Show us your Telecasters

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Show us your Telecasters

Post by null_pointer »

Well I'm happy with my two Teles (even though only one is made by Fender). Not sure what the analysis of materials has to do with devaluing a guitars' usefulness or price? Breaking anything down to components means you're overpaying for practically everything, aren't you? That pair of jeans? Jewellery? And what about that house!

Teles are great guitars that just feel better than others playing certain types of stuff. And as much as I don't like Lesters, they excel at a swathe of rock I'm partial to at times moreso than Teles. So horses for courses. I'm yet to see for example the vast majority of country players rush out to buy a PRS.

I know we all are led by perceived value, but for the upper tier of players if Teles are just two planks of wood bolted together by 4 bits of chromed steel, mind pointing out to me all these successful players with Squiers? Ok, how about Mexican Teles? And I'm not referring to endorsed guys who have to play said instrument, just those who have to rely on them day in day out.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

So maybe the breakdown is this - the materials cost doesn't actually vary much guitar to guitar, and even the hollows etc are machined these days (so there's a reclaimed capital cost built in there). But the intangibles - our feeling towards what we buy, etc - make all the difference to us in the end.
Shallow? Of course, here we are on a forum goading each other into a constant upgrade whirlwind! The 'practice and play more' threads are outnumbered 100 to 1 by NGD NAD FS/FT despite the fact they would impact our 'toan' the most. But like y'all I'm here for enjoyment, passion and the intangibles from guitars, and seemingly I'm willing to pay for that over the odds (as are most of us).

Buy another guitar (post $2k) - you'll feel better in no time!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1362 times
Been liked: 2100 times

Post by GrantB »

null_pointer wrote:So maybe the breakdown is this - the materials cost doesn't actually vary much guitar to guitar, and even the hollows etc are machined these days (so there's a reclaimed capital cost built in there). But the intangibles - our feeling towards what we buy, etc - make all the difference to us in the end.
Shallow? Of course, here we are on a forum goading each other into a constant upgrade whirlwind! The 'practice and play more' threads are outnumbered 100 to 1 by NGD NAD FS/FT despite the fact they would impact our 'toan' the most. But like y'all I'm here for enjoyment, passion and the intangibles from guitars, and seemingly I'm willing to pay for that over the odds (as are most of us).

It's like this for me...I like particular things like old (style) Gibson electrics. Yes, they are not cheap, and I realise some of the attraction is intangible, but I am happy to pay. As per my comment in the TM thread, I would never subjectively judge the playability or tone of another instrument because it wasn't one of my "preferred styles". I think that mentality is about as silly as it gets...too much over thinking and blind reasoning. That kind of thing used to be prevalent on forums but I don't see it so much these days.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

Yep. All my 'I don't likes' towards other brands (Ibanez, G&L, Gibby) have nothing to do with what they are capable of tone-wise, its down to how I feel with them in my hands. Which is as subjective as it gets. 'I feel' has no basis in anything other than our heads, and when we try and use that as the grounding for an argument against someone else I wonder that we can't see how ridiculous we are being.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2265 times
Been liked: 3910 times

Post by Bg »

null_pointer wrote:So maybe the breakdown is this - the materials cost doesn't actually vary much guitar to guitar, and even the hollows etc are machined these days (so there's a reclaimed capital cost built in there). But the intangibles - our feeling towards what we buy, etc - make all the difference to us in the end.

No, I'm far too tight - I'll just make another :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

There's a 52 AV thin skin telecaster on TM for $2750.00. Looks great.
https://trademe.co.nz/1213754926
https://trademe.co.nz/1216878275
Also a nice Tundratone
I've heard Kelly play it live. Sounds very vintage.

sakuarius102
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 10 times

Post by sakuarius102 »

vintage52 wrote:If you cast your mind back to a time when you were a guitar noob....

GrantB wrote:Image
I see that tele strange, but is great man !!

>Regards

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2489 times
Been liked: 2800 times

Post by Molly »

GrantB wrote:Image
That's rather cool. :thumbup:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
MrDINO wrote:That Fender cabronita on TM looks a bit out there but I bet it sounds great....maybe
Sorry. $5k for a new Tele is nothing more than urine extraction. Even with a no expenses spared build, you could do 3 for that.
I balk at the thought of a $2k tele.... its just two bits of wood ffs
$5k? That's nuffin. The Wildwood 10 I just sold (yes, it's gone) started out around $7,500.

I know the seller of the '52 if anybody wants to enquire about it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Leo is turning in his grave!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

jeremyb wrote:Leo is turning in his grave!!!
Well, there's always this one which comes with a healthy NZG discount:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1229554705

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
MrDINO wrote:That Fender cabronita on TM looks a bit out there but I bet it sounds great....maybe
Sorry. $5k for a new Tele is nothing more than urine extraction. Even with a no expenses spared build, you could do 3 for that.
I balk at the thought of a $2k tele.... its just two bits of wood ffs
I will give you two bits of wood for a third of that....

Sit Down JB.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7746 times
Been liked: 4187 times

Post by jeremyb »

Aroused.

To be fair though, any guitar over $2k is a waste of money.... it's just fancy schmantz extras...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Molly wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Leo is turning in his grave!!!
Well, there's always this one which comes with a healthy NZG discount:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1229554705
Don't need a Strat in trade per-chance do you?
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by null_pointer »

jeremyb wrote:Aroused.

To be fair though, any guitar over $2k is a waste of money.... it's just fancy schmantz extras...
That's what I told Rory Gallagher's estate about his Strat - I mean the damn thing is practically melted too, but they still wanted $150k...

:P