Kenny Duncan Guitars?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Kenny Duncan Guitars?

Post by Reg18 »

Anyone had dealings with him? He is a guitar repairer in Wellington.
I've been talking with him about ordering Bigsby/Vibramate parts and am finding he's either just a straight shooter or might be hard to deal with.....I'm not sure which one yet.
Was hoping to get a reccomendation before I go ordering off his site.

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 656 times
Been liked: 561 times

Re: Kenny Duncan Guitars?

Post by TmcB »

Ha! He is both of those things as far as anecdotal evidence around these parts goes.
Some have great dealings, I've heard some real anus-puckering horror stories though
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I think he's awesome. Other people disagree. Seems to be whether he likes you or not? His work is very good, at any rate.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

I get the feeling he likes people without tight budgets who just order the top of the line stuff and just take his reccomendation......I have very little budget and research extensively before parting with my hard earned cash, I get the feeling he doesn't have time for the later!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1360 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

Eh...I screwed my Bigsby straight onto my 345 as thing wasn't invented then. And it comes with the plaque. Dayum.

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/vibramate- ... g-kit.html
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Do a search, we've covered this a bunch of times in the past. If you're buying parts off him I guess it can't be that bad. In general, I'm not a fan.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I'm sorry all I could think of when I read this title was:
kennyeverett.jpg
kennyeverett.jpg (6.74 KiB) Viewed 5012 times

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

slash-ed wrote:Do a search, we've covered this a bunch of times in the past. If you're buying parts off him I guess it can't be that bad. In general, I'm not a fan.
Sorry for covering past ground guys, I must have missed it. I think I'll spend my money elsewhere, Seems like he might be hard to deal with and if something goes wrong those type of people suddenly stop answering emails etc so I'm guessing this could be the case.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1634 times
Been liked: 1300 times

Post by Jay »

Yip.

I have bought many a time from Iain and super helpful, replaced parts that got lost at no extra charge (only to turn up at his store weeks later). I only use tracked parcels now.

If you ordering $400 or more you get 5% off. Just bought a Bigsby B3 and other gear from him and got here in 4 days. (it's from Aus now).
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Sanctuary »

So this guy took $2300 off a mate, to add a (gold hardware) Kahler to his guitar. Now if you actually know what you're doing, you should realise that if a guitar has any sort of neck angle you can potentially NOT have to route the said guitar for the Kahler - and there are stud-mounted Kahler kits if your guitar has a TOM (which his has). So this fucker routes the guitar out then finds he fucked up and convinces my mate he needs a new trem. Charges him 10 hours labour for the "drama" of fucking up the guitar (I kid you not). Go Stetsbar (my friend specifically asked for a Kahler) says Duncan and orders one before he's even told him he fucked the guitar up. Then CHARGES him to try one of his guitars out to see if he likes the tremolo system (WTF?). Since when do you charge musicians to use equipment whilst you have their guitar? Anyway my mate gets sick of the progress and asks for the thing back. He DEMANDS more money to release it! Gets his Iceman back with a swimming-pool sized hole in it. Not only that the Stetsbar trem is a used one that has been gold-plated (and they sell them gold!).

BE-FUCKING-WARE. This guy sounds like a total arsehole, has turned the guitar into a useless hunk of wood and has the nerve to charge for all the "drama" because he doesn't know what the fuck he is doing. I seriously think the guy is on drugs.
A play on words, or words on play
Last chapter, verse in the final act
Words well scripted, each sentence choking
Inaudible gag, blanket which suffocates
As you eat another's words
Malnourished, you starve.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 698 times

Post by AiRdAd »

That sounds terrible!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

xCaptainx
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by xCaptainx »

I went in once out of curiosity while on tour. I wouldn't call the interaction we had a 'conversation' as such, as I was literally bombarded with credentials, name dropping and the most grandiose posturing I've ever experienced. It was incredibly painful and made for an extremely frustrating interaction. I couldn't get a word in and it felt less like a genuine interaction between two people and simply an ability for him to stroke his ego and write off everyone in the NZ guitar industry.

Furthermore, he heard me OUTSIDE saying I needed to pop into the rockshop to get a cheap patch lead and ran downstairs to try and sell me his expensive offerings. He didn't really seem to grasp nor care for my polite refusal. I had custom freedom cables at home, lifetime guarantee and built to order. I had simply forgot to put it in my pedalboard case that specific week, and needed the cheapest solution for one gig.

15min interaction but it made me decide never to want to interact with him again on a professional or personal level.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

All I'm seeing in my head after reading this thread is:

Sanctuary
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Sanctuary »

I forgot to say the guitar was returned with the TOM bridge back on. We know the Stetsbar was a used item based on the age of the box it was supplied in and the fact that the bearing is burred (it will not return to neutral position due to that and the plating - amateur hour!). The manufacturer has also confirmed this by the description. To add insult to injury he charged him for re-soldering the earth wire, a setup and new set of strings (even though these were supplied in the case!). WTF?

My mate deserves a new guitar, a refund for the services rendered or at the minimum he should re-top that Iceman because at the moment no one would touch that thing no matter how nice it plays. To charge you up-front and then only give it back (butchered) after demanding more money, the guy is a C-word. I've advised him to go to the Disputes Tribunal at the minimum if not Fair Go...
A play on words, or words on play
Last chapter, verse in the final act
Words well scripted, each sentence choking
Inaudible gag, blanket which suffocates
As you eat another's words
Malnourished, you starve.