Advice on possible trade deal - Taylor for Suhr

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Advice on possible trade deal - Taylor for Suhr

Post by slash-ed »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Hmm, seems I need to do more homework on Suhr prices too...I thought they all went for about $3k around here... :eh:
Pro Series were Suhr's attempt at a stripped down standard production model (rather than the custom stuff which, while carrying a certain product name, are much more customisable).

IIRC the finish is different from the expensive ones too.

They generally aren't as pretty looking as "proper" Suhrs either, which drives lower resale value.

I think $1800-2200 is probably appropriate for this guitar depending on how much you want it. Which imo is about right for the Taylor as well (10+ years old, older Expression System, etc).
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

bbrunskill wrote:I wouldn't make that trade, personally.
but to be fair you mainly play acoustic :mental:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I've had a decent look around Reverb, TGP etc and while the S series (Suhr Pro S1, S2 etc) are considered slightly more entry level than say the Classic Pro and Classic Antique, they are still $2K USD new entry point, and there isn't a single one I can find for what would have to be US $1300 to line up with an $1800 NZ valuation. Cheapest I found was $1500USD, which pitches over the $2kNZ mark before annoying features like shipping and GST.
NZ's market might only support an early $2k price for that S1, but certainly the pricing internationally is a lot more. I haven't had any experience with the S series, just the custom S and classic Pros, but I can't imagine this not being a great guitar. If you are after a straight onsell, perhaps the preceding advice on pricing would be worthwhile heeding, but if you were intending on playing it I'd strongly endorse the deal - as noted your Taylor will be priced at or below the Suhr.

Carnage
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 2 times

Post by Carnage »

Thanks all for the input. The guy with the Suhr is out of town for a couple of weeks, so the current plan is to do a trial swap for a few days in mid Feb to see if we are both happy with the trade.
Gives me a couple of weeks to make my mind up and see if anything else comes along that I like the look of more than than the Suhr.
So far, the only other trade offers I've had are other acoustics - Maton Tommy Emmanual Sig, Cole Clark Angel, and a Blueridge.
Trust in Allah... but tie your camel to a tree.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

null_pointer wrote:I've had a decent look around Reverb, TGP etc and while the S series (Suhr Pro S1, S2 etc) are considered slightly more entry level than say the Classic Pro and Classic Antique, they are still $2K USD new entry point, and there isn't a single one I can find for what would have to be US $1300 to line up with an $1800 NZ valuation. Cheapest I found was $1500USD, which pitches over the $2kNZ mark before annoying features like shipping and GST.
NZ's market might only support an early $2k price for that S1, but certainly the pricing internationally is a lot more. I haven't had any experience with the S series, just the custom S and classic Pros, but I can't imagine this not being a great guitar. If you are after a straight onsell, perhaps the preceding advice on pricing would be worthwhile heeding, but if you were intending on playing it I'd strongly endorse the deal - as noted your Taylor will be priced at or below the Suhr.
The NZ second hand market doesn't depend on the USA pricing at all, so that comparison doesn't really make any difference to the reality.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

slash-ed wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:Hmm, seems I need to do more homework on Suhr prices too...I thought they all went for about $3k around here... :eh:
Pro Series were Suhr's attempt at a stripped down standard production model (rather than the custom stuff which, while carrying a certain product name, are much more customisable).

IIRC the finish is different from the expensive ones too.

They generally aren't as pretty looking as "proper" Suhrs either, which drives lower resale value.

I think $1800-2200 is probably appropriate for this guitar depending on how much you want it. Which imo is about right for the Taylor as well (10+ years old, older Expression System, etc).
Cheers for this info Ed.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

+1 to what Ed said. I've often joked that I should take guitars with me to the States to sell there during my travels

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Kiwiaxe wrote:+1 to what Ed said. I've often joked that I should take guitars with me to the States to sell there during my travels
Yeah, it is funny how that works, for some models. You could make money taking some used PRS guitars to the States too, and probably a lot of stuff that is not totally mainstream. We are a pretty conservative bunch here it seems.