I did a NGD thread on my Relish guitar. I'm sure you'd be interested Lawrence, it has some very interesting design features.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz