Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 1072 times

Re: Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

Post by NippleWrestler »

Time for KEH to do a video. He loves this stuff.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:53 am So this is interesting:

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/someb ... ue.482965/

Basically, a guy bought an Epiphone inspired by Gibson LP, in China, looked under the hood and it didn't look like mahogany and maple. He sent the guitar to a lab where they confirmed the woods used weren't as stated and were other timbers (canarium and birch). He then sued Gibson China. Epiphones website then added a clause that "specs may change" etc.

I wonder how far back this goes.
VERY far back. General consensus among Chinese guitarists is that Epi’s were never mahogany and probably not even nato.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Its not just the $1000 USD set of PAFs they just released :rofl:

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by Jay »

Clanger wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:06 pm As leader of the I Hate Richlite Club, it doesn't matter what colour/finish they are if they have that garbage on there.
Got intrigued by such a strong statement... so looked it up and got this
What Is Richlite?
Richlite is a composite material that, among other things, is often used in place of traditional tonewoods for guitar fretboards and bridges. Made from recycled paper and pulp harvested from sustainably farmed trees, Richlite produces a hardened, durable material that they claim to be superior to other materials, especially ebony.
So a bit like MDF then without the water absorption quality and stained black?

I believe it is no longer used so was it a marketing shocker?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by AiRdAd »

Jay wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:19 pm
Clanger wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:06 pm As leader of the I Hate Richlite Club, it doesn't matter what colour/finish they are if they have that garbage on there.
Got intrigued by such a strong statement... so looked it up and got this
What Is Richlite?
Richlite is a composite material that, among other things, is often used in place of traditional tonewoods for guitar fretboards and bridges. Made from recycled paper and pulp harvested from sustainably farmed trees, Richlite produces a hardened, durable material that they claim to be superior to other materials, especially ebony.
So a bit like MDF then without the water absorption quality and stained black?

I believe it is no longer used so was it a marketing shocker?
It was used when they had the importing exporting rosewood thing going on
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

I have owned Custom's with Richlite and Ebony. Nothing to see or hear of concern. Any issue with it is psychological, which is fine, but the tone argument is null.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:59 pm I have owned Custom's with Richlite and Ebony. Nothing to see or hear of concern. Any issue with it is psychological, which is fine, but the tone argument is null.
You're saying tone isn't psychological?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:08 pm
GrantB wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:59 pm I have owned Custom's with Richlite and Ebony. Nothing to see or hear of concern. Any issue with it is psychological, which is fine, but the tone argument is null.
You're saying tone isn't psychological?
No, it’s entirely psychological. I’m saying same ears, same brain, same soul will struggle to identify between those fingerboard variations.

The main issue is people cannot get over the fact it is not Ebony. And I’m acknowledging that it’s a real and reasonable position. However, tonally, there little basis for gnashing of teeth.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1635 times
Been liked: 1302 times

Post by Jay »

There goes the tonewood :wink:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2492 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:48 pm There goes the tonewood :wink:
But honestly, who ever bought a $15,000 electric guitar for the tone?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

Inspired by mahogany.

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 115 times

Post by goldtop0 »

Not a shocker as such more a slightly bemused observation.
Called in to the K'Rd Rockshop the other day and a saw a latest Gibson CS '59 ES 335, got a soft spot 335s, reasonable neck and weight and a good tobacco sunburst finish asking $13k.
Last one I saw there was the last of the Memphis guitars a '58 ri that was August '19 at $8k.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1108 times
Been liked: 1424 times

Post by robthemac »

goldtop0 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:07 am Not a shocker as such more a slightly bemused observation.
Called in to the K'Rd Rockshop the other day and a saw a latest Gibson CS '59 ES 335, got a soft spot 335s, reasonable neck and weight and a good tobacco sunburst finish asking $13k.
Last one I saw there was the last of the Memphis guitars a '58 ri that was August '19 at $8k.
Really makes you wonder who is buying new guitars.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7744 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:16 am
goldtop0 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:07 am Not a shocker as such more a slightly bemused observation.
I also wonder if the Rockshop and others have them on consignment, its expensive keeping stock like that which never moves, you see it in the bike industry where the importer still owns the bikes that are on the shop floor...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Litterick »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:27 am
robthemac wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:16 am
I also wonder if the Rockshop and others have them on consignment, its expensive keeping stock like that which never moves, you see it in the bike industry where the importer still owns the bikes that are on the shop floor...
Sale or return. In bookshops, business and IT books are displayed on the promise that the distributor will take them back when they become outdated.