Strat chat

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Strat chat

Post by Bg »

then everybody else will know the wrong way to do it ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

jeremyb wrote:Some nice playing and strat chat...

I dig Dan's stuff. Although saying that I watched a half hour video of him playing live somewhere in Germany from memory, was from last year or early this year. Was a bit average TBH, just didn't seem to be in the pocket with his band and his playing seemed a bit stiff/forced.

I'm sure Jeremy will only comment on stiff and forced being used in the same sentence though :clap:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Bg wrote:
codedog wrote:
Bg wrote:didn't last more than a minute, I really hate that kind of strat tone and playing, every other note he does the 'thunka' across all strings. And that tone is just bleugh, reminds me of everything I dislike in srv :( Sets my teeth on edge.
That rake is different from what srv doesI think... to my ear anyway. This sounds like a slightly slower and more deliberate rake across the strings muted by the pick hand. SRV did a lot of his "thunka" muting with his fretting hand, which I don't mind at all.

This kind of rake, used to this excess, absolutely twists my nipples too. The bouncy playing and tone I quite like though.
Dunno, its that long since I listened to any srv, its just instant turn off - along with all the twat in a hat impersonators "shudders"
I like SRV and don't mind a bit of generic Texas blues stratiness, but that vid is bloody awful. Guitar shop blues at its worst.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Jesse Davey (formerly of 'The Hoax') has the Strat tone nailed. Personally I think he wipes the floor with the more well known guys like KWS, Dan Patlansky et al. Saw him many times live and I've heard numerous people say that you don't get much closer to Stevie's tone than what Jesse does. Back in the good old 90's when The Hoax were winning the 'Best British Blues Band' year after year, Jesse was unashamedly flying the SRV flag. Check out the build up of his solo from 2.08-6.58 :clap:

Nowadays he seems to have tamed his SRV influence a little; last couple of years seem to have seen him gravitating back towards more of a BB King style of playing (whilst largely staying with his faithful Strats). I dig the thumb-free vibrato he does:

BB King tone/tasty playing alert :!:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Danger Mouse wrote: I like SRV and don't mind a bit of generic Texas blues stratiness, but that vid is bloody awful. Guitar shop blues at its worst.
I like texas blues stratiness, but its the other vaughan, jimmy....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote: I like SRV and don't mind a bit of generic Texas blues stratiness, but that vid is bloody awful. Guitar shop blues at its worst.
check Jimmie out on the new gov't mule song Burning Point ...... his playing is great as usual
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

mike
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 2 times

Post by mike »

Does Gary Moore's Texas Strut pass as Texas Strat?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

TmcB wrote:I had a strat moment.

It was an awesome strat but damn, you really are tethered to some super over-done sounds.
With you there. I played an original 61 fairly constantly from 1974 til 1990 when I lost interest in playing the guitar at all only to realise a while later that it was my Strat I was bored with and not the guitar as a whole.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Just got my old Strat back off Tim and find the bridge saddle screws cut my hand to shreds as I remember it doing last time around. Thinking of filing them. Has anyone else had a similar experience with them.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

MrDINO wrote:Just got my old Strat back off Tim and find the bridge saddle screws cut my hand to shreds as I remember it doing last time around. Thinking of filing them. Has anyone else had a similar experience with them.
Been there...You could file them, or you could replace the ones that jut out with shorter ones--they are made & sold for exactly this problem.

KentNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 50 times

Post by KentNZ »

I think this needs to be in here.

Larrivee 00 Acoustic. FAV Strat for electric. Ibanez SDGR5 for bass. Push for Ableton. When not doing that, 3D CAD for tunnels...

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Jesse Davey (formerly of 'The Hoax') has the Strat tone nailed.
Thanks for the link. Downloaded a recent album for later.

Don't know that there is a tone that can be called 'the Strat tone' but he's definitely got SRV's Tin Pan Alley tone nailed.
Danger Mouse wrote:
I like SRV and don't mind a bit of generic Texas blues stratiness, but that vid is bloody awful. Guitar shop blues at its worst.
Do you think tone and technique have been devalued by their accessibility? I swear I can recall that not knowing the word 'distortion' made it impossible for me to describe what I wanted my guitar to sound like. My dad bought me a Mr Twang combo with tremolo circuit because to him Hank Marvin was the pinnacle of guitar tone. I wanted a Brian May sound. By chance I heard a sales guy demoing a Badger combo and he was making 'that' sound. And as for technique, I'd record radio interviews with the likes of Clapton on the off-chance he'd give something away. That and playing stuff over and over again to try to get a handle on it.

I know that's all a bit 'jumpers for goal posts' but the point is that any technique and tone is just a few clicks away so there's no mystery. Is that why it's now possible to listen to and readily dismiss someone like Dan Patlansky? Has YouTube moved our expectations so far forward that we just want something inaccessible before we'll be impressed?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

mike wrote:Does Gary Moore's Texas Strut pass as Texas Strat?
Fuck... I hate GM's 'blues' playing. Like a bull at a gate. He just found a cash cow to ride-out his career on and went with it. Shite. :-)
willow13 wrote:
Bg wrote:
check Jimmie out on the new gov't mule song Burning Point ...... his playing is great as usual
I picked up on a recent JV track after you mentioned it, Bg. Dengue Woman. He's so weird to watch but that particular track is an example of some beautiful phrasing. Just downloading Burning Point. :thumbup:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Yep and I love the tone on that song, thats my ideal blues tone :) And yeah he does look like a fifties throwback ;)

Some of Gary's blues stuff is actually quite good - blues for greeny is pretty restrained. But the later albums were just running through the motions. He did reinvigorate the career of a couple of the old blues guys like Albert Collins who was pretty much living in hostels and stuff at that point, so I admire him muchly for that.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

and Les Paul into Marshall, can't ignore that ;)