NGD

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

NGD

Post by Slowy »

se1.jpg
\

Sorry Conway, I know it's not really a PRS.
As scored for me by Troy (JellyBelly). Action is so low I can't fit a credit card in there. Have to use a light touch but it plays beautifully. Sustains like a Bosendorfer Grand Piano. Weighs nothing at all.
Still getting used to the single P90. Have raised it close to the strings. Very bright and again, piano like.

Am thinking of putting a stacked tone/ volume pot in there. Any advice on what specs should be used?

Couldn't be happier with this; it's just a brilliant little guitar. In fact, I think I might keep buying them as they come up.

Which brings me to Troy's an utterlygoodbloke 2.0
This arrived with a stoved in and shattered G string tuner. Some cretin with barely the requisite intellect to operate a pulse had bounced it on its headstock. The tuner buttons were made of a grained ivory plastic and completely beyond repair.
"I've got a set of chrome PRS tuners, they're on their way" says Troy and the day after, there they were. :shock: 8)
They look so much better than the ivory ones and for the second time in a week, I am lost for words to express my gratitude and appreciation of Mr. JellyBelly. Thank you Troy!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Glacial Pace
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: NGD

Post by Glacial Pace »

These are such cool guitars and Troy sounds like he's been a right good chap. Nice one guys. :thumbup:

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

The trick with no tone controls is to use the volume control to take the bright edge off- just turn it down to about 8 and you'll take away the edge but leave the level intact. Mr Lollar swears by that approach with Jazzmasters (even though they have tone controls).

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

THIS CALLS FOR CAPS! TROY IS THE MAN!

(Now sell me that MJT Tele back :)))

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

bender wrote:The trick with no tone controls is to use the volume control to take the bright edge off- just turn it down to about 8 and you'll take away the edge but leave the level intact. Mr Lollar swears by that approach with Jazzmasters (even though they have tone controls).
True enough, it works.

Have just spent a solid hour with it accompanied by the Trio+Band. Learned two important things:
1. It's a total joy to play; feels great.
2. Contrary to interwebz wisdom, I find the pickup weak, thin and shrill. Not at all enjoyable to my ears. So before I send an email to Mr Lollar, any nice, fat P90's looking for a home?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Slowy wrote:any nice, fat P90's looking for a home?
I have a Gibson P90 lying around but not sure if it's considered as "nice" nowadays haha.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Before you splash out on a Lollar, check out Jess Loureiro pickups. Inexpensive and really great.

http://www.jlguitars.com

Curtis Novak is a bit of a genius too, although I don't think he's much cheaper than Lollar.

I'll be ordering some jazzmaster pickups from one of those three in the not too distant future
Last edited by bender on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Lower the pickup a bit, mine was great once dialled in. I also never used the volume on 10. In fact it taught me to use the volume controls on my other guitars to shape tone. Now I rarely use a guitar with the volume on max.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

bender wrote:The trick with no tone controls is to use the volume control to take the bright edge off- just turn it down to about 8 and you'll take away the edge but leave the level intact. Mr Lollar swears by that approach with Jazzmasters (even though they have tone controls).
+ 1

When I was fitting a single volume control to my budget acoustic archtop, I was told to fit a treble bleed circuit.
I didn't, as as Bender said above, rolling back the volume also acts as a tone control with very little difference
in volume.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

H671 wrote:
+ 1

When I was fitting a single volume control to my budget acoustic archtop, I was told to fit a treble bleed circuit.
I didn't, as as Bender said above, rolling back the volume also acts as a tone control with very little difference
in volume.
Yeah, it's the way I control the biting treble on my Gretsches. Neither have a tone control.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

bender wrote:Before you splash out on a Lollar, check out Jess Loureiro pickups. Inexpensive and really great.

Curtis Novak is a bit of a genius too, although I don't think he's much cheaper than Lollar.

I'll be ordering some jazzmaster pickups from one of those three in the not too distant future
Also- he can take a while to get back to you, but is really great at helping spec exactly what pickup is right for you. At the price, you could get 2 or possibly even 3 for less than a single Lollar.

I have a set of Wide-Range Humbuckers for my Jazzmaster and they sound remarkably comparable to my original '73 WRHB. I honestly can't rate him highly enough.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Lower the pickup a bit, mine was great once dialled in. I also never used the volume on 10. In fact it taught me to use the volume controls on my other guitars to shape tone. Now I rarely use a guitar with the volume on max.
Same. My Strat pickups are almost flush to the pickguard, middle pickup I have a bit higher but generally they're all quite low. Guitar volume knob usually sits around 8 most of the time, nice little boost for solos when you bring it up to 10.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1208 times
Been liked: 1401 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

bender wrote:
bender wrote:Before you splash out on a Lollar, check out Jess Loureiro pickups. Inexpensive and really great.

Also- he can take a while to get back to you, but is really great at helping spec exactly what pickup is right for you. At the price, you could get 2 or possibly even 3 for less than a single Lollar.

I have a set of Wide-Range Humbuckers for my Jazzmaster and they sound remarkably comparable to my original '73 WRHB. I honestly can't rate him highly enough.
+1 have a set of his pickups in my tele, they are excellent.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Lower the pickup a bit, mine was great once dialled in. I also never used the volume on 10. In fact it taught me to use the volume controls on my other guitars to shape tone. Now I rarely use a guitar with the volume on max.
Lesson for the day: Don't assume you know what you're doing.
The SE One arrived with the pickup almost sunk into the body. I immediately raised it close to the strings. ( I have enough polite guitars).
Sounded really uninspiring. This morning I took Nik's advice and lowered it half way between strings and body..
Hellooo Baby! That's more like it! Much fatter and more growly and suddenly the sound started to match the playing pleasure.
Not able to leave well enough alone I then A/B'd it with the Lollar Special T in the Korinacaster.
How can I describe this......? Kim Dotcom just rocked up in an AMG 63 Merc?
Vastly improved though it is, I still think there's an overwound Lollar P90 in this little guitar's future.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7724 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Nice one Slowy! Love the simplicity of guitars like these!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.