Veritas Custom Guitars

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Veritas Custom Guitars

Post by MattAnt »

Many of you will remember me selling down a large amount of gear to chase a “dream purchase”. Well this purchase has started an unhealthy obsession with a guitar company, and for those who care to read it, I’ll tell you all about it. If you just want to look at pretty pictures, there are many throughout!

Veritas Guitars are a boutique guitar manufacturer that started out a few years ago as a small workshop. Essentially a one man band who hand makes every guitar personally. Though they have gained a substantial reputation and have upgraded their facilities significantly, Casey is still the man making the guitars. He now has a team to help with the finer details like painting hardware assembly, marketing etc etc. Their guitars start at $3400us and can go all the way up to $7000us, and take about 9-12months to build.

Onto the guitars!

The guitar I was chasing was a second hand Portlander Thinline. Obviously inspired by the Telecaster, the Portlander suits me to a T (get it). This wasn’t necessarily the configuration I would have ordered if I was speccing my own, but it was a pretty special build (with more upgrades than you could throw a stick at), and they don’t come up second hand very often. I figured if I needed to, I could sell it back to the states.

The guitar arrived a few months back and has been my number one ever since, not an easy feat to dethrone my CS tele (though many have tried). The workmanship on this guitar is genuinely second to none. I have owned or played many high end guitars, and this one literally stopped me in my tracks. It had some light buckle rash on the back but otherwise was in fantastic condition. Binding, paintwork, detailing, all meticulous. The real standout however is the neck. Easily the best neck I have played. Incredible comfortable profile (somewhere in the C camp), compound radius, ebony fretboard, impeccable fretwork, quarter sawn maple with the absolute perfect amount of light nitro. Not quite an unfinished raw neck, but unbelievably silky smooth. All of that is then taken to the next level with what they call their pro-set neck (upgrade over bolt on). This is a work of art (pic below) and provides such great upper fret access whilst also looking badass. The guitar is a great weight, not too light (hate the Fender thin lines), but so comfortable. This guitar had the pickups specced as TV Jones Powertrons which I was expecting to change out but they sound really great. Super chimey, definitely in the tele camp but with just a bit more fatness.

So moved was I by this new guitar that I set out to order a couple more. More of these insanely expensive guitars you say? Madness! My theory was to try a few more second hand Portlanders, so I could get a good handle on my perfect spec if I was ever to commission my own build from Veritas. Pretty big gamble to guess on the spec when you are spending that kind of money and waiting 9-12months. I managed to score a good second hand Portlander solid body, and a dealer new Portlander solid body with varying specs. Someone got in touch with me about buying one off me, and I said they would be able to purchase one of three for sure so I had a buyer ready to go. Well they arrived about a three weeks ago and I can tell you the workmanship is consistently amazing! Brief run down on the differences…

The dog hair finish model is potentially one of my favourites. It is breathtaking to look at and its playability is amazing. This is the dealer new model so that would have a fair amount to do with setup/playability. This model is a Honduran Mahagony body, and sports a hum bucker bridge and p90 neck. Veritas have just brought out their own pickups which feature in this guitar and they do not disappoint! The hum bucker is based on a Lollar El Rayo, and the P90 a Lollar 50s wind. It sounds fantastic, though I personally found I am not a big fan of such different bridge and neck pickups. Either are fantastic on their own, but it is a pretty big eq swing from the bright snappy bridge to the snarly mid scooped p90. If this was a duel hum bucker, this may have been the keeper, though I would have loved it with the pro-set neck (it is a bolt on).

The white model is a beautiful swamp ash open grain body, with Lollar El Rayos in the neck and bridge. It has a birds eye maple neck with a light gloss finish, and like the dog hair is a bolt on. Like the others, the workmanship is flawless and the sound is fantastic.

So my buyer in the wings has picked up his new dog hair Veritas and he is gushing. Quote “it has topped my Fano GF6 for top sounding guitar, it is amazing”. Somewhere along the line I accidentally promised the dog hair model could be his, otherwise I would potentially have kept it and swapped out the P90.

Which brings me to today. I have learned a fair bit about Veritas, and am in the process of putting in a bespoke custom order based on my findings. I am working with a dealer who already has an order in the pipeline which should reduce my wait down to 3 months. These guitars are pricey, especially with the current dollar. To spec out the thin line I have new from Veritas today, would cost about $9500 to land in NZ. Is it worth that? Hard to say, but it is definitely worth what I paid for it, which is the most I have paid for a guitar to date.

Fire me any questions you might have, and if you are interested in the white Portlander or the thin line, let me know. The white one will most definitely be up for sale when my new one comes in as they double up a bit. Time will tell on the thin line, but I am curious to try some other Veritas. Heck at this point I should just become a dealer :D

Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3487 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Re: Veritas Custom Guitars

Post by codedog »

I started looking at these guys last year (I think?) and they make some awesome looking guitars. The only thing that makes me balk is that stamp in the headstock... pity. I understand they are very popular in the worship bands scene.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Those look awesome. Trussart territory price, ow. Obviously you've had to consolidate gear down to get these, no regrets there at all? Or are they enough of a joy bringer that the opportunity cost is less than the gains?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

codedog wrote:I understand they are very popular in the worship bands scene.
With "In God We Trust" and "Romans 10:9" stamped in the headstock badge, they're clearly aimed at that market. Which completely ruins it for me. :lol: :twisted:
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7735 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

Satan is my spirit animal.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Conway wrote:
With "In God We Trust" and "Romans 10:9" stamped in the headstock badge, they're clearly aimed at that market. Which completely ruins it for me. :lol: :twisted:
I'm sure you could get a Slayer badge made up to replace it?
Loving it so far

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

These are built to order so I am sure Casey would do you something else on the headstock if you wanted to. Hadn't actually noticed the verse inscription. Remember America is a pretty Christian country and In God We Trust is on their bank notes as well.

Consolidation wise it wasn't too bad. I had a whole bunch of amps I wasn't using that I sold down, and selling the Falcon paid for most of one of them. They are well enough joy bringers for the price I paid for them.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3487 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

Conway wrote:
Yup, that... exactly that...

Such a great pity. These are simply superb looking guitars, utterly drool-worthy for me!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 318 times
Been liked: 935 times

Post by Reg18 »

Man those are nice! You certainly don't do things in halves do you!

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattAnt »

Reg18 wrote:Man those are nice! You certainly don't do things in halves do you!
I am known to get carried away...
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2098 times

Post by GrantB »

These look very cool. The badge thing is of no consequence in my view. That white one...mmmm...
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Yes, I would take the white one too if I had money.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Got to admire a guy that doesn't do things by halves.

:thumbup:

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

Molly wrote:Got to admire a guy that doesn't do things by halves.

:thumbup:
Does it sound familiar? :)
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7735 times
Been liked: 4179 times

Post by jeremyb »

I find the body shape a tad offputting :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.