Tell us about your one favourite guitar

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Tell us about your one favourite guitar

Post by Molly »

From your current crop, what's your one favourite guitar and why?

I'll start with this. Made in 2014 it's a Wildwood '10' Limited Edition '55 Strat in faded Surf Green with heavy relic finish. It's incredibly light (ash body - seemingly one piece - 7lbs) and has a quarter-sawn, bigish one-piece maple neck (soft v profile). It's the most resonant guitar I think I've ever owned. Makes for a great acoustic actually. 10" radius. John Cruz pickups. Tele-like in the bridge to my ears. Not harsh at all. No ice-pick. Love it.

Love this demo from 7:20

OK, your turn.
Last edited by Molly on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Tell us about your one favourite guitar

Post by null_pointer »

Hmmm. I'm thinking of this through the lens of 'if I were to leave the house to play out somewhere, which one would I grab', and it would most likely be the black Suhr Custom S (comfort and versatility). I 'enjoy' the red ES-335 the most noodling into the Princeton, but that has limited scope.

Actually to be honest 80% of my home playing is the Gibson J-35 - just grab and go, great sound and no need to sort out pedals and the like...

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I just end up going to my PRS Holcomb on the basis it's just so bloody nice to play and sounds good for most tones. It's tuned to Drop C, but I've enjoyed playing it in D Standard as well as late. Biggest draw for me is that it's the only guitar I've ever owned where the pickups are actually almost perfect balance between sounding amazing for clean and high gain sounds. Most of my other guitars do one or the other, usually the latter, but I get some very cool single-coiled Tele-style tones in the middle position when tapped. :thumbup:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

My mexi sunburst tele now feels like the "one", upgraded her with the Obsidian 4 way switch kit and custom shop broadcaster / twisted tele set, the latter gives me that stratty tone in the neck I was after, still learning to love the bridge, but we'll get there, never had a proper tele before!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

This is my current favourite. '73 Tele Custom. I don't actually play it anywhere near as much as my Jazzmaster or my Gretsches, but if I was only allowed to keep one guitar, this would be it.

I've occasionally contemplated selling all of my guitars and trying to find a vintage Jazzmaster that's as great as this tele, because that would go a long way towards being all I'd ever need.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Picked up this relic'd Strat earlier this year, maybe it's the lack of paint but jeepers it is resonant. Ended up putting the neck from my '96 Strat on it and it just feels like home to me; has Fender USA pickups in it and whilst it does 'Strat' tones exactly as it should it kinda has it's own tone to it.

I only have 3 guitars right now, but this is the one I always reach for over the others. Can't beat the sound of it through my MPC Princeton :clap:

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

More Strat love, this thing, had it for 7 years now, 2004 62 ri made in Japan. Just a strat, nothing special apart from being a pretty one and nicely built. Has quite a heavy body, it does this thing when I dig in, like jeckle & hyde, a kind of aggressive response. Utterly beautiful clean fender tones off boost, only disrupted by my erroneous handling.

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Just for a change from beaten up Fenders...

And because Ben needs to see it again. :moresarc:

Looks incredible, feels incredible, sounds incredible. End of story.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Hopefully Troy will post his alien Tele next.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

This would be mine. An early 2000's D-35 (can't remember exactly what year). Probably irreplaceable to me in some ways. I'm not a very sentimental person generally but this guitar would be an exception. I've done thousands of gigs with it, it's fallen face-down onto bricks, I've worn through the laquer on the top shoulder twice, worn through layers of laquer on the back of the neck around the headstock end which is looking a bit rough now. Almost needing a refret. A nice amount of dings and scrapes on close inspection.
The low E needs to be tuned slightly flat to be in tune when fretted....and it sounds ok.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

calling card wrote:... it does this thing when I dig in, like jeckle & hyde, a kind of aggressive response.
That's a good way to describe it. My Strat does that too. Helps that the amp's very dynamic but there's a whole spectrum of tones to be had just by varying the approach. :thumbup:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Conway wrote:Just for a change from beaten up Fenders...

I know folk have expressed strong, and sometimes unkind, opinions on this guitar but you can't deny that it's one incredible example of mother nature meets craftsmanship.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Molly wrote:

I know folk have expressed strong, and sometimes unkind, opinions on this guitar but you can't deny that it's one incredible example of mother nature meets craftsmanship.
Thank you Molly.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Yes - it's a Samick!

A Greg Bennett series RL4-Ltd, it was the top of the range when I bought it back in 2011.
The pickups are Duncan Design 101's - apparently their budget version of the Gibson 57 Classics.
They don't have quite as much drive as the Gibson, but are much cleaner & bright sounding without
the icepick of Fender single coils, sort of like a high powered P90.
I'm using D"addario Flatwounds 11-50 guage and the current strings have been on for maybe 6 years now.
The Bigsby on this one of the smoothest that I have ever used - about the same as the one on my 335.
It has a super thin neck which I like because I play mostly barr chords & it's fast - like greased lightning.
It has a few battle scars, so I always grab this before my other more expensive ones & save them for performances.
RL4-Ltd small.jpg
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

That is rather lovely!
Wellington