Martin Acoustics

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 376 times
Been liked: 130 times

Martin Acoustics

Post by vintage52 »

Hey all.

After some advice and opinions.

I currently play a Takamine TAN16C.

Played a Martin D28 on Sunday and I was quite taken aback at how easily playable it was and how wonderful the tones are.

Who has a Martin, what model, and what pushes your buttons about your Martin?

Cheers

V52
Wellington

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 867 times
Been liked: 742 times

Re: Martin Acoustics

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Tak guitars are great for gigging with, but not in the same league as the all solid wood Martins when it comes to unplugged playing and recording. I really like the 00, 000 and OM models for fingerstyle as I find they have a better, more even balance across all the frequencies, yet still warm and clear. They are all good though.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 838 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Surprised your tak isn't easy playn. Might just need a set up.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

I've had a D35 for a pretty long time now and really can't say enough about it. Sounds brilliant when mic'd for recording, sounds great when DI'd through the PA (Well. For a DI....Sorry Bender....). Plays beautifully. Nice big full low end, without being overpowering, which I find really essential when playing solo, and which hasn't been evident in a number of other acoustics I've played. Stays in tune. It has this funny intonation quirk where the low E string needs to be tuned just a fraction flat on the tuner, and then it's good to go :thumbup:
It's played well over 1000 gigs since I've had it, most of them between 3-4 hours. No complaints. Heading towards a refret in probably the next year I'd guess.
I've been fortunate to play some pretty awesome acoustics, but I'd take this D35 over them all.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Surprised your tak isn't easy playn. Might just need a set up.
This ^

The TAN16C is a great guitar and if it doesn't feel easy enough to play, it will just need a setup. You should be able to get that guitar playing beautifully.
olegmcnoleg wrote:Tak guitars are great for gigging with, but not in the same league as the all solid wood Martins when it comes to unplugged playing and recording.
Takamine guitars are built from start to finish to be gigging guitars. They are extremely robust, built to withstand the rigours of being a touring guitar. After having difficulties with some other very nice guitars that sounded amazing, but didn't deal well with the abuse I gave them 4-5 nights a week - I now gig with a Takamine P5NC (similar to the old TAN46C) and it is an absolute road warrior. That's probably why they are the choice of sooooo many big name touring acts.

They achieve this robustness though by being somewhat overbuilt - that leads to a certain degree of tonal compromise when put next to a tone monster like a D28. There's not a lot wrong with a D28 if you just want that classic american sound. They are wonderful guitars indeed! It won't take as much road abuse as a good Tak, but if you look after your guitars well, it's a lovely choice.

For me, the ultimate blend of tone, playability and robustness is with Taylor 500/600/700/800 series guitars. They tick all the boxes wonderfully.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1026 times
Been liked: 2513 times

Post by Slowy »

Spent all my school holiday pay when I was 15 on a Brazilian Rosewood D28. We had decades of adventures together. The D28 is still my benchmark acoustic against which all things are judged.

What's your playing style? 28's are powerful, full range instruments. If you're playing in a genuinely acoustic ensemble or solo, they're great but sound guys find them boomy compared to OM/000 styles which are probably better for fingerstyle playing anyway. That said, I've fingerpicked my life away on a D style and wouldn't have it any other way.

There's also some variation between the D28 models. For example, I sat down with a standard D28 and a HD28V and came away with the impression they would pair beautifully in a duo. The D28 was bright and cutting with lots of bass but a touch of midrange scoop. The HD28V was mellower and perfectly balanced across the range; it sounded older.

No two are exactly alike but 95% of them are excellent. Of the balance, 2% are disappointing and the rest are sublime.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by danmunners »

Martin guitars are my favourite acoustic. They capture the sound that I grew up listening to. I like the D28 as a strumming guitar. I do a lot of fingerstyle and I like the mellower sound of mahogany better than spruce. A Takamine was my workhorse for 10 years but my Martin OMC15e replaced it about 3 years ago.

Martins have a round woody thump to their string attack that I love. I like Taylors but they sound a bit too generic, pretty and twinkly for me. I like the Gibson tone but they're a bit more mid-scooped than the Martin to my ear and missing some of the string attack thump. Guild's to me are a bit of a middle-ground between the Gibson and the Martin. I like them all for different occasions but if I had to pick one acoustic guitar for the rest of my life it would definitely be a Martin.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

danmunners wrote: I like Taylors but they sound a bit too generic, pretty and twinkly for me. I like the Gibson tone but they're a bit more mid-scooped than the Martin to my ear and missing some of the string attack thump.
I completely agree with your thoughts on Taylors, and completely disagree with your thoughts on Martin VS Gibson!

I guess it depends on which models you're talking about, I've always thought of the Martin D sound as very big, warm bass, lots of bright shimmer on top and less mids in the middle.

Where as a J45 to me has less bass and shimmer, and a lot more midrange POW.

Taylors just seem to have eons of bright gorgeous jangle, which fits well in a band, but kind of stinks for solo. I'm yet to find one that I really truly love.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bbrunskill wrote: I've always thought of the Martin D sound as very big, warm bass, lots of bright shimmer on top and less mids in the middle.

Yep; that's what my ears hear as well.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

danmunners
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by danmunners »

bbrunskill wrote:I completely agree with your thoughts on Taylors, and completely disagree with your thoughts on Martin VS Gibson!

I guess it depends on which models you're talking about, I've always thought of the Martin D sound as very big, warm bass, lots of bright shimmer on top and less mids in the middle.

No you're definitely right. I meant to say that the Gibson is more mid heavy than the Martin, not mid scooped.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

It's kinda silly to make sweeping comments on the tone of an ENTIRE brand of guitars. Tonal comparisons need to be made model to model.

You can compare build method/quality by entire brands as all models in any given brand tend to be built on the same machinery with the same techniques.

Yes, these building techniques affect the tone somewhat, but there are SO many other significant factors in the tone of an acoustic guitar, that generalising by brand becomes near impossible.

Statements like "Gibsons have more mids than Martins" or "Taylors are too generic & sparkly" are basically pointless because each can be proven wrong using various models.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

handsoffmatt wrote: Statements like "Gibsons have more mids than Martins" or "Taylors are too generic & sparkly" are basically pointless because each can be proven wrong using various models.
But how else are we supposed to reinforce our prejudices?

Of course you're right but I've always felt a distinct difference between the character of Martin and Gibson acoustics. And I've heard some Martins that sound a bit 'Gibsony' but with the exception of an old Rosewood Dove, I've never heard a Gibson that sounded like a Martin.

YMMV of course. :D

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Slowy wrote:
handsoffmatt wrote: Statements like "Gibsons have more mids than Martins" or "Taylors are too generic & sparkly" are basically pointless because each can be proven wrong using various models.
But how else are we supposed to reinforce our prejudices?
By voting Trump of course. (We do get to vote too don't we?)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

OM28JM.jpeg
With reference to the 5% of Martins that aren't merely excellent, here's a 3 percenter. This OM28JM is not only the best small bodied Martin I've ever met, it's one of the two best guitars I've ever played. It's only about 5 years old and I can't imagine what it will be like in 40 years. Someone is in for a treat. (Probably the owner's son)

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 210 times
Been liked: 663 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

handsoffmatt wrote:
Statements like "Gibsons have more mids than Martins" or "Taylors are too generic & sparkly" are basically pointless because each can be proven wrong using various models.
You're completely right, but in my defense, in my brain I was thinking Martin D28 or D35, OM28, Gibson J45 / Southern Jumbo, Taylor 4/5/6/7/810, I.E. the icons from each brand.