Conservatism Test: How do you handle this lot?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: Conservatism Test: How do you handle this lot?

Post by robnobcorncob »

Slowy wrote: There's nothing really radical here except the Matsuda and the last two are there to acknowledge the amazing craftsmanship.
Matsuda really is a giant and has arguably (imho) pushed the lutherie envelope further than any other of Ervin Somogyi's apprentices.

This one of his reminds me of MC Escher... and makes my brain hurt.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Eh. Going by this, making guitars uglier is what counts as innovation. Where are the self-playing guitars? Where are the guitars that make fundamentally new sounds? These are all conservative af

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

When you look at cars and how the bodies changed over the years and quite rapidly. Here's the guitar frozen in time, I like that.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Post by Slowy »

telefiend wrote:Eh. Going by this, making guitars uglier is what counts as innovation. Where are the self-playing guitars? Where are the guitars that make fundamentally new sounds? These are all conservative af
selfplayguitar1.jpg
Yeah...Nah.
'Fundamentally new sounds'. If it did, would it still be a guitar or would it be something else?
I have some sympathy for the 'ugly' comment. An acoustic guitar is pretty much a completed design problem. It now receives attention from two types of people; engineers who are looking to refine production, materials and performance elements and artists/craftsmen who are expanding the visual possibilities. There's a lot of the latter in this gallery and it's hard to judge fairly from just a photograph. Though some seem downright fugly to me too.

Glad there's so many talented folks putting their time into guitars though. How come so many of them are Canadian?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

It's the French Connection.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

Baha, I want that self-player monstrosity. That's great!

I guess it's all refinement, and that's cool, but if it's a choice between a weird looking guitar that has some minor playability or construction perk, or something classic that does largely the same thing and doesn't look fugly, I'll take the latter. It's like with violins - they got it right the first time and nobody wants change because what's the point?

That being said, one man's fugly is another man's wife. I like the look of Steinbergers, for example, and vomit when I see a PRS.

I don't know what my point is.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Speaking of violins I was reading an article about the f holes (ib;jb). There's some kind of aspect about that audio config that cannot be improved on, despite efforts on advancement.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Slowy wrote: Glad there's so many talented folks putting their time into guitars though. How come so many of them are Canadian?
One must always remember that Jean Larrivee's influence is pretty far-reaching...

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

I would jump at the chance to play any of these mutants, would I own them, probably not. I like my Martin D-28, so I am conservative I guess. However I find the creativity stimulating and another part of me wonders what if.
OMM OM MM OMM MM