New el cheapos x 2 Day

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 66 times

New el cheapos x 2 Day

Post by Rog »

I wanted a new acoustic and had a quite small budget ($650) to spend. I got one custom built for me in China, with my name on the headstock for $430. Since I had some $$ left over, I asked the guy if he had any Telecasters. He offered me a selection and I took one that I liked the look of (I was just going to get a Squier or something else el cheapo from TM, but couldn't see any that caught my fancy). They both arrived today (no customs duty etc) and I'm very pleased with what I got for $NZ682 all up. Certainly better than what I could have bought from TM. Only downside is he used a different font for my logo, but I can live with that.

The acoustic is a Taylor 916CE copy, but the only name to appear anywhere on it is mine, so its a copy in style only. It plays very well and they used a B-Band preamp, which has very good tonal range. Very low action, per my specs. Sounds good and full and perfect for my needs, although those of you who are real acoustic players would rate it lower, I'm sure.

The Tele was an utter surprise. I basically bought it on looks (y'all know I'm a sunburst fanboi) and cheapness. However, I expected it to have my name on the headstock as well, but I guess I didn't make that clear enough to the maker (even though I provided my logo copy for him), so its got a Fender logo, which is a shame, but if I ever sell it (no plans to do that), I will remove that from the headstock. It is a simply beautiful guitar to look at and play. The neck is a tad chunkier than my Strat, but not so chunky as to be a pain to play. Soundwise the neck pup is a tad quieter than the bridge and there's only a 3 way switch in it, so I'll mod that with a 4 way to get the series pups going. Otherwise it sound like a Tele. As usual, the sunburst didn't photograph well and it is really so much better than my photo of it.

Last edited by Rog on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Re: New el cheapos x 2 Day

Post by Slowy »

Given Musicians Friend advertise the Merle Haggard Tele for NZ $8561, I reckon you have a lot of leeway there Rog. The 914 knockoff looks damn fine too. Does it play well/sound good?

Oh and Happy DNGD! :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

WTF has happened to the world...rog has a blingy wood finish guitar, well not a guitar a tele
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Wow that Taylor copy looks great, Rog! Some of those Chinese guitar factories are making killer guitars.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bbrunskill wrote:Wow that Taylor copy looks great, Rog! Some of those Chinese guitar factories are making killer guitars.
They certainly look the part but is it a case of good from far but far from good?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Rog

Post by Rog »

I forgot to mention, the Merle Haggard Tele is the first neck-though Fender I've ever played. As far as comparing it to the real thing, I doubt I'll ever get the chance to compare, as I've never seen a real one around and at the price that slowie posted, I'm unlikely to. Like every guitar I've owned, I had to adjust the neck and action etc to suit my playing preferences.

Both guitars play very well. The 916 rings on forever, has excellent action and playability and has a good, full tone to my ears. The Tele plays beautifully and just like every other guitar we lot have, I'll probably have a pup swap at some time if I think it could be improved.

However, I'm not claiming that these cheapos are up to the real thing at all. All I'm saying is that they work for me, especially considering my budget. If I could have bought anything similar at a similar price from NZ, I would have, but since my income is feck all (NZ Super), I have no chance to spend big money. Hence my glasses are from Zennioptical, my guitars from China etc. I have to live within my means.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 838 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Good on ya man. I think they look fantastic. Got a shot of the back of that tele?
I'm sure changing out the pickups would be money well spent.
The Taylor craftsmenship appears to be amazing.
So did they come with cases or in polystyrene blocks?
Might get you to PM me the name of the builder if you don't mind?

Rog

Post by Rog »

I bought the 916 with a case and the Tele without. Both came in polystyrene blocks.

Here's the back:Image

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Wow, what great looking guitars! I love the "Tuff Dog Tele" logo, too.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

http://www.fender.com/custom-shop/serie ... -sunburst/

I like that the Chinese make their versions easily identifiable by giving them 3 colour sunbursts. It's not only considerate, it 's sure to make Rog happy.

But I just can't figure the economics. How is it possible to supply those guitars at that price?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3531 times
Been liked: 724 times

Post by Cdog »

Wowzers guitars there Rog... nice work!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
slowfingers wrote:But I just can't figure the economics. How is it possible to supply those guitars at that price?
That question scares me

Rog

Post by Rog »

slowfingers wrote:I like that the Chinese make their versions easily identifiable by giving them 3 colour sunbursts. It's not only considerate, it 's sure to make Rog happy.

But I just can't figure the economics. How is it possible to supply those guitars at that price?
LOL - and it does!! TBH, if it was only 2T burst, I wouldn't have bought it.

Remember its not just the guitars, but its also free shipping from China to my door factored in. Like you say - how the hell? Even if I bought the cheapest possible components in NZ and made it myself with no labour costs, I don't believe I could match their price and there's no way in any hell that I'd be able to match their finish. That said, I did beat them down on list price quite well. There's a whole lot of sellers with them, so its necessary to research and then play them off. Some etailers won't play that game, either, so you have to dig around.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 666 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Rog wrote:
slowfingers wrote:I like that the Chinese make their versions easily identifiable by giving them 3 colour sunbursts. It's not only considerate, it 's sure to make Rog happy.

LOL - and it does!! TBH, if it was only 2T burst, I wouldn't have bought it.

Remember its not just the guitars, but its also free shipping from China to my door factored in. Like you say - how the hell? Even if I bought the cheapest possible components in NZ and made it myself with no labour costs, I don't believe I could match their price and there's no way in any hell that I'd be able to match their finish. That said, I did beat them down on list price quite well. There's a whole lot of sellers with them, so its necessary to research and then play them off. Some etailers won't play that game, either, so you have to dig around.
I assume you used Ali Express or similar to find these etailers?

The guitar teacher I was getting lessons off in the UK a few years ago was looking into having his own line of guitars, he could source a decent pointy shred stick with an OFR, EMGs, Grover tuners, decent neck and finish, for £70. I was going to get one off him at cost price, because he wanted a few people to test them for quality, but I left the UK before he had sorted them out. At the time I thought it would have had to be a junk guitar with fake parts on it at that price, but seeing those two beauties, perhaps not...
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 389 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Danger Mouse wrote:At the time I thought it would have had to be a junk guitar with fake parts on it at that price, but seeing those two beauties, perhaps not...
Or perhaps it was and they've lifted their game over time?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Rog

Post by Rog »

Vince wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:At the time I thought it would have had to be a junk guitar with fake parts on it at that price, but seeing those two beauties, perhaps not...
Or perhaps it was and they've lifted their game over time?
I think you're right, Vince. Lets not forget how many big name guitars are made in China. They are excellent copyists, as were Korea and Japan before them. Maybe they've learned from making the real thing and branched out? I don't know, but its a possibility.