Strat chat

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Re: Strat chat

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote:Yep and I love the tone on that song, thats my ideal blues tone :) And yeah he does look like a fifties throwback ;)

Some of Gary's blues stuff is actually quite good - blues for greeny is pretty restrained. But the later albums were just running through the motions. He did reinvigorate the career of a couple of the old blues guys like Albert Collins who was pretty much living in hostels and stuff at that point, so I admire him muchly for that.
That's nice to hear but I just recall pictures of him grimacing whilst wearing a studded wristband and wondering what bandwagon he'd be on next week. This is the guy that played epic stuff with Colosseum II and whilst guesting with Cozy Powell (Dartmoor is a good starter). He was a superb player who I guess just had to pay the bills.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:Yep and I love the tone on that song, thats my ideal blues tone :) And yeah he does look like a fifties throwback ;)
yeah totally agree...just wish I could make that type of tine sound good :rofl: .. I love gain but if I used cleanish tones the Jimmies would be it for sure
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2262 times
Been liked: 3907 times

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:
yeah totally agree...just wish I could make that type of tine sound good :rofl: .. I love gain but if I used cleanish tones the Jimmies would be it for sure
Can you get that tone with the Peavey or do you need to use katana magic :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:[
Can you get that tone with the Peavey or do you need to use katana magic :D
oh the Katana sure does it but with me playing it just sounds meh :rofl: ...actually had the day off because of rain and spent a good 5 hrs playing the katana and downloading patches and what is very obvious is how much better the "user" patches are compared to the stuff on the line 6 forums...I download an eruption tone that is just killer. And got a YJM patch that just sound fantastic (although I had to do a little bit of editing to get it "there")

seriously this thing keeps impressing me ..after a slow start :rofl:

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

yeah I've bitten the bullet, theres a ga-fs with my name on it at the rockshop :)
I'm actually just using the built in 5 amps at present, can't fault the clean at all, really good tone
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

I'm just using the clean amp and pedals now :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:I'm just using the clean amp and pedals now :)
of that works for then awesome.....does seem like a waste though

I need to get the foot switch thing now though

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4168 times

Post by jeremyb »

I don't think it's a waste, I like that I can use it by itself with all the bells and whistles and just with pedals too :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

jeremyb wrote:I don't think it's a waste, I like that I can use it by itself with all the bells and whistles and just with pedals too :)
admit it. you have a pedal addiction..the KOC is just not enough :rofl:

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

The only reason Gary Moore sold his famous 59 'Greeny' LP was because he was under a bit of financial strain. Can't quite believe Kirk Hammett has it now ?!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:The only reason Gary Moore sold his famous 59 'Greeny' LP was because he was under a bit of financial strain. Can't quite believe Kirk Hammett has it now ?!
Yeah cancelled a tour and it left him well out of pocket, guitar center bought it IIRC. Just another guitar...

Story goes Kirk wanted to cop the tone from Still Got the Blues, and couldn't believe it was just Les Paul and Marshall dimed ;) dunno how much truth is in that but I'd not be surprised.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
I like SRV and don't mind a bit of generic Texas blues stratiness, but that vid is bloody awful. Guitar shop blues at its worst.
Do you think tone and technique have been devalued by their accessibility? I swear I can recall that not knowing the word 'distortion' made it impossible for me to describe what I wanted my guitar to sound like. My dad bought me a Mr Twang combo with tremolo circuit because to him Hank Marvin was the pinnacle of guitar tone. I wanted a Brian May sound. By chance I heard a sales guy demoing a Badger combo and he was making 'that' sound. And as for technique, I'd record radio interviews with the likes of Clapton on the off-chance he'd give something away. That and playing stuff over and over again to try to get a handle on it.

I know that's all a bit 'jumpers for goal posts' but the point is that any technique and tone is just a few clicks away so there's no mystery. Is that why it's now possible to listen to and readily dismiss someone like Dan Patlansky? Has YouTube moved our expectations so far forward that we just want something inaccessible before we'll be impressed?
I agree that anyone can buy the right gear and a copy of 1001 Greatest Blues Licks, so there is no mystery in being able to play like any of the greats. But there is, and always has been, much more to being a great blues guitarist than knowing all the good licks.

The reason I don't like that vid isn't because he treads such a well worn path, but because he treads it so poorly. Technique for technique's sake, flashy licks simply because they are flashy, but poor timing and very little feel sucking the life out of what he's playing. Doing what everyone else is doing isn't a problem for me, just as long as its being done well.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2488 times
Been liked: 2799 times

Post by Molly »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Molly wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
I like SRV and don't mind a bit of generic Texas blues stratiness, but that vid is bloody awful. Guitar shop blues at its worst.
Do you think tone and technique have been devalued by their accessibility? I swear I can recall that not knowing the word 'distortion' made it impossible for me to describe what I wanted my guitar to sound like. My dad bought me a Mr Twang combo with tremolo circuit because to him Hank Marvin was the pinnacle of guitar tone. I wanted a Brian May sound. By chance I heard a sales guy demoing a Badger combo and he was making 'that' sound. And as for technique, I'd record radio interviews with the likes of Clapton on the off-chance he'd give something away. That and playing stuff over and over again to try to get a handle on it.

I know that's all a bit 'jumpers for goal posts' but the point is that any technique and tone is just a few clicks away so there's no mystery. Is that why it's now possible to listen to and readily dismiss someone like Dan Patlansky? Has YouTube moved our expectations so far forward that we just want something inaccessible before we'll be impressed?
I agree that anyone can buy the right gear and a copy of 1001 Greatest Blues Licks, so there is no mystery in being able to play like any of the greats. But there is, and always has been, much more to being a great blues guitarist than knowing all the good licks.

The reason I don't like that vid isn't because he treads such a well worn path, but because he treads it so poorly. Technique for technique's sake, flashy licks simply because they are flashy, but poor timing and very little feel sucking the life out of what he's playing. Doing what everyone else is doing isn't a problem for me, just as long as its being done well.
I hear ya. Some guys have it and some don't. Some players have you hanging on their every note and some are instantly forgettable. For a great example of the former check out Derek Trucks version of Keep On Growing from Live From The Fox Oakland. For the latter check out almost everybody else. ;-)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

As much as I love trucksy, he does go overboard at times - his solos quite often are structured the same, but its an awesome trick :D

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 353 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote:
I hear ya. Some guys have it and some don't. Some players have you hanging on their every note and some are instantly forgettable. For a great example of the former check out Derek Trucks version of Keep On Growing from Live From The Fox Oakland. For the latter check out almost everybody else. ;-)
I've not had the level of exposure to Derek Trucks BG has but he's exactly who I'd pick for a great example of getting it right too. I hear him and I think "oh yeah, that's right he's really good, not just good he's... HOLY SHIT that is awesome playing!". Billy Gibbons, before he bought a drum machine, is up there too.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.