Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Interesting. Strikes me that these bigger companies might be a bit bloated. If the market for guitars is shrinking, perhaps them shrinking too would be a good way to continue on.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Total sales are down because guitars are getting less popular. When I was a child grown men collected electric trains or stamps. Yet today there is almost no interest in trains and stamps. If you are into those things, you look out of step with the times. Guitars are going the same way. Our hobby will be an anachronism (conspicuously old fashioned).
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Terexgeek wrote:
werdna wrote:
Terexgeek wrote: I wonder how different it would have been if they had cultivated artist relations better (like PRS and Fender) and brought the changes through with artist support (like PRS with Mark Tremonti or Fender with the Ed O'Brien), rather than a general release like they did with Gibson's notoriously conservative buyers.
Take this example of Gibson's artist relations. In 1990 Slash went to Gibson and asked for three guitars to take on tour. This was four years after the release of Appetite, which was multi platinum, and GnR was on permanent rotation on MTV, with Slash playing a Les Paul in almost every take. Slash had been on the cover of every guitar magazine. At a time when everyone else was playing super strats, single handed Slash had reintroduced popularity of LPs. Slash was about to set out on one of the longest tours in history playing in front of millions of people. I read somewhere that Gibson asked Slash to pay for the guitars. They were three fairly unremarkable plain top standards, with three piece tops, in a bright orange stain. But even if they didn't ask him to pay for the guitars, you would think that they would give him better Les Pauls than those three.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Has anyone told norlin yet?
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

werdna wrote:Total sales are down because guitars are getting less popular. When I was a child grown men collected electric trains or stamps. Yet today there is almost no interest in trains and stamps. If you are into those things, you look out of step with the times. Guitars are going the same way. Our hobby will be an anachronism (conspicuously old fashioned).
Pretty much. Guitars are associated with the dinosaur rock of the 70s, cock rock of the 80s, angst grunge of the 90s, and douche rock-rap-metal of the 00s. None of this stuff is widely popular anymore. And fair enough - the world was saturated with guitar-based music for a long time.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

werdna wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
werdna wrote:
Take this example of Gibson's artist relations. In 1990 Slash went to Gibson and asked for three guitars to take on tour. This was four years after the release of Appetite, which was multi platinum, and GnR was on permanent rotation on MTV, with Slash playing a Les Paul in almost every take. Slash had been on the cover of every guitar magazine. At a time when everyone else was playing super strats, single handed Slash had reintroduced popularity of LPs. Slash was about to set out on one of the longest tours in history playing in front of millions of people. I read somewhere that Gibson asked Slash to pay for the guitars. They were three fairly unremarkable plain top standards, with three piece tops, in a bright orange stain. But even if they didn't ask him to pay for the guitars, you would think that they would give him better Les Pauls than those three.
Maybe they were grumpy about his Les Pauls being replicas?

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

telefiend wrote:
werdna wrote: Take this example of Gibson's artist relations. In 1990 Slash went to Gibson and asked for three guitars to take on tour. This was four years after the release of Appetite, which was multi platinum, and GnR was on permanent rotation on MTV, with Slash playing a Les Paul in almost every take. Slash had been on the cover of every guitar magazine. At a time when everyone else was playing super strats, single handed Slash had reintroduced popularity of LPs. Slash was about to set out on one of the longest tours in history playing in front of millions of people. I read somewhere that Gibson asked Slash to pay for the guitars. They were three fairly unremarkable plain top standards, with three piece tops, in a bright orange stain. But even if they didn't ask him to pay for the guitars, you would think that they would give him better Les Pauls than those three.
Maybe they were grumpy about his Les Pauls being replicas?
No, I think Gibson's artist relations has always been a bit shit. Les Paul approached them long before they accepted they needed a sold body instrument, they only accepted his suggestion once the telecaster made them look out of step. Even then the LP design was not Les's, it was an in house Gibson design. Of course they changed it later to the SG shape and called it the Les Paul but they didn't consult with Les and he hated it, so later it became the SG. They have always been arrogant and dismissive of artists compared to say PRS or even Fender.
Tin arse!!

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Gibson are idiots.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

They sure do make some nice guitars, though.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

telefiend wrote:
werdna wrote:Total sales are down because guitars are getting less popular. When I was a child grown men collected electric trains or stamps. Yet today there is almost no interest in trains and stamps. If you are into those things, you look out of step with the times. Guitars are going the same way. Our hobby will be an anachronism (conspicuously old fashioned).
Pretty much. Guitars are associated with the dinosaur rock of the 70s, cock rock of the 80s, angst grunge of the 90s, and douche rock-rap-metal of the 00s. None of this stuff is widely popular anymore. And fair enough - the world was saturated with guitar-based music for a long time.
don't think we'll see that in our lifetime, can't see keyboards being the main instrument. hard to have a band that doesn't include guitar yet. People said drummers would be replaced by machines but they havn't yet
apart from brass bands or orchestras hard to thing of band without a guitar
even rappers use samples of guitar in there rhythms
top 100 songs on spotify 2018 still got guitar somewhere as a rule

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

kwhelan wrote:
telefiend wrote:
don't think we'll see that in our lifetime, can't see keyboards being the main instrument. hard to have a band that doesn't include guitar yet. People said drummers would be replaced by machines but they havn't yet
You're kidding right?

Electronic instruments are very much the majority now - drums, synths, samples. In hip hop, rap, pop.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

telefiend wrote:
kwhelan wrote:
telefiend wrote:
You're kidding right?

Electronic instruments are very much the majority now - drums, synths, samples. In hip hop, rap, pop.
Yeah, but not in music. ;-)

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by telefiend »

Love me a good 808 beat

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

There is a whole subculture of music us old farts aren't even aware of.

Mates son, early 20s IT guy, flats with a couple of his work mates, they have everything set up to create electronic music, which they share among mates and in online communities. Doesn't get anywhere near Spotify as they are part of the generation that doesn't pay for anything, so also doesn't look to get paid for their creativity. They're not a band, they don't perform, just make and share music. Collectively they also have zero interest in anything as analogue as a guitar.

Perhaps it was this world Gibson thought they could get into with their purchase of Cakewalk, but as Gibson does, seems they fucked that up too.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.