And so it continues.....

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Re: And so it continues.....

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I like the 57 classics too. Lollar imperials are truly excellent, if you are feeling flush. The SD P-rails setup might be a good fit for you, then you can have good basic P90 tone, but also switch them to full humbuckers or just to stratty-style single coils. They are very versatile, but the basic P90 tone is still excellent. But it is a semi, so wiring them up might be a mission.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Congrats on the NGD Slowy. I know this guitar well - I was the one that purchased it for the company and had serious thoughts myself of purchasing it.
I was amazed it didn't sell at $2,699 as it was worth every penny. At the price you got it for - it's damn near criminal!

I've having naughty thoughts about it's sister guitar...

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guitars/ ... uitar.html
The last time I played this one, it needed a good setup - but I think it'll come up lovely!
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2481 times

Post by Slowy »

Conway wrote:
Slowy wrote:Not in a hurry but I suspect the pickups aren't long for this guitar. They're powerful, but seem to lack much in the way of character. This thing is going to spend its time doing single notes or double stops plucked with bare fingers and I'm hoping for a more vocal quality than is currently present.

If that makes sense and you have a pup suggestion, I'm all ears. :D
Something single coil like a Fender Strat. :moresarc:
I LOL'd.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

handsoffmatt wrote:Congrats on the NGD Slowy. I know this guitar well - I was the one that purchased it for the company and had serious thoughts myself of purchasing it.
I was amazed it didn't sell at $2,699 as it was worth every penny. At the price you got it for - it's damn near criminal!

I've having naughty thoughts about it's sister guitar...

http://www.rockshop.co.nz/shop/guitars/ ... uitar.html
The last time I played this one, it needed a good setup - but I think it'll come up lovely!
I wondered if it was your legacy, Matt :D Couldn't swing for the Bootleg unfortunately.
Also thought about the mahogany one but "Jazz" pickups put me off a bit and this one was already talking to me.

While we're on the subject, the pickups are OK but not lighting any fires. For fingerpicked lead lines with a current Knopflerish sound, would you have any recommendations?

In all other respects, It's a beautiful guitar. :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

twangnsnarl wrote:
Slowy wrote:Spent 3 hours with the....erm, Aria tonight getting a feel for it. I'm definitely a 335 size guy, it's so much more comfortable than a 339 or Les Paul. Getting used to humbuckers is a definite process. I found the tones I liked best from subtle tweaks of the volume knobs.

Not in a hurry but I suspect the pickups aren't long for this guitar. They're powerful, but seem to lack much in the way of character. This thing is going to spend its time doing single notes or double stops plucked with bare fingers and I'm hoping for a more vocal quality than is currently present.

If that makes sense and you have a pup suggestion, I'm all ears. :D
:wave:
Snarly, haven't forgotten you. Do yours have covers?
I'm asking everyone because if you want to swap humbuckers, there's no better guitar to use than a 335 style. :roll: :crazy:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote:I like the 57 classics too. Lollar imperials are truly excellent, if you are feeling flush. The SD P-rails setup might be a good fit for you, then you can have good basic P90 tone, but also switch them to full humbuckers or just to stratty-style single coils. They are very versatile, but the basic P90 tone is still excellent. But it is a semi, so wiring them up might be a mission.
Lollar Imperials are my default choice, but I really don't know anything about humbuckers at all.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1633 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Happy to help you soldering and change a pickup if you wish. I should have some spare connectors so if you intend to change pickups a lot, then having a connector on at least one end is a bit easier
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 597 times

Post by Starfire »

Slowy wrote:
:wave:
Snarly, haven't forgotten you. Do yours have covers?
I'm asking everyone because if you want to swap humbuckers, there's no better guitar to use than a 335 style. :roll: :crazy:[/quote]

They do have covers, yes.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

If you are going to swap pickups, take the time to wire flying leads from the pots with connectors on them so that you don't have to remove the pots from the guitar every time. Count on it taking a few attempts to find the right ones. My big Gretsch has some 3-pin ones (they were standard on Gretsches at the time) that make swapping pickups a hell of a lot less annoying.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

I can't recommend the Dimarzio 36th anniversary set enough. Clear and snappy cleans, they really sing with low-medium gain too. I'd love to try some Imperials, but it's hard to justify the price when I know how good these sound already. My SG will be getting a set at some stage I'd say.
Loving it so far

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

StratMatt88 wrote:I can't recommend the Dimarzio 36th anniversary set enough. Clear and snappy cleans, they really sing with low-medium gain too. I'd love to try some Imperials, but it's hard to justify the price when I know how good these sound already. My SG will be getting a set at some stage I'd say.
These seem to be fairly universally loved.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

The one I had in the bridge of my Edwards was great, low gain pickups rule :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Slowy wrote: While we're on the subject, the pickups are OK but not lighting any fires. For fingerpicked lead lines with a current Knopflerish sound, would you have any recommendations?

DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary really are wonderful pickups indeed. Pickup recommendation would depend on the amp though.

What's your main amp / OD pedal setup Slowy?
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

handsoffmatt wrote:
Slowy wrote: While we're on the subject, the pickups are OK but not lighting any fires. For fingerpicked lead lines with a current Knopflerish sound, would you have any recommendations?

DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary really are wonderful pickups indeed. Pickup recommendation would depend on the amp though.

Last time I saw his setup - it was a trple rec with two 4x12 cabinets!!! :twisted:
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

AiRdAd wrote:
handsoffmatt wrote:

Last time I saw his setup - it was a trple rec with two 4x12 cabinets!!! :twisted:
Totes dude, Slowy is one metal-ass mutha-fukka! Couldn't get through his front door without tripping over emgs and being stabbed by pointy guitars...