I'm an idiot, how do I fix this? *All fixed now!*

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 25 times

I'm an idiot, how do I fix this? *All fixed now!*

Post by Glacial Pace »

Ok, I don't think I've messed up too bad but what the best way to polish an ebony fret board?
My new ESP came pretty dirty and I thought I'd give it a good clean, I used a green scouring pad with a tiny bit of soap on the fret board and the frets. They look much better cleaned, the frets had some oxidizing on them which I got off too, I then oiled it and it looked good. However, now that the oil has soaked in I can see that I have left a bunch of tiny little scratches in the surface of the ebony. It looks fine from any distance, and doesn't affect the playability at all but I'd like it to be back to where it should be, more of a gloss than a matt finish. What do I do? Super fine emery paper? Some sort of polish?
Last edited by Glacial Pace on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Re: I'm an idiot, how do I fix this?

Post by GrantB »

If you use ultra fine steel wool, make sure you tape off the pickups...you don't want those little steel hairs getting into the coils and causing problems.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Glacial Pace »

And go with the grain? I went across the way with the green pad which i think was silly.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2264 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

yes with the grain, I'd use a synthetic though, like this https://www.bunnings.co.nz/norton-wool- ... _p00274394 and then the 0000 version. way safer for your guitar, and saves taping up ;) if you've just used a green pad, it should come out pretty easily.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Glacial Pace »

Yeah, just a green pad. Can I also use that stuff to polish the frets? If so I guess I sort out the finger board, then cover out in masking tape and then do the frets.

I've got a few other questions about cleaning this guitar up, I'll post pics this evening and see if yous fellas can help me out.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I'd just rub it up and down the entire length (oh-err) it not going to harm the frets and will give them a polish. Good thing about it is that you're not going to get steel wool bits under your frets either.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Glacial Pace »

Thanks guys, I'm down to Dunners this weekend so I'll pop in and get some of that stuff. Here is a pic of the scratches I put in it :grump:

Also, Any ideas on what the best way to get this looking white again? I think its just been used a lot and some dye from the previous owners t shirt has rubbed off on the corners, if its there for good that's fine but any tips?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Try some lighter fluid, naphtha, if that doesn't move it you may need to try some swirl remover, car polish stuff

mttn3
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by mttn3 »

The slight scuffing doesn't stop it being a super nice guitar though.

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Glacial Pace »

Thanks, I am aware of that. I flipping love it. My finger tips are just recovering now from the weekend. It just annoys me that I was so silly, never mind. I'm confident I'll get them out.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

For future reference, lighter fluid works great on fingerboard crud too! make sure its the stuff for 'petrol lighters' though, you don't want the gas lol...

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

I'm pretty sure my ebony boards look like that? Are they scratches or just the wood grain?

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Glacial Pace »

sirvill wrote:I'm pretty sure my ebony boards look like that? Are they scratches or just the wood grain?
Scratches for sure, but quite light, confident I'll get them out but I'm going to wait until the next string change to have a go at them.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Maybe I've just munted all my ebony board guitars then - quite possible :D

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

scratches? you sure that just looks like grain to me, don't they all look like that,maybe just been a bit dry and shrinkage, needs a good oil