And so it continues.....

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2263 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Re: And so it continues.....

Post by Bg »

more like bollocks to technique and more to do with eq and thickening the thin weedy pickups up that way ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Naaaa. Just hit it harder! ;-)

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

Molly wrote:Naaaa. Just hit it harder! ;-)
Naaaaaaaaa
Just turn the amp up louder.

I didn't like my Jaguar much (too thin sounding) then one day I cranked the amp and wow! what a difference - the cat growled :thumbup:
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

H671 wrote:
Molly wrote:Naaaa. Just hit it harder! ;-)
Naaaaaaaaa
Just turn the amp up louder.

I didn't like my Jaguar much (too thin sounding) then one day I cranked the amp and wow! what a difference - the cat growled :thumbup:
Amp up, tone control down on guitar. Fun times.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 597 times

Post by Starfire »

Molly wrote:
Strats don't sound thin per se. But some Strats through some amps with some players can do. That EJ in my AVRI through the Mini Rec / Z cab is as meaty as fuck. The received wisdom that a Tele is a thin sounding guitar is also bollocks. Technique plays a big part. Single coils rule!
Similar deal with filtertrons. I hate all the youtube demos that only depict them as bright and twangy. They're superb at that but if you roll the tone back you can get this wonderful dark growl that somehow still cuts through, remains clear. Probably the most versatile pickups, I reckon.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I have to say though that Dave Gilmours tone is nice and thick, and he uses pretty much bog standard pickups and no effects to speak of....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:I have to say though that Dave Gilmours tone is nice and thick, and he uses pretty much bog standard pickups and no effects to speak of....
Irrelevant. He plays really, really really loud.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Slowy wrote:
Bg wrote:I have to say though that Dave Gilmours tone is nice and thick, and he uses pretty much bog standard pickups and no effects to speak of....

Plus his pickups aren't standard and he uses a shit-ton of effects, but I assume that was the joke :D

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

sirvill wrote:
Slowy wrote:

Plus his pickups aren't standard and he uses a shit-ton of effects, but I assume that was the joke :D
that was my straight face of course... Gilmour and no effects? hahahaha.... at least he plays into a nice clean amp, or two.

Anyway, spent the last 20 mins swapping pickups in. The strat now has a kent armstrong hot rails in the bridge and fender scn's in neck and middle. Now I can thicken it up without cringing constantly at the annoying hum. I'm not OCD about much but noisy pickups? Meh you can keep the buggers.

When I made the original ratty strat, I put custom shop 54's in there. Too noisy, so I wired in a dummy coil in series with them. Worked a treat :D

I wouldn't care if I didn't like turning up the volume lots. And the gain.

I can play the strat again at least ;) Especially as the neck is an absolute killer :D

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

All the talk of the wonderful noiseless single coils is seriously aggravating my gas for a Tele...

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Slowy wrote:
handsoffmatt wrote:
Slowy wrote: While we're on the subject, the pickups are OK but not lighting any fires. For fingerpicked lead lines with a current Knopflerish sound, would you have any recommendations?

In all other respects, It's a beautiful guitar. :thumbup:
DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary really are wonderful pickups indeed. Pickup recommendation would depend on the amp though.

What's your main amp / OD pedal setup Slowy?
1960's 12 watt Jansen, 2x EL84 into a Celestion Blue. OD from a J Rockett Archer Gold.
Well then, I think the Dim 36ths would be an awesome match. However I see you already have a set of Seth Lovers coming, which are equally awesome.
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

I take it that last part about the effects is just a troll???

:lol:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

so was the 'bog standard pickups' part ;)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote:so was the 'bog standard pickups' part ;)
Dunno about that... I dare say his bog is probably bloody fancy by our standard...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

handsoffmatt wrote: Well then, I think the Dim 36ths would be an awesome match. However I see you already have a set of Seth Lovers coming, which are equally awesome.
Thanks Matt. Snarly was threatening violence. And I'm going to install plugs so they can be swapped easily. The 36ths will have their day!
My Strat is still wearing the DiMarzios you recommended; loves them.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.