Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by telefiend »

I think you'd term rock more of a subculture now than what you've just described.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

the irony, some decent guitarists/musos finding it a challenge to make money from their music while if you're lucky, with just one macbook you can buy heaps of your dream guitarS! evidence in this clip and plenty more on the tube

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Danger Mouse wrote:There is a whole subculture of music us old farts aren't even aware of.

Mates son, early 20s IT guy, flats with a couple of his work mates, they have everything set up to create electronic music, which they share among mates and in online communities. Doesn't get anywhere near Spotify as they are part of the generation that doesn't pay for anything, so also doesn't look to get paid for their creativity. They're not a band, they don't perform, just make and share music. Collectively they also have zero interest in anything as analogue as a guitar.

Perhaps it was this world Gibson thought they could get into with their purchase of Cakewalk, but as Gibson does, seems they fucked that up too.
like you say ,not a band, they don't perform just share. does that count as music, they have no training or knowledge of music then? you could argue there just playing around making noise which a small market of mates like.
are you going to get excited and line up for tickets to see them at Mt Smart,doesn't seem likely
it is like you say just a subculture,
plenty of guitars still on MTV latest channels so I stand by my not in our lifetime comment
not saying ever just not any time soon
synthesizers had a go in the 80s but you try and find a keyboardist for a local band now

Update, June 27: Fender CEO Andy Mooney told Quartz via email that Fender currently has under $100 million in debt, less than half the amount it had in 2012. “Sales of fretted instruments are in great shape and Fender’s electric guitar and amp revenues have been steadily rising for several years,” he said, adding that electric sales are holding steady, acoustic sales are on the rise, and “ukelele sales are exploding.”
Blame that ginger twat and James Blunt for the acoustic sales

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kwhelan »

KNNZ wrote:the irony, some decent guitarists/musos finding it a challenge to make money from their music while if you're lucky, with just one macbook you can buy heaps of your dream guitarS! evidence in this clip and plenty more on the tube

EDM festivals are huge and the sales are respectable too, not sure how much of its popularity is the drugs though,
You do hear cars booming it out at the lights so its obviously listened too during daylight hours.
the whole point of teenage rebellion is to find music your parents don't understand.
But listening to students music choices at the school I would say a band like kora or katchafire outranks EDM with youths still

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

You guys should go work for Gibson, you seem pretty in touch with things...

Oh yeah, ukuleles! That would be a pretty good little earner at the moment.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

kwhelan wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:There is a whole subculture of music us old farts aren't even aware of.

Mates son, early 20s IT guy, flats with a couple of his work mates, they have everything set up to create electronic music, which they share among mates and in online communities. Doesn't get anywhere near Spotify as they are part of the generation that doesn't pay for anything, so also doesn't look to get paid for their creativity. They're not a band, they don't perform, just make and share music. Collectively they also have zero interest in anything as analogue as a guitar.

Perhaps it was this world Gibson thought they could get into with their purchase of Cakewalk, but as Gibson does, seems they fucked that up too.
like you say ,not a band, they don't perform just share. does that count as music, they have no training or knowledge of music then? you could argue there just playing around making noise which a small market of mates like.
are you going to get excited and line up for tickets to see them at Mt Smart,doesn't seem likely
it is like you say just a subculture,
plenty of guitars still on MTV latest channels so I stand by my not in our lifetime comment
not saying ever just not any time soon
synthesizers had a go in the 80s but you try and find a keyboardist for a local band now
Ha easy up on the musical snobbery there, grandad... :lol:

Of course they are making music, if playing around making noise with no training or knowledge of music discounts them from being musicians, then you've also discounted about 80% of metal bands and probably 100% of punk bands, especially those bands that don't get any further than garage jams and small gigs playing to a bunch of mates.

It is a subculture as I say, but those guys used to be banging out power chords on Vester guitars and Peavey bandits, at least some of them would have progressed to a Gibson. Now some of those kids might decide to have a go at being be the next Skilled or whoever, but if they do they won't be dropping $6k on an R9 as part of their journey.

I agree that guitars will stick around a while yet, especially as metal just seems to be getting better and bigger every time I dip into what is going on in the scene now, but the market is clearly dying and if what my mates son is doing is an indication of where the yoof of today are taking underground musical expression, its only going to get worse.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

hope for the future: my son is a wicked player, 17 and fast as a motherfuquar, him and his mate jam in the garage, they have recorded 11 songs on a 4track tape machine. they have been selling the tapes ($10 a pop lol) and are totes awesome! like the black keys without vox and a bit faster and punkier.
there is hope!
he is playing through a Trace Elliot supertramp, another company looted by Gibson (I think) that sounds glorious
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

I don't quite understand this "there is hope because X is doing things like I used to do them" thing. You're writing off a lot of things out of hand with that sort of thinking. Music without a cranked Marshall involved is still music, and there's so much around now in every genre (including ones involving guitars) that there's really no reason to despair that your preferred one is going away. For example, as Danger Mouse said, metal is going from strength to strength.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kwhelan »

wasn't meaning to sound snobbery, but even punks had to learn a chord and string a few together not just tap a sample button on a beat. those youths you mention are not unlike what we were doing using amigas making mods back in the pre internet days when a 14.4k modem was the bomb.
there were plenty of people creating computer music and a huge subculture. think these things go on and off the boil a bit
I just see my grandies and what theyre listening to on radio and tv and you can still hear guitars in there, maybe not a lead instrument like say dire straits, hendrix but still in the rhythm section.
ala swift, perry,pink,plenty of indie and hipster music, war on drugs arcade fire imagine dragons etc, Plenty of reggae/dub , and especially all of donalds peoples music - the C word definitely need guitars
there doesn't seem to be a guitar god thats inspiring anyone to learn to play perhaps ant creating sales for gibson like say slash did but hopefully that will happen again

I'm guessing its instrument sales completely declining as opposed to just guitars, people are too busy, don't have the space to store or play gear but we still want to be entertained by musicians that we can see live

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kwhelan »

telefiend wrote:I don't quite understand this "there is hope because X is doing things like I used to do them" thing. You're writing off a lot of things out of hand with that sort of thinking. Music without a cranked Marshall involved is still music, and there's so much around now in every genre (including ones involving guitars) that there's really no reason to despair that your preferred one is going away. For example, as Danger Mouse said, metal is going from strength to strength.
agreed your mixing rock guitar based music with the original question of guitars dying out in music. Think theyre job in a background rhythm section in the majority of genres is pretty safe at present

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

kwhelan wrote:
telefiend wrote:I don't quite understand this "there is hope because X is doing things like I used to do them" thing. You're writing off a lot of things out of hand with that sort of thinking. Music without a cranked Marshall involved is still music, and there's so much around now in every genre (including ones involving guitars) that there's really no reason to despair that your preferred one is going away. For example, as Danger Mouse said, metal is going from strength to strength.
agreed your mixing rock guitar based music with the original question of guitars dying out in music. Think theyre job in a background rhythm section in the majority of genres is pretty safe at present
Oh totally, getting a little tangled here sorry. Guitar ain't going away, it's just not up front prominently like it used to be. It's another flavour to add in like any other instrument, and the big guitar companies are reacting quite slowly to this. They seem to expect to sell the same amounts that they did in the hey day, and that just isn't going to happen. Hence Gibson's problems (or at least partially anyway, they generally seem to be a poorly run company that was fortunate to have the popularity of their product to fall back on in the past)
Last edited by telefiend on Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

umm, I think you are jumping to conclusions there fellah. I make music with a variety of equipment, some home made, repaired and found. my electronic music was used at a performing arts exhibition in Melbourne last weekend. the 20 minute track had no guitar, no cranked marshall.
I`m happy because my son is using an actual guitar to make original music. I`m not closing the door on any stylistic endeavours he may choose.
to be honest, I don't really care about Gibson, they are just a marketing centric entity, piece work and unskilled labour adorn the most hallowed spaces in there historical workplace.
in my own original band, yes I have a cranked marshall, and I`m fucking proud of it
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

mrmofo wrote:
umm, I think you are jumping to conclusions there fellah. I make music with a variety of equipment, some home made, repaired and found. my electronic music was used at a performing arts exhibition in Melbourne last weekend. the 20 minute track had no guitar, no cranked marshall.
I`m happy because my son is using an actual guitar to make original music. I`m not closing the door on any stylistic endeavours he may choose.
to be honest, I don't really care about Gibson, they are just a marketing centric entity, piece work and unskilled labour adorn the most hallowed spaces in there historical workplace.
in my own original band, yes I have a cranked marshall, and I`m fucking proud of it
Fair enough :thumbup: Was just responding to your comment on the face of it.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

sweet as, I had my "Family" face on for a second there lol

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

mrmofo wrote:sweet as, I had my "Family" face on for a second there lol
:lol:

Yeah, re-read your comment and indeed I did jump to a conclusion that wasn't really there.

Anyway, Gibson is dumb.