Chibsons

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MakoGat
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Re: Chibsons

Post by MakoGat »

The thing is, if I could afford a LP Custom id have one already (house, kids and motorcycle prevent such goodies). As for an Epiphone in the model and colour I like ive not yet seen one for sale new or second hand, some close but still NZ$800 and in saying that I dont like the headstock shape. I just figured "if I got a good one" build quality wise, which they seem to have sorted I can get the model and colour I like, it has the Gibson logo and correct headstock, replace electrics and pickups possibly tuners give it a fret level and crown with full setup and in the end Ive only spent what a second hand Epi would cost me anyway (or less). I like to tinker and build guitars to my own taste.

In some of the Youtube videos ive seen they are pretty good, one guy took a chisel to the maple top to see if it was veneer, it was solid thick carved maple, only obvious issues are with components which can be swapped out.

I do understand the risk, if its firewood quality Im sure with a bit of a setup it could be sold to a beginner for same that it cost me.

Ethically like I said I dont agree to the extent of which they have copied the legitimate item.

Love to hear all your thoughts guys an gals.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

I think if I was to get one - if I was to sell it I would sand off the logo and serial and put something else there. I'd hate to think it would end up in the hands of someone who would try to sell it as the real deal.

***BTW - I wouldn't get one.

Also on law suit era guitars - they didn't have the logo did they? So though they copied - they didn't pretend to be the original. Small but salient difference?
Last edited by HackSaw on Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

HackSaw wrote:I think if I was to get one - if I was to sell it I would sand off the logo and serial and put something else there. I'd hate to think it would end up in the hands of someone who would try to sell it as the real deal.
Or just ask them to make one with blank headstock. Although I feel that the reason OP wants one over an Epi/LTD/Tokai is that he wants the G logo.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I got a non Chibson in a deal, made at the same factory though. I was sooo bad I could barely make it play right. Eventually I did but it sounded awful so I sold it for $90 or something.

The ONLY reason someone would by a forged Gibson is to get the name on the headstock and maybe fool someone of lesser knowledge. Nothing about these guitars is good, but the ethics are truly terrible.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

lots of BS on youtube imo.

i reciently sold my les paul for 1K
few days later one sold on trademe for $750
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

HackSaw wrote: Also on law suit era guitars - they didn't have the logo did they? So though they copied - they didn't pretend to be the original. Small but salient difference?
The Lawsuit Era Ibanez LPs were only pulled up on the shape of the headstock, IIRC.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1366837150

What about something like this?

If it gets passed in at the auction you could offer him $830 (his start minus reserve.) If you bought the knockoff - paid $200 for pickups, $80 for electrics, and $80 for Tuners - you're up to $710. For another $120, you could have a really nice made in Japan guitar with Seymour Duncan pickups.

Another point to think of, is resale. You wouldn't lose any money on the Edwards at around that price, but you'd lose a bit on the knockoff. You also wouldn't be able to sell the knockoff on Trademe or any of the Facebook groups either.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

That's not silverburst though.

(Which, with a wild guess, is what you're looking at Mako? :D )

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

So for the benefit of the terminally slow, these guitars are manufactured and branded "Gibson" but actually have no connection with Gibson Inc?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Finn's guitar at Gear Fest certainly looked the part.For someone like me with rudimentary guitar knowledge I wouldn't know the difference.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

foal30 wrote:So for the benefit of the terminally slow, these guitars are manufactured and branded "Gibson" but actually have no connection with Gibson Inc?
Yes that's right - they're copies from Chinese factories.

They look identical to Gibsons (well sort of - they are often a slightly different shape, hardware, etc, but they're trying to be replicas).

Some may be built in factories that make Epiphones, and some maybe in other factories.

So yeah, its quite illegal.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

foal30 wrote:Finn's guitar at Gear Fest certainly looked the part.For someone like me with rudimentary guitar knowledge I wouldn't know the difference.
And this is the issue. I can tell you that the Cashies in Barton St Hamilton were not happy when I pointed out their $3500 Les Paul Custom was a $150 fake. People hate hearing bad news.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I've had a couple of Chibson DG335s, got them made without Gibson branding so it would be obvious to any buyers down the line that they were not authentic.

One was firewood, the other was better than my Sheraton that I also had at the time; so luck of the draw.

I'd agree with BG that most people participating in our modern society don't have much to stand on when decrying a Chibbo for IP theft and sweatshop labour; just take reasonable steps to make sure no-one with π a brain could think they were getting a deal on a real Gibson.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

MakoGat wrote:The thing is, if I could afford a LP Custom id have one already (house, kids and motorcycle prevent such goodies). As for an Epiphone in the model and colour I like ive not yet seen one for sale new or second hand, some close but still NZ$800 and in saying that I dont like the headstock shape. I just figured "if I got a good one" build quality wise, which they seem to have sorted I can get the model and colour I like, it has the Gibson logo and correct headstock, replace electrics and pickups possibly tuners give it a fret level and crown with full setup and in the end Ive only spent what a second hand Epi would cost me anyway (or less). I like to tinker and build guitars to my own taste.
I am the same when it comes to the Epi headstock...I hate it. You should look into a second hand tokai (should be able to get one for around $400) and then paint it how you want to
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Still can't believe I finally have a real Gibson LP, BUT if I didn't have it and price was the reason holding me back I still wouldn't look at getting one of these.

You get the occasional positive comment... but I think 'occasional' is the key word there. Watched a YT video a few months ago where at first glance it looked great. However once you start taking a closer look at the binding, frets, finish etc you start to realise just what a pile of crap many of them are. Doesn't make sense to me to put good upgrades on a crap guitar - would be like putting a spoiler on a Fiat :-)