Anyone know someone who can file frets down and set up?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jackangus
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Post by Jackangus »

Can anyone tell me someone who can do a good job filing my frets, i have some slight buzzing on the top strings?
In the Lower hutt, Upper hutt, Wellington region.
I've heard of Kenny Duncan, but would rather not go into the city and he has a waiting list of about 4 days. would like it done a bit quicker than that if possible.
And how would I contact them.

Cheers guys

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 257 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Don't know Kenny Duncan but if he has a waiting list, he must be worth waiting for.
On the other hand, four days isn't particularly long to wait. Maybe he's not that good...
Hmmmm

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Re: Anyone know someone who can file frets down and set up?

Post by Danger Mouse »

Capt. Black wrote:Don't know Kenny Duncan but if he has a waiting list, he must be worth waiting for.
On the other hand, four days isn't particularly long to wait. Maybe he's not that good...
Hmmmm
From what I have heard, the waiting times are more of a time management issue, however his work is (for the most part) good.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

Yeah, I jest. Whatever the case, fret work is never really a 'while-you-wait' kind of a job, is it.

Jackangus
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jackangus »

Yea I'm not really expecting the fret work to be done while I wait, but it would be nice to be given a day for the work to be done, then take it in that morning and pick it up just before closing time.
I think that's fair enough, surely.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2503 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Post by Molly »

Jackangus wrote:Yea I'm not really expecting the fret work to be done while I wait, but it would be nice to be given a day for the work to be done, then take it in that morning and pick it up just before closing time.
I think that's fair enough, surely.
So do I but these things never seem to work that way. If a job's going to take, say, three hours then why can't you just diary it with the guy? My experience with things like this is that you drop it off and it sits in the back of the workshop until a week after it's due. You then phone and they guy says he hasn't got to it yet. Two weeks later you collect it and it's a half-arsed job.... It's worse if you do it through a shop who add their own margin and drag their feet handling it.

Once took my guitar (my only guitar at the time so I didn't want to be without it for too long) to Jerry Bix (a recommended and, I thought, well regarded builder) for a brass nut. When I eventually got it back it was a rough-arse job, cost me more than I was expecting, and took forever. He was backed-up making wooden toys for the tourists. That tells you everything you need to know.

Jackangus
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jackangus »

I find that really annoying, and to me that does come down to time management. There is no reason whatsoever you cant get a day for the repair, or setup, or whatever then pick it up on that day,that's how most business is conducted most of the time.
The people who are doing this for a living know how long a setup or whatever is going to take, so 4 days is crazy. I was given the 4 day wait for a setup when I first got my guitar. So it probably sat there for 3 days and 22 hours, or more.
I would much rather they would tell me to bring the guitar in 3 weeks, they have a slot available and they do it on that particular day, at least I have my guitar to play on in the meantime.
Obviously there is times when the time frame doesn't matter as much, e.g. the guitar needs major repairs or is unplayable, but when its a basic setup, or a slight bit of fret buzz I would rather have it at home and be able to play it, rather than it sitting in some workshop.

I do understand there is a queue, but just give me a date to bring the guitar in and do it on the day,it cant be that hard.

That was a bit of a rant.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

It's the free market, while we keep dropping off our guitars for services we know will take a fortnight there's not much incentive for them to change :lol:

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

You actually spoken to the guy about this?

Jackangus
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jackangus »

Yes, they cant guarantee any specific time or date as they are so busy. Which makes no sense to me.
I won't say the persons name as I might just have to use him.
I've heard Kenny Duncan is really good, but I know he has waiting lists too and he is in the middle of Wellington, which I would prefer to stay clear off and get someone more local.

It sounds like they all probably have waiting lists and I will have to suck it up.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1231 times
Been liked: 1416 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

If you call Kenny he can arrange a day to do it. I have done that in the past. Drop off in morning pickup in afternoon. His work is good, (he did wire my pickups the wrong way around once but he was apologetic and offered to fix it the next day) His setups and refrets have been great in the past but he is not the cheapest.
"Revolt Against the Solid State"