And so it continues.....

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: And so it continues.....

Post by Slowy »

handsoffmatt wrote:
Slowy wrote: While we're on the subject, the pickups are OK but not lighting any fires. For fingerpicked lead lines with a current Knopflerish sound, would you have any recommendations?

In all other respects, It's a beautiful guitar. :thumbup:
DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary really are wonderful pickups indeed. Pickup recommendation would depend on the amp though.

What's your main amp / OD pedal setup Slowy?
1960's 12 watt Jansen, 2x EL84 into a Celestion Blue. OD from a J Rockett Archer Gold.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

HackSaw wrote:Couldn't get through his front door without tripping over emgs and being stabbed by pointy guitars...
That was the cat. He's protective.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

HackSaw wrote:
Totes dude, Slowy is one metal-ass mutha-fukka! Couldn't get through his front door without tripping over emgs and being stabbed by pointy guitars...
I hope he wasn't wearing the faux leopard skin spandex leotard, that's enough to make anyone fall over.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

While we're talking about pickup choices, this was on the Seymour Duncan FB page:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
HackSaw wrote:
Totes dude, Slowy is one metal-ass mutha-fukka! Couldn't get through his front door without tripping over emgs and being stabbed by pointy guitars...
I hope he wasn't wearing the faux leopard skin spandex leotard, that's enough to make anyone fall over.
I save that for you alone.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
HackSaw wrote:
I save that for you alone.
So honoured :-)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Unless you are an exclusive single coil player, you probably don't realise what a culture shock Humbuckers can be; established playing habits may no longer work. The Arias are like having Kim Dotcom land in your lounge, "Ja, ve can be versatile. You can start vis huge & fat unt progress to huge, fat & distorted."

After about 12 hours of playing (That's why we need new guitars!) I've revised my opinion of them. In their own way, they're not bad at all, but all they want to do is rock. There's no air around them. So hopefully the solution is soon to be in the mail. Seth Lovers heading this way!

Played a new 335 today. Definitely a sweeter and more refined sound unplugged, and more throatiness and character to the pickups but 4 times the price of mine? Not to mention the toothpick the frets were attached to.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I have to say the opposite, with me playing around with the tele lately, I've recommissioned my strat, I'm so shocked how whimpy single coils are. I have a decent set of vintage tallboys in my strat but they're so fucking noisy, they're going. back to a rails in the bridge and a couple of noiseless in the mid and neck. The tele already has noiseless so happy with that.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote:I have to say the opposite, with me playing around with the tele lately, I've recommissioned my strat, I'm so shocked how whimpy single coils are. I have a decent set of vintage tallboys in my strat but they're so fucking noisy, they're going. back to a rails in the bridge and a couple of noiseless in the mid and neck. The tele already has noiseless so happy with that.
Which noiseless ones have you got in your Tele?

Sorry to hijack the thread Slowly...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:I have to say the opposite, with me playing around with the tele lately, I've recommissioned my strat, I'm so shocked how whimpy single coils are. I have a decent set of vintage tallboys in my strat but they're so fucking noisy, they're going. back to a rails in the bridge and a couple of noiseless in the mid and neck. The tele already has noiseless so happy with that.
Exactly my point. My singles now feel whimpy but I have developed a playing style that compensates for it. Applying those techniques to hot humbuckers results in sonic sludge.
codedog wrote: Sorry to hijack the thread Slowly...
Hijack away, my son. :D

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

codedog wrote:
Which noiseless ones have you got in your Tele?

Sorry to hijack the thread Slowly...
seymour duncans, slowy would be the best to comment on them as to whether they sound tele still or not. I thought they sounded pretty favourable in comparison to the lollars he has, but they weren't competing on an even playing field. And they don't make noise.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

BG's Duncans are very good in the same way the Lollars are: Big sounding and Tele-ish without stabbing you in the ear.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Slowy! Something to go with your new toy? http://www.trademe.co.nz/1207287661

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Do this with the Aria:
http://nzguitars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32040

No better guitar to do it with than a 335 type- rewiring them is a biartch.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
Exactly my point. My singles now feel whimpy but I have developed a playing style that compensates for it. Applying those techniques to hot humbuckers results in sonic sludge.
codedog wrote: Sorry to hijack the thread Slowly...
Hijack away, my son. :D
Strats don't sound thin per se. But some Strats through some amps with some players can do. That EJ in my AVRI through the Mini Rec / Z cab is as meaty as fuck. The received wisdom that a Tele is a thin sounding guitar is also bollocks. Technique plays a big part. Single coils rule!