LAP Steel advice (Commodore)

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 380 times

LAP Steel advice (Commodore)

Post by Dharmajester »

Quite tempted by the Commodore Lap Steel on trade Me. However all the information I've seen regarding them has them as steel bodied instruments.
Some of the chrome on it looks far less ornate than the examples I've seen before so appears replace and the wood body makes me wonder if someone has sculpted an old piano leg and added a commodore marker board ?

Anyone with advice, or suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by Dharmajester on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Re: LAP Steel advice

Post by WellyBlues »

Looks interesting. Can't speak to it's authenticity. Or value for money. But it is interesting. Can't recall seeing one like it on Trademe before.

Helpfulness? 0/10 :roll:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: LAP Steel advice (Commodore)

Post by Dharmajester »

Yep, given the possible non original features it's neither cheap or a collectors piece. The fact that it's wood though appeals to me more than the usual composite over metal of the more visual originals.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 240 times
Been liked: 1047 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I bought an isanely high end (oxymoron, I know) commodore 4 pick up trem electric from string city Dunedin, for $250 in 2005. The man known as P90 on trade me or asymetrical on the offset guitars forum now owns it. Good bloke, sold it to him for $750. It's the 59 les paul of commodores. It would be worth at tops $1200 now. A commodore lap steel shouldn't go for more then $500 tops.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Looks non original , but cool
I had one for a while. Far more ornate in the metal work Tho.
I payed $400 for it

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Thanks chaps
Hunter S. Thompson

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

Hang out for a falcon, blue oval all the way!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by H671 »

Dharmajester wrote:Quite tempted by the Commodore Lap Steel on trade Me. However all the information I've seen regarding them has them as steel bodied instruments.
Some of the chrome on it looks far less ornate than the examples I've seen before so appears replace and the wood body makes me wonder if someone has sculpted an old piano leg and added a commodore marker board ?

Anyone with advice, or suggestions would be appreciated.
The seller is a member here.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I saw one a couple of weeks ago. I think it was around 400 dollars. It was mother of pearl art Deco looking. Really looked The business. It was based in new Plymouth, I think. Can't for The life of me find it though. I can't remember if it was on trademe or Facebook either.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

H671 wrote:
Thanks. hopefully he'll chime in.
Hunter S. Thompson

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 523 times
Been liked: 353 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Dharmajester wrote:
H671 wrote:
Thanks. hopefully he'll chime in.
pm smallface (Dave). That's TM elbasso
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

I've seen a few wood bodied ones and that one looks legit, however for that money you COULD be looking at a stamped metal bodied Rickenbacker from the '50s (not bakelite or fry pan however) from Reverb or the like.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

robnobcorncob wrote:I've seen a few wood bodied ones and that one looks legit, however for that money you COULD be looking at a stamped metal bodied Rickenbacker from the '50s (not bakelite or fry pan however) from Reverb or the like.
In the late 70's my mate used to bring guitars, many vintage over to London from NY. Those Ricky fryingpans were often included, thrown in as a deal sweetener. Couldn't give them away back then :lol:
Hunter S. Thompson

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Dharmajester wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:I've seen a few wood bodied ones and that one looks legit, however for that money you COULD be looking at a stamped metal bodied Rickenbacker from the '50s (not bakelite or fry pan however) from Reverb or the like.
In the late 70's my mate used to bring guitars, many vintage over to London from NY. Those Ricky fryingpans were often included, thrown in as a deal sweetener. Couldn't give them away back then :lol:
Not surprising! Greg Leisz allegedly paid $25 for his first Fry Pan in the '70s.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

I have a Milton branded one. Exactly the same tinwares on the board although the peg head is different. The guy who originally built them was a panel beater and knocked a few up in his shed after work under the name of Milton. When they took off a bit I think he partnered up with some one with a bit of cash and they changed the brand to Commodore.

Search Milton lap steel.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.